PDA

View Full Version : Freedom Flights at BRS

MerchantVenturer
30th Apr 2005, 18:18
This summer there is a large programme of charter flights on behalf of Freedom Flights out of BRS which I understand is an associated company of Excel Airways.

I further understood that two aircraft were to be based at BRS for the summer to operate these flights - an Excel B 737 and an Air Malta A 320.

Last summer an Excel 738 was based at BRS for part of each week to operate some flights, I believe for various holiday companies. I used it to go to/from SZG. In addition an Islandsflug B 734 also operated most days on other charters.

I've just checked the BRS Eastern Apron live website to see none other than B 734 TF-ELY parked on stand 12, having worked in as a positioning flight under an HH flight code but ready to go out tomorrow morning to Kefallinia as XLA (Excel) 6090.

Does this mean the Excel 737 for this summer will be this leased/borrowed? B 734 instead of a 738 (which incidentally operated some charter flights earlier this month out of BRS)?

If so, will the B 734 also operate the Wednesday SZG service this summer, something I believe that is not part of Freedom Flights?

a bristolian
30th Apr 2005, 18:44
MV

KM ops SZG and LCA on Weds. Excel does RHO.

All go!! ( new DBV service with Ou next year)

terrier21
30th Apr 2005, 19:03
Dubrovnik with Croation Airlines for those not in the know!

Fernando_Covas
30th Apr 2005, 19:15
So are Air Malta leasing out thier aircraft this year and are Skyservice being used for BRS again this year?

MerchantVenturer
30th Apr 2005, 20:28
Thanks a b,

Hope to be going to SZG again this year, probably in early September.

Air Malta - that'll be a new one.

I've travelled on Monarch (more than once), Airworld, AeroLloyd, Flybe (although I think it was in its British European stage then) as well as Excel (twice) on the BRS-SZG rotation in the past ten years.

The first time I went to Austria from BRS was in the early 1980s but the route was to MUC then, on a Britannia 732, with a coach transfer from Germany into Austria.

terrier21
1st May 2005, 15:43
Hi MV it was all painted up in Excel Colours so not sure why it positioned in as HH?!

GrahamK
1st May 2005, 15:57
A 734 in XLA coulours is at NCL as well as a 734 in HH c/s operating for Freedom flights as well as a AY 757 for SCY

WATABENCH
2nd May 2005, 01:40
No sky service in BRS this summer, was told one was going into CWL but don't know if it has or not.

DELTABOY
2nd May 2005, 10:54
Far as i know XLA are basing 1x B-737-400 at BRS for the summer & 2x B-737-400 at NCL, (all ex Islandsflug & now Air Atlanta Icelandic aircraft since the takeover) Apparently there is no IFE onboard these aircraft, so the punters might find that a bit odd if they have flown with XLA before, especially on those longer routes. I would imagine the cabin is fitted out with the XLA standard dark navy leather seating & will be operated by XLA own cabin crew with AAI flight deck. Rumour has it that BRS will become a permanent base for XLA in the future.

hostiegirl
2nd May 2005, 13:07
yes one 737-400 at brs all freshly painted in excel livery inside was a mess at islandsflug so xl have paid out to get it tarted up no leather seats however all new seats in dark blue fabric with xl leather headrests and brand new carpets.no ife but again xl have spent loads of money buying brand new personal dvd units that pax can rent out for the flight these have a choice of 10 new films and 60 music cd's plus a range of short programs little britian ect they are great as pax can chose to watch what they want!!.rumours are that xl want a permenant base in both brs and ncl but we'll see!! as gla has been a summer base for years and still not permenant!!!

MerchantVenturer
2nd May 2005, 13:20
hostiegirl

When I flew with Excel from BRS last summer on one of their Boeing 738s I had a chat with the cabin staff at the end of the return flight - my wife had broken her leg so we had to wait for the ambulift to offload us.

I was surprised to learn that the cabin staff members were Bristol-based (a summer-only base), although the flight crew was based elsewhere - I think it was Gatwick. In fact, the captain who also came back and spoke to us whilst we were waiting to get off sounded French.

The entire crew was a delight and were first class ambassadors for their airline. I can't remember if the 738 had IFE because I never watch it. I hate 99% of television and the last thing I want to see are those so-called sit-coms that I avoid when at home.

I think that last summer the Excel 738 only flew out of BRS for part of each week.

Fernando_Covas
2nd May 2005, 14:45
What happend this morning? There were delays to the Excel and Sunshine Express.

hostiegirl
2nd May 2005, 16:06
merchantventurer...
yes it flew last summer weds/thurs and saturday it was brs crew and gatwick or manchester pilots this year it is a much bigger base it's islandsflug aircraft which has been taken over by airatlanta who own a big part of xl so it's xl cabin crew all brs based and islandsflug pilots.air malta are doing some of the flights eg last year xl did salzburg and larnaca this year air malta will operate them.

WATABENCH
3rd May 2005, 08:18
Fernando, The FCA - DLM, FHY - DLM, XQ - DLM and PGH - BJV all checking in in new extention, belts couldn't cope and all hell broke loose, FHY was late i/b anyway, I'm guessing XQ delay was down to belts but not sure, XL not sure, and by some miracle the FCA went early even with belt probs, last pax still checking in as boarding started:confused: