PDA

View Full Version : Missing outbound, does return leg get cancelled?

redsofa
30th Apr 2005, 13:11
Looking to take a return flight to UK in next few weeks. Unfortunately I have a connecting internal flight which may not make it in time... long story...

If I did miss the outbound, do airlines normally automatically cancel the return leg or are there circumstances where they will allow it to be taken?

(assuming I can make it to original destination via other means?)

Anything you can suggest would be great - thanks

Wannabe Flyboy
30th Apr 2005, 13:31
Probably - who are you flying with?

I know BA will - it stops people buying cheap (for example) LIS - LHR - SFO tickets and only turning up for the second sector.

Avman
30th Apr 2005, 13:53
If it's in any way a discounted ticket, failing to show up for the outbound will cancel your return - with no refund. No problem if it's a fully flexible return ticket, although you should nevertheless re-confirm to be sure.

redfred
30th Apr 2005, 13:54
all the scheduled airlines will cancel the rest of your itinary if you no show for one part of your journey, you have to fly as per your ticket

PaperTiger
30th Apr 2005, 15:43
In this situation (if I understand correctly) they have some latitude, but it will depend on the mood of the agent you deal with. If you present yourself for the flight within a reasonable time of its departure showing that you did in fact have a missed connection (keep your BP), the return segment can be reinstated. They may even put you on their next flight to your destination subject to a change fee, again at the agent's discretion.

More than once they have done this for me at no charge but you should not expect this, and certainly not demand it. Throw yourself on his/her mercy :)

PAXboy
30th Apr 2005, 19:21
Good advice Paper Tiger. As with any related events, keep calm and polite and have your credit card ready, making it clear that you expect to pay because 99% of folks expect not to pay. "It wasn't my fault" Well, it might have been your fault for not booking the first sector with enough time for it to be late!

redsofa
1st May 2005, 02:23
Thanks for all the advice. Hopefully wont have to use it!