PDA

View Full Version : "The connection was refused when..."

terryJones
29th Apr 2005, 22:44
I got modernised. I got Broadband. Magic, everything happens yesterday, compared to a dial up that staggered up to 44k on a good day, but usually crept along at 35-38k.
I digress. Since the update I have got a minor problem. I cannot log onto my bank, my internet providers account, my domain host account... because of this "The connection was refused when contacting whoever.wherever" in Netscape 8 Beta. Internet Explorer :yuk: just comes up with the 'page cannot be found' bit. Netscape worked pk with the bank et al until the broadband cd was stuffed into my machine.
The strange thing, I can log onto these forbidden places on my wifes machine, which is networked to mine and uses my internet connection to talk to the outside world.
It seems that something has changed in my settings, but where does one look for starters...
Help, before I return to the cleft stick of dial up...

Coconutty
30th Apr 2005, 07:58
Try clearing your Cookies and Temporary Files :
Internet Explorer : Tools / Internet Options / Delete Cookies & Delete Files ( can take a while if you have lots of files to clear ) then try again. :ok:

30th Apr 2005, 08:48
T.J.
Which broadband modem are you using?. It's not by any chance a Netgear DG834G is it?

terryJones
30th Apr 2005, 09:39
Coconutty.
Just tried, no difference, but thanks anyway.

Thompson Speedtouch 330.
Win XP Pro 512 mb mem, amd 2500xp, shedloads of drive space left.

Coconutty
30th Apr 2005, 13:10
The following is from Netscape and could have something to do with your problem :

"Many web sites are secured, and they require you to type a user name and password before you can enter the site. For instance, personalized pages and web sites containing your financial information usually require you to log in. Depending on how many such sites you use, and how security-conscious you are, you may find that you have many different user names and passwords to memorize as you surf the web.

Netscape Browser refers to the user name and password that you use for a given site as a passcard. Passcard Manager is a feature of Netscape Browser that remembers your user names and passwords by storing them on your computer's hard disk, and then entering them for you automatically when you re-visit these sites. In addition to remembering your user names and passwords, Passcard Manager also includes security features to protect your passcards so that other people can not access this information."

NOTE :

Known Issues

1. Usernames and passwords are stored in clear text when using the Passcard option to save your login info IF "Protect this Passcard using my Master Password" is not used

------------------------------------------

So it looks like it might be Netscape not saving / sending your Password to the bank etc in the correct format. I don't know much about Netscape but hopefully the above wil point you in the correct direction to check settings etc. and there are plenty of Netscape experts on here that shoudl be able to offer further advice.

If this still doesn't work please post any error numbers that also appear with the message ?

Also - the computer that does connect - let us know what the differences ( Operating System etc ) are between the two.

Good luck

terryJones
30th Apr 2005, 14:58
Coconutty
The wifes' pc is identical except she only has 40gb drive.

The problem is evident in IE as well as Netscape. It seems that ANY secure type page throws up. I just tried to get 'My Ebay', but 'The connection was refused when trying to contact signin.ebay.co.uk'
There are no error numbers showing when IE tries, just 'Cannot find server or DNS' at the bottom of the page.

It is getting close to the point where the Windows CD comes out and I get loads of drive space back for a few weeks.....

willby
30th Apr 2005, 18:00
Hi,
Suggest you go into your modem configuration set-up and re-enter your IP provider " User Name" and "Password" and then save settings. The address of the modem will be 192.168.1.1 or very similar.
If this is not the address contact your IP provider .
Regards
Willby

stickyb
1st May 2005, 03:26
In Internet explorer, click tools/internet options/advanced and go down to the security section.

Check which ssl and tsl boxes are ticked. Some sites cannot handle all combinations, so experiment a bit.

terryJones
3rd May 2005, 19:49
So I formatted the windows partion, reinstalled windows xp pro, browser, Thunderbird mail, video and sound drivers, and talked to my bank, internet provider, my Ebay and everything, as normal.
Until about an hour ago.... It has now reverted to 'The connection was...'
I am now getting seriously p1$$ed off with this. Norton tells me there is no virus present, and as I said before, everything else seems ok. I can log onto Pprune, and other places like that, but I just checked and I cannot even register with Tekheads, the computer bits emporium.
STICKYB
Have tried combinations of ssl/tsl to no avail.
WILLBY
Where do I find this info, the only modem showing in modems in the control panel is the old DialUp one.
Easiest way is just to use the wifes computer for the 'Secure log-on' jobs, and live with it, but I would love to know what the problem is.

Tonic Please
3rd May 2005, 22:27
Do you have the latest Service Packs from Microsoft? The latest security updates? Go to microsoft.com and press updates. it will do all that for you.

Once all that is done... read on and be aware there are 7 methods. DO one after the other, checking to see if the problem is corrected after each one. Looks long, but it isn't really...Good luck.

1) Check the date and time on your computer. If your date and time are behind the current date and time then you may not be able to view secure Web sites.

2) Make sure that any third-party firewall or antivirus programs that are installed on your computer are configured correctly and are not preventing you from connecting to Web sites.

3) Internet Explorer SP2 includes the ability to block pop-up windows. This new feature may block some Web pages. To turn off the Pop-Up Blocker, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, right-click Internet Explorer, click Internet Properties.
2. Click the Privacy tab.
3. In the Pop-Up Blocker section, click to clear the Block pop-ups check box.
4. Click Apply.
5. Click OK.

4) 1. On the Tools menu in Internet Explorer, click Internet Options, and then click the Security tab.
2. Click Trusted sites, and then click Default Level.
3. Add any SSL-secured (128-Bit) Web sites to the Trusted sites zone. To do this, follow these steps:
a. Click Sites.
b. Type the URL of the site in the Add this Web site to the zone box.
c. Click Add, click OK, and then click Apply.

5) 1. On the Tools menu in Internet Explorer, click Internet Options, and then click the Security tab.
2. Click the Content tab.
3. In the Certificates section, click Clear SSL State, and then click OK.
4. In the Personal information area, click AutoComplete.
5. In the Clear AutoComplete history area, click Clear Forms, and then click OK.
6. Click Clear Passwords, and then click OK three times.

6) 1. On the Tools menu in Internet Explorer, click Internet Options, and then click the Security tab.
2. Click the Advanced tab.
3. Under Security, click to select the Use SSL 2.0 and Use SSL 3.0 check boxes (if they are not already selected), and then click Apply.
4. Click Restore defaults.
5. Click Apply.
6. Click OK.

7) 1. Click Start, right-click Internet Explorer, click Internet Properties.
2. Click the Advanced tab.
3. Click to select the Enable third-party browser extensions (requires restart) check box.
4. Click Apply.
5. Click the Programs tab.
6. Click Manage Add-ons.
7. Click Add-ons that have been used by Internet Explorer.
8. Select all but the first of the add-on check boxes that are installed.
9. Click Disable.
10. Click OK.

Now tell me it doesn't work.

Dan.

Saab Dastard
3rd May 2005, 22:47
TJ,

Given that you experience the problem with both IE and Netscape, it is unlikely to be a configuration issue with those.

The problem must therefore lie at the network level. If you are no longer using dial-up can you delete that connection in "Network Connections"

Are you running a firewall? If so, what? (If not why not? :uhoh: )

Can you describe your network setup? You are obviously running ICS so that your other PC can connect to the Internet - is your connection to the Internet via USB cable to the broadband adapter?

Does it make a difference if you have ICS enabled or disabled?

willby
4th May 2005, 12:58
Hi Terry,
I had something of a similar problem recently. My son could access the internet etc via a wireless router connected to my dsl broadband modem and I had no access via my desktop. You have to be able to access your broadband modem in case your need to reconfigure it or reset passwords etc. I had forgotten the access address (192.168.1.1). You also need a password to enter the configuration details . It is usuallu "admin"....the username is not required. I rang the support line of my broadband provider and they sorted me pretty quickly. Hope this helps.
Regards
Willby

terryJones
4th May 2005, 19:39
Hi all...
A question by Saab Dastard prompted me to look at the state of Norton Personal Firewall, and I could not see the little globe. I opened Norton, and could not enable the firewall. I did a search round Symantec site (a challenge in itself) and it came up with some register to change. I changed it, rebooted, got me globe back, and the secure sites are back too.
If the icons of proggies in use had not been 'hidden' I would have noticed the green thing missing and posibly solved it earlier.
I sincerly thank all who have bothered to give input however, and of course, the reason for the firewall getting turned off still remains a mystery.

willby
4th May 2005, 22:10
Hi
Well done Terry! We take the old computer for granted. It's only when things go wrong that we really appreciate it.
Willby