PDA

View Full Version : AO recruitment on hold

missleadfoot
30th Apr 2005, 04:28
Unfortunately all Cabin Crew recruitment at AO has been put on hold until further notice. We received a letter explaining why so I'll post it so you who are waiting to apply understand whats going on.

"Ladies and Gentlemen,

SIXTH AIRCRAFT

As you may know, parts of the AO Sydney team have been analysing alternatives for the use of a sixth B767-300 from Qantas Airlines beginning late October this year (the beginning of the Northern Winter scheduling season). However, after much analysis, discussion and careful consideration by the AO management team, we have decided not to take delivery of this aircraft. This is for a number of reasons. New routes are always more challenging than current routes. Combined with the incredible increase in the price of jet fuel over the last two years, we were unable to find new routes to operate profitably on a year-round basis. We have decided that, at least for the 05/06 financial year, it is better for our long term stability to focus on performance of our current aircraft rather on growth.

Moving forward, we continue to search for incremental increased flying through improved maintenance scheduling and charter opportunities with Qantas Holidays. Meanwhile, we must remain focused on maintaining our two areas of competitive advantage - our customer service reputation and our cost control. In line with this, recruitment, including new cabin crew, is on hold until operationally necessary.

I know this decision will be disappointing, but the management team remains focused on what is best for AO in the long term.

Warm Regards

Andrea Staines"

Too all of you waiting I know this is bad news, as it is for us, we were looking forward to expansion, but as I have said in other posts, this industry changes like the wind so who knows. I know it sounds like we wont be recruiting till at least July next year but people leave and positions become available so you just never know, they still might recruit before then.

What is worrying me is what prompted them to make this decision. I thought we had a forward business plan for expansion. Have we maybe gone over budget somewhere? The dollar is always being counted as you in AO know, and thats why we pulled Sabah but we are all well aware of the rising fuel costs and although we have fuel paid for in advance at a good price that is sure to run out and we will be paying top dollar like everyone else. If it is because of the cost of fuel, keep an eye on the industry, it's going to affect a lot of airlines. Saying that, isn't AO, QF, JQ & DJ charging pax a levy for the rising fuel costs?

Good luck all.

k-lo
30th Apr 2005, 06:29
Thanks so much for passing that on missleadfoot .

I'll stop holding my breath now...

Ranjha83
30th Apr 2005, 09:38
Good on ya for sharing the info,
thanx :)

Sonique
1st May 2005, 00:26
A real shame about the recruitment. So many people had their hearts set on applying for the chance to fly international :(

I just find it strange that this letter about the sixth aircraft not coming was released at the same time we are at 'crunch' point with the EBA. Could this letter about no current expansion plans simply be 'another' scare tactic from management ?
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Anyway, things change very fast in this industry. Who knows what is around the corner ! Keep the faith AO 'want to be be's ! '

We're still having a blast up here in Cairns.:D

missleadfoot
2nd May 2005, 12:42
I really dont think this decision has anything to do with the Cabin Crew EBA, I think it's unfortunately a business decision made in a time when the airline industry is facing challenges, and there are always challenges, but this time it's the cost of fuel (but as I said aren't we all charging pax a levy for the extra cost)? A decision not to expand would not be revenge on our EBA situation. If there was money to be made by flying somewhere else they would definately proceed regardless. Obviously it's not viable to do this at this point of time. Saying that we now have 1 part time aircraft (after Sabah and Sapporo) and the company wont allow that to sit on the ground at a loss so I'm sure we will see an increase in frequency to some ports. My money is on Nagoya, maybe 10 a week. We start flying to Phuket again in July for 2 months so the aircraft will be utilised. Unfortunately we just don't need extra crew to operate this. Dont give up hope, as our CEO states in many of her letters to us, this industry is very fluid and changes. A decision made today can change tomorrow. It all depends on the industry. Sept 11 was a huge wake up for me, but this is just a hick up.

MARARA
6th May 2005, 12:00
I guess its better than putting people on and then having to lay them off.