PDA

View Full Version : City Codes test ?

Kitten22
1st May 2005, 05:05
Hi I am sorry if this is to basic of information that I am seeking but I could really use some help. I am just starting a new career in this industry and begin Ramp agent training on Monday. I have been memorizing the city codes for a week now and have been told I need to pass with a 85% or better day one of training. That brings me to my 2 questions, 1. Is there a practice test I can find on the net so I can get an idea of my progress. And next can anyone tell me what the basis city code test format for a ramp training class is. They told me I will be tested frontwards and backwards but will it be a multiple choice test, or written. I am only concerned because some of the cities in mexico are very hard to spell.

Please help calm my nerves. Thanks to any help provided.

Flyrr100
1st May 2005, 14:44
No offence... but if all ramp agents here have to take that test, it aint that difficult! We have some bozos who work at some of the airtports we fly into.

Kitten22
1st May 2005, 16:25
I guess what they say about Pilots are true, atleast in your case.

Take care now

NT42
1st May 2005, 19:43
Flyrr100 - that is very harsh. I can't believe pilots still have that sort of attitude. At the end of the day without ramp agents the airline industry would not work would it? In the same way as if you lost check in staff - or anybody within the trade!

Now I'm just young with aspirations of flying for a living, but when I become a pilot, commerical or otherwise, I only hope I do not take those sort of views.

And Kitten22 - I have no idea - sorry!

John Foreman.

Flyrr100
1st May 2005, 23:10
Ok... I'd usuaslly ignore this, but read my post. SOME.
Come with us to Tallahassee. Watch what happens. :mad:
Most places have great guys working the ramp. But some... Usually the contract, non union, airports... Phew!

Please... all ramp agents... Sorry to you all...

Piltdown Man
2nd May 2005, 09:39
Try searching for "IATA codes" on Google. Then only thing about the destinations your company handles aircraft for. And, as has been stated before, getting to the correct room for the test will probably score you 50% or so. Using a chair, another 15%. And if you can use the correct end of pencil, you have probably passed.

flynverted
2nd May 2005, 10:17
Kitten
Your co. probably gave you a copy of the codes you will need to know on the test, but in case they didn't, try this http://www.world-airport-codes.com/

I had to memorize 108 cities before I took my first test. Don't worry about memorizing the easy ones like DEN (Denver), MIA (Miami), LAX (Los Angelas), etc., just concentrate on remembering the harder ones that make no sense, like ORD (Chicago) , MSY (New Orleans), and CVG (Cincinnati). The one I always had trouble with was SDF, for Louisville, til someone told me it stood for Sam Davis Field, then it was easy to remember. :cool:

Good luck on your test, and let us know how you did. :cool:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/flynverted/pprune3.gif

P.S. Don't worry about the smartass comments by the pilots, they THINK they're sky gods, but they're not.

:cool:

PaperTiger
2nd May 2005, 15:35
just concentrate on remembering the harder ones that make no sense, like ORD (Chicago) , MSY (New Orleans), and CVG (Cincinnati). The one I always had trouble with was SDF, for Louisville, til someone told me it stood for Sam Davis FieldSDF=Standiford actually. ORD=Orchard Park and MSY=Moissant Stock Yards, both original names of the airfields. CVG because it's located in Covington, Kentucky.

And I imagine you only have to memorize those cities served by your airline (HP, WN ?), which makes it easier.

Celestar
2nd May 2005, 18:12
According to my experience, the only ones you really need to know are

SEZ - MRU - PPT - NAS - MLE

The ones you definately can forget are

LOS - LAD - JED - OVB - SDA

Well ... I mean ... for the "ID00 - Staff travel" side of your job of course ... :p

NT42
2nd May 2005, 18:56
Flyrr100 - I do apologise, I now see where you're coming from, its just the first time I read it, it seemed like an attack against all ramp agents.

Anyway, sorry!

John.

Heatseeker
4th May 2005, 14:43
Hi Kitten, I'm with fly. The obvious ones you CAN take for granted i.e. NYC SFO CHI LON and so on. Take the time to remember the oddball ones like MID (Merida) etc. Like any other test you have to take the more you work at it the better you will do. If you can, try to get hold of a copy of the OAG or the European ABC airline timetables. They all have a section with the city/airport codes in them.

Lotsa luck kitt

Heat