PDA

View Full Version : JAA at EFT

Birky
30th Apr 2005, 10:11
Hi all,

Does anyone have any views on the JAA ATPL training, followed by paid instructor time, at EFT? Specifically:

- Given that a JAA ATPL can only be ‘unfrozen’ if 500 of the 1500 hours are multi-crew hours, is there any point in staying to accrue time as a single-crew pilot beyond 1000 hours? (i.e. why do they suggest instructing to 1500 hours?)

- From what I can see on their website, the APP Program includes a single engine CFI and CFII rating but not a MEP instructor rating. Is this true?

- If so, how can one obtain 200 hours of MEP solo time on the APP Program (as per their website) without it? Where are those MEP hours being accrued? The course breakdown on the website seems to suggest that one would obtain 21 dual hours and 3 solo hours of ME time, where are the other 176 ME hours coming from? Is the MEP time being accrued whilst I am training instrument flying to students on a multi-engine aircraft?

- According to their website, my CAA medical must remain valid during the course. Given that I am forty, that the course lasts two years and that the CAA only authorise Gatwick to issue Class 1 medicals, am I seriously expected to fly back to Gatwick four times during the two-year period to keep it valid? Aren't there any CAA-approved Medical Examiners in Florida?

- Does anyone know if EFT arrange a J-1 visa for my wife if she wanted to spend some of my time in Florida with me? (i.e. is she allowed to do any work at all as a result of my studies?)

Before, you ask, yes I have asked EFT these questions too but wanted some independent input too.

Happy days...

Birky

www.themightymarcus.com/marketresearch.html

Meeb
30th Apr 2005, 10:28
I can answer 2 of your more generic questions.

A class 1 medical can be renewed in Florida, only the initial needs to be done at Gatwick. If you are considering commercial training and do not yet have a class 1, do it now!

A J-1 visa does allow your partner to wrk, up to 20 hours per week I think it is, or at least that was the case when I had a J-1 visa several years ago.

Hope that helps a little, and good luck with it.

cosworth211
1st May 2005, 00:30
off to EFT APP in sept myself.

MEP instructor rating is an optional extra, not part of course. I will be taking it myself, as I believe variety in your logbook is the key. Start aerobatics tommorow, cant wait! Tailwheel in july. how boring is 1000 hours in 172 and seneca?????

Birky
1st May 2005, 16:56
Thanks Cosworth211 for your stuff...no doubt I'll be seeing you later this year if all goes to plan. Good luck at EFT in any event.

Thanks Meeb for the info on the C1 medical. Yes, I got my initial C1 in Nov 2004 which means it's due for renewal (for 40+ ers like me) in May! Can't figure where six months went. Maybe one should work for the CAA instead, seems like a good moneyspinner to me. (incidentally, I think student pilots (i.e. no pilot job) shouldn't have to pay so much for their medicals)

Thanks also to Soliciting Stu...check your PM's.

----------------

There's always one or two more questions you forgot to ask aren't there?...

1: FREE OR NOT FREE ACCOMMODATION?

The EFT website (at http://www.flyeft.com/inside_eft/accommodation.html) says,

"This [$575 per month student accommodation] price is included in the APP™ course, but is charged separately for Modular and FastTrack™ students".

By my reckoning, that means the accommodation is 'free'.

However, on http://www.flyeft.com/app/financial_app.html

"Accommodation in our custom-built student houses" is listed under the 'What's Not Included' heading.

That means the accommodation is not free then?

2. ACCOMMODATION WHILE INSTUCTING

If the accommodation is included in the APP price, does that free accommodation extend to the period of paid instruction too?

3: PAID INSTRUCTION

On page (http://www.flyeft.com/app/financial_app.html) they say that 'Paid Instruction' is 'included' in the APP price. What does that mean? Does that mean that you get a weekly cheque/check or is your remuneration already given as part of the package?

I wish FTO website editors were a bit more careful with their wording...

Thanks again..

Birky

Soliciting Stu
1st May 2005, 19:36
Birky,

I agree. I was slightly perplexed by the EFT website too. It is ambiguous, and I am sure I can remember a time when accomodation was included some 24 months ago! However......

...as far as I know the accomodation is charged seperately at approx. GB£300/month on the APP. Through conversations with Trevor, I am told you will only pay for what you use at their own housing. So no 12 month leases, etc.

Perhaps someone with actual knowledge can help on this next point.
I can also remember a time when EFT took only 1 cadet on each month - that has now risen to 4 each month. So how has that impacted on EFT's ability to accomodate all these people on the APP course??? Will all students be found accomodation in housing, or do some have to be put up in hotels?

I also understand most instructors find their own private sector housing.

I'd be interested to hear from those people on the APP with EFT and their experiences of the course. It's one thing to speak to the FTO themselves, but to gauge genuine opinions from those engaged in the actual proceedings is another.

Hope this has shed some light on the matter, although it has probably raised more questions now :)

SS.

Alex Whittingham
1st May 2005, 20:21
Wildly off topic, but both Oxford and EFT claim trademark rights over the APP name. I noticed at the last Flyer show that a new Australian outfit was starting an APP course as well. So who owns the rights?

mattd2k
2nd May 2005, 01:53
Birky,

With regards to the J-1 visa for your wife, she would actually be issued with a J-2 visa which is a derivative of your J-1, as she would be in the US as your dependant. I believe Meeb has the number of hours she can work correct though.

Good luck with it all :ok:

Matt