PDA

View Full Version : Unsecured Wireless Network

Mishandled
29th Apr 2005, 20:24
I have just moved house, and set up my wireless network. Whilst I was doing this i saw an unsecured network, and, just for fun tried to connect to it. I could connect, so I looked at the WAP settings on 192.168.2.1 There were 14 computers connected to it according to the DHCP table. I suspect that not all of these belong to the owner of the router. Is there any way that I can alert the owner of this network?

The router settings are not even passworded as well! Blimey.

Saab Dastard
29th Apr 2005, 21:20
You could try sending a message in Windows (from a command prompt), e.g.

net send * To the owner of this Wireless network, it is totally unsecured

Of course I'm assuming that all stations are running windows, and only nodes that are connected will receive it.

SD

BLUE SKY THINKER
29th Apr 2005, 22:18
Hasn't Net Send been disabled, courtesy of SP2?

Although reversible, can't imagine many people doing so, if only to keep those irritating Messenger pop-ups at bay.

Saab Dastard
29th Apr 2005, 22:40
BST, In a word, no. I'm running XP SP2 and it works for me.

Anyone who is running an open W/N is unlikely to have done much to change default Windows behaviour.

BLUE SKY THINKER
30th Apr 2005, 08:51
SD.....

Well that's a puzzle, mine is and Microsoft seem to give the impression that it is (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/839018).

I have to say, your second paragraph was my first thought.

Saab Dastard
30th Apr 2005, 11:03
BST,

Having read the MS article I am surprised as you are!

I'm running XP pro SP2 and was able to send messages to a PC also running XP pro, and I checked and the messenger service is indeed disabled on my PC (but not on the target).

SD

Avtrician
30th Apr 2005, 12:05
net send doesnot rely / use ms messenger(Not to be confused with MSN Messenger), its a seperated program, might even work in unix.

Saab Dastard
30th Apr 2005, 12:19
Avtrician,

I agree that net send doesn't use messenger to send messages, but I think you will find that if the receiving station is not running the messenger service, no "pop-up" message will appear.

This is my experience.

SD

BLUE SKY THINKER
1st May 2005, 11:23
This whole "Messenger's various" debate merely mirrors the pickle everyone gets themselves into regularly when discussing related issues, like Messenger pop-up spam. ...Quite why Microsoft inflicted three similar (but not the same) programs on the world, all with similar (but not quite the same) names, is a complete mystery to me (!).

Net Send does use Messenger (as per 'Services' in 'Admin. Tools'). ...There is a Windows Messenger than comes bundled in XP, but which is invariably referred to incorrectly (adding further confusion) as MS Messenger and then we have to have a separate downloadable MSN Messenger performing a similar function as Windows Messenger.

Daft or not?

Daysleeper
2nd May 2005, 06:09
Perhaps the owner WANTS it unsecured. I run an open wireless network from my house. (although my router settings are protected). As I'm one of the few people around here who can get broadband and it costs me nothing extra I think of it as a bit of a community good.

I certainly appreciate it when I'm at work if I can get a free wi-fi signal rather than paying the criminal rates charged by hotels.:D