PDA

View Full Version : "Green Leader" Tape

TMAguide
30th Apr 2005, 14:59
Does anyone have the Rhodesian "green leader" tape as an Mp3 and is willing to share it?

Green Leader was the callsign used by a Canbera over Zambia during the Rhodesian war.

:ok:

Gunship
30th Apr 2005, 15:23
Yip it is .. $8 from here : http://www.greenleader.net/ buy and send me a copy please :E

TMAguide
30th Apr 2005, 15:30
thanks Guns....:ok:

....can\'t buy thru PayPal.....SA not listed as a country...had same trouble buying from ebay.....any other sites?:ugh:

Thanks Guns, that site has the transcript....worth a read for those interested in the Rhodie war...:ok:

TMAguide
30th Apr 2005, 16:35
....I think the pilot's name was Dickson??

Gunship
30th Apr 2005, 16:59
Exactly my problem as well !

I mean credit card fraud is credit card fraud and in SA it is "surely not" scuse da pin mate ;) - more than anywhere else ?

Hate it :mad: missed such great bargains and then "pay by Paypay only" :(

TMAguide
30th Apr 2005, 17:03
I emailed them, they said that we will be able to use PayPal soon....hope so....

Gunship
30th Apr 2005, 17:12
I got away with it for 2-3 years by ending my address with "South Korea" at the end ... an "honest" ... mistake ... honest as the Huey saga :E

I skeem they got me now as no go - no pay via my "Pal" ;)

sunkist
1st May 2005, 00:58
G'day from downunder,
My son cleaned out my old, lots of background noise, cassette copy, and put it on CD and Mp3 format. Will attempt to post for all to copy soon.
Kind regards.
To fly is human, to hover is devine.

Herc130
1st May 2005, 07:11
" Lusaka Tower from Green Leader, I have a message for the station commander at Mumba from the Rodesian Airforce.

We are at present attacking the terrorist base at Westland Palms, this attack is against Rodesian dissidents and not, I repeat not, against Zambia or her security forces."

From memory (At least I have not killed off all the brain cells,:p
Would love to get hold of a copy again.:}

By the way I believe Green Leader was a Hunter circling the base while the Cannies attacked.:E

The Claw
1st May 2005, 08:27
For those in SA you can buy a video which has the recording on it from Msasa Enterprises, Tel; 011 425 1285 or e-mail [email protected] The transcript can be found in Beryl Salts book, "A Pride of Eagles".

Herc130

Since most of the conversation on the tape is between the pilot and navigator, I don't see how you can say it was a Hunter?? You have probably been reading too much into the "T-Shirt" which was printed afterwards.:p

Red, white and blue sections were the Hunters.

TMAguide
1st May 2005, 10:04
Thanks sun...would be greatly appreciated:ok: :ok:

AfricanSkies
1st May 2005, 17:55
I also thought it was a Hunter... think I read that in one of Peter Stiff's books?

Something along the lines of "Lusaka Tower this is Green Leader I am assuming control of your airspace, anything attempting to take off or land will be destroyed...do you copy?"

(a radio call I would dearly love to make to some atc's in Africa :E )

Lemme guess how it was answered...:E

....long pause.....

"ehh, rog....."

:p

or even more probably

'lascallsignsayagain" :} :}

Sandiron
1st May 2005, 18:54
You can download a full transcript of the communications between Green Leader and his navigator, including the communication with the Lusaka ATC, here:

http://www.cybershot.net/greenleader/Green_Leader_Transcript.pdf

The Claw
1st May 2005, 19:33
AfricanSkies

Rhodesian Hunters did not carry navigators :confused:

TMAguide
1st May 2005, 19:47
The full transcipt is available at www.greenleader.net . There were Hunters and a Canbera involved....and a confused Lusaka tower :D

The Claw
1st May 2005, 22:21
TMAguide

Many aircraft were involved and there was more than one Canberra. As already stated, Red, white and blue sections were the Hunters. Green section was the Canberras. Dolphin 3 was the Command Dak.

Green Section Four Canberras deployed from New Sarum.

Blue Section Four Hunters deployed from Fylde.

Red Section Two Hunters.

White Section Two Hunters.

There were four Alouette III's, one of which was shot down.

It was also the first time the Canberras used the Alpha bomb.

2nd May 2005, 08:02
There used to be a website devoted to Green Leader which had various mp3 files available for download. (all for free) Doesn't seem to exist anymore though. :{

Argonautical
3rd May 2005, 08:57
I have got the full version on CD. It lasts about 40 mins and includes the RT between pilot and nav, the actual bomb run, the tower chat and RT from the other sections in the attack.

If anyone can suggest a way for it to be distributed, feel free.

Is it wise to name the participents in the thread ?

Rhodie
3rd May 2005, 10:05
TMAGuide, others...

I have the full un-edited version on casette tape - I am Jhb based and will be willing to let you take it to copy to CD, but only if it is guarded with your life...!!! I'll even take a CD off you...

Also worth considering is John Edmond's Troopie Songs CD, which has some excellent songs and specifically the 'Green Leader' theme song, with an edited version of the transmission.

Green Leader was definately the lead Canberra - it is goose-bump material listening to the flight run-in, the navigation and the drop...

If this is for your own use, then no problem - any other use, I will put you in touch with John.

Cheers

R

sunkist
3rd May 2005, 10:50
TMA and others,
Unable to post my clear version of Greenleader. My son tells me it cannot be attached and posted on a forum such as this.Let me know where and what to do and it is all yours.When you listen to this ,read the transcript as well.You will be surprised at the hidden chopper firefight after the initial strike. It is a major rush and brings back memories of working with the greatest military machine at the time.
Lest we forget.
To fly is human, to hover is devine.
Perry.

Argonautical
3rd May 2005, 12:24
The GreenLeader website has a transcript from
Nigel Lamb, the pilot of an Alouette III where he says " A Vampire and Lynx attacked the target on our run-in....."

Which section were the Vampires ?

TMAguide
3rd May 2005, 13:59
Thanks Rhodie and Sunkist, please check ur pms....:ok: :ok: :ok: