PDA

View Full Version : mothers to be in helis

raven2
29th Apr 2005, 21:02
My wife is seven months pregnant and is reluctant to go flying as she is afraid that the noise would upset junior, a typical journey would be between 60 and 90 minutes in an R44. Has anybody any knowledge on this issue to enlighten me so that I can convince her its safe?

When junior does come it prob means no flying for 3 years anyway

Thanks

Raven
:)

BlenderPilot
29th Apr 2005, 22:01
I took my very pregnant wife flying in a TURBINE (Bell 206) helicopter several times, call me dumb but I wouldn't have taken her up in a Robinson unless it would have been an emergency.

Maybe just as safe but I would just feel so uncomfortable putting something as precious in a flimsy flying artifact.

But hey if she's aprehensive about it, just skip it, what's the use if she's not going to enjoy it.

Anne Tenner
29th Apr 2005, 22:28
I flew in all sorts of piston and turbine helicopters throughout both my pregnancies without incident. After the births, my sons flew as babies all around the UK and abroad as passengers in various helis.

Neither of them suffered any problem either during the pregnancies or afterwards. However when flying them I went to great lengths to ensure ears were well plugged with cotton wool and junior ear defenders were worn, to ensure there was no damage to their hearing, particularly from the top end noise of a turbine.

The rythmic rotor noise used to send them to sleep in minutes!

They are both fit and well, with perfect hearing - and love flying!

Whirlygig
30th Apr 2005, 00:07
If it's any help, my mother used to help bump start a Norton Commando when she was eight months pregnant with me.

And now I own a Triumph Bonneville!

So make of that what you will!

Cheers

Whirlygig

VeeAny
30th Apr 2005, 00:08
Safe as it maybe to you and I, I think Blender has it nailed, whats the point helicopters don't really matter, we all enjoy flying them, but people, particularly those that can't say otherwise are what actually matter. We have the rest of our lives to do what we enjoy, if your other half doesn't want to fly at 7 mths pregnant
then what the hell, don't go flying with her, she won't be happy , chances are neither will jr (no scientific evidence, just experience).

Regardless enjoy the kid, i've never had a helicopter make me feel the way my daughter does and I love flying.

V.

RobboRider
30th Apr 2005, 01:53
Getting back to the original comment that she is worried it might upset junior.

It used to be thought that external sounds altered the amount of movements by babies in utero. There was a lot of anecdotal evidence about certain types of music making babies "settle" or get more mobile. But these were all recalled events by mothers who may or may not have had a biased recall.

A big study that looked for the movements, heart rate changes etc was recently published which showed that actually the external noise/environment seemed to make no difference at all.

Attempts to electrically read baby brain waves suggested (though perhaps a little less convincingly) that babies don't "hear" while in the uterus.)

But having said that it may be Mum's inborn protective psychological nature may be coming to the fore. So I wouldn't pressure her.

Corax
30th Apr 2005, 02:27
Too cute, just go for it, she should do whatever she feels comfortable doing. From a father of four though, sounds like a first baby question. ;)

our kes
1st May 2005, 17:33
Raven,

i took my pregnant girlfriend flying beyond 8 months without complaint. We then took our new born daughter flying when she was 3 weeks old, she flies regularly now and appears to enjoy it, in fact its the easiest way to send her to sleep i have found.. during the pregnancy I sought advice on this from my friend, (who was the surgeon that delivered our child) and had no concerns over the safety issues for both mother and child, dont forget the ear muffs was his only concern.. kick on and enjoy it.

quote:

posted 29th April 2005 23:01
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I took my very pregnant wife flying in a TURBINE (Bell 206) helicopter several times, call me dumb but I wouldn't have taken her up in a Robinson unless it would have been an emergency.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

however, i must advise that i only took my preganat girlfriend and newborn child in my PISTON (R44 Raven 2) in dire emergencies, these included visits to hotels, battersea heliport for shopping in london and various trips to racecourses..If it wasnt for the gravity of these emergencies, i think i would have left her at home or hired a shagged out old bell 206 to do the honours.. what a c*ck.