PDA

View Full Version : MP3 Transmitters

Kestrel_909
29th Apr 2005, 10:55
Hello,

I have a Creative Zen Touch, 20Gb.

Can anyone recommend a decent transmitter for use in the car and in the house, only about 10ft across the room, something similar to iTRIP for ipods?

Thanks

Fire 'n' Forget
2nd May 2005, 21:41
A quick Google and,

Belkin TuneCast II Mobile FM Transmitter

here (http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Section_Id=2062&pcount=&Product_Id=166893)

Telstar
3rd May 2005, 14:51
I have that model and its very good, handy in car charger included. Don't be tempted by the cheaper model that has just three presets. When your driving around you almost always find that you need to change around the frew a bit as some of the presets are overpowered by a local station, if that makes sense!

Guern
30th May 2005, 15:41
Hi

I want one of those too! However would prefer to order from somewhere nearer to UK if possible. Any recommendations?

Kestrel_909
30th May 2005, 16:49
Hello,
I ordered a cheapy off ebay at 98p and cost well over tha to ship it!

It does it's job but will invest in one of Belkin's I guess.

Check ebay for sellers in the Uk.

Guern
30th May 2005, 17:07
That sounds a tad cheap for something that works! No offence but I was looking at buying from some sort of established retailer.

Any other suggestions?

ZH875
30th May 2005, 18:45
The problem is that they are technically illegal in the UK, so you might have trouble finding a supplier here. You may have to find one in the US.

They are good though!.

Guern
30th May 2005, 18:50
Of course I only want to use it when I am on Holiday in countries that they are legal in ;) just wondered if I could get one form slightly nearer that the US?

Not doing too well with Google search as most of the sites are ones I have never heard of!

ORAC
30th May 2005, 18:58
Try here (http://www.egears.co.uk/cat_accessories.cfm) or here (http://www.fingertech.co.uk/arkon_SF250.html)

Guern
30th May 2005, 19:14
Thanks, have you used either of those websites before?

Just reluctant to give credit card details to a site I have never heard of. Thanks for the help.

ORAC
30th May 2005, 19:26
Try everythingIpod (http://www.everythingipod.co.uk/item--Belkin-Tunecast-II-Tuneable-88-108MHz--SKU0065.html).

Bo Nalls
4th Jun 2005, 14:44
I've just bought an FM transmitter from the web. Problems I found were that, as stated above, it is illegal to use an FM transmitter in the UK without a government license - yeah right :p

I went for a Belkin Tunecast II due to it's ability to use all of the FM broadcast range and not just a few spot frequencies that most, if not all, of the cheaper models go for.

I found that it is possible to order from a UK company the Tunecast II, but at a cost of approx £35 + pp. I also found that all of the companies I comtacted were out of stock!

Consequently I used e-bay to order, from the US, the model I wanted. The total cost for this was £24.00 and took 8 days to arrive. Absolutly no problems with the ordering or delivery process. If interested, a search on UK e-bay for "Belkin TuneCast FM Transmitter creative 5gb micro 30gb" will throw-up the dealer I used.

The one I got for my creative player has a standard jack connector which plugs into the headphone socket and a 12v DC car adaptor which powers the FM transmitter. Ensure that you get the correct model as I believe there is one for the I-Pod which has a special combined power/audio lead. Don't quote me, but I believe the I-pod Belkin transmitter is white whilst other models are grey.

Just be aware that you will not get CD quality sound from your compressed MP3's transmitted to your radio - quality appears to be on a par with mono FM radio broadcast.

MightyGem
26th Oct 2006, 01:44
One year on, does anyone have any further recommendation??

airborne_artist
26th Oct 2006, 08:12
MG - HMG is talking about making these legal. My guess is that you still need to purchase offshore.

Jet II
26th Oct 2006, 08:58
It is not illegal to sell or purchase these in the UK (PC World sell them) it is illegal to use them - although the government are proposing to change that law

Keef
26th Oct 2006, 17:34
I had one, and was not impressed. It worked sort-of when out in rural parts, but was useless anywhere near London because there were no "gaps" in the selection of channels it would use. It was also illegal, although I doubt the authorities would ever know you were using it (or care). The sound quality was pretty dire, too.

I now have a plain audio cable that plugs straight into the car radio (via a socket in the glovebox) and that's far, far better and a lot cheaper.

My daughter got one of those interface thingies that go into the cassette player - that works well in her car. Mine doesn't have a cassette player anyway.

Conan the Librarian
26th Oct 2006, 19:32
Arkan Audio sender. Mine is in the car and used for relaying the voice of Miss Prim on the SatNav (PDA) to the audio sytem. Works a treat and cost £15 if memory serves right. If of interest, PM me and I will double check on the details for you.

Conan

Culpa T
28th Oct 2006, 15:24
http://www.techsplosion.co.uk/
Try this address. Search for MP3 accessories.
I have the older version of the black one featured, it works fine in my car and I use it with the tuner on my HIFI.
Also I have had experience of back-up from this company and found them very efficient.
Hope this helps
Culpa