PDA

View Full Version : FlyGlobespans continued expansion (Merged)

billyg
29th Apr 2005, 07:33
FlyGlobespan have applied for slots to serve Amsterdam from Glasgow 2x daily from Aug 19. This will mean there will be 4 airlines operating the route. A serious challenge to EZY is now well underway with GLA and EDI to STN both starting soon. How will EZY react? If at all! :uhoh:

Dutchie
29th Apr 2005, 07:41
4? I thought only KL and Ezy as Air scotland only had 2 twice a week plans but no flights yet.

Hial Flyer
29th Apr 2005, 08:04
Air Scotland are supposed to start GLA-AMS on the 1st August, 5 per week.

May not happen though.

Scottie
29th Apr 2005, 10:33
easyJets stated policy is to defend its market vigorously so I await with interest....

Nil further
29th Apr 2005, 11:03
Scottie

I looks like you you and i are on the "inside" . You can probably see as well as i can that EZY management have absolutley no interest in Scotland .

R.W. and co are only interested in "exciting developments in eastern europe" a couple of aircraft in Scotland does not give them anything exciting to say to the stock exchange.

Madness though , great bases very busy year round . Flew 6 secors yesterday , actual load factor 96 .7 % not including those that we sold tickets to who did not actualy get the flight .

Dont hold your breath waiting for a response.

NF

Deeko01
29th Apr 2005, 11:29
In my view Easyjet had there chance and didnt take it and hell mend them Globespan are doing a fantastic job and are giving the Scottish public what they want.

Go Globespan, Easyjet forgot there rootes and missed the routes!

CHIVILCOY
29th Apr 2005, 16:56
Deeko01

I am in total agreeement with you.

Easy have played it safe north of the border for too long and don't deserve to expand any more.
Whoever has been in charge up here should get their backside kicked for not realising the potential and taking a chance on new routes.

nickmanl
30th Apr 2005, 13:23
I'm sure easyJet did the research into expanding, and probably decided it wasn't worth it compared to expansion at other hubs, eg Berlin and the new base at Basle, as well as the new irish flights from LGW.

Globespan aren't really competition for Easy. Globespan will always come off worse in a fight when you consider the reputation of easyJet.

airmemphis
30th Apr 2005, 14:31
FlyGlobespan will have a weekly (Friday) GLA-Hurghada (HRG) flight this summer with their brand new B738W. MYT were originally going to fly this new route (with A320s) but for some reason GSM 'too over' the route.

GrahamK
30th Apr 2005, 14:55
Werent easyJet going to start more international routes from GLA before NCL offered them a better deal?

DDF
30th Apr 2005, 17:16
I suspect easyJet are at present expanding their European bases and avoiding small bun fights on UK domestic routes. When they have that part of the business plan in place they will simply just join the dots and Scotland will form a lot of that, as will all the present bases. With now over 100 aircraft and 750 flights per day they must have been doing something right over the last couple of years.

nivsy
30th Apr 2005, 18:19
I still cant help thinking one of the reasosns if not the main one is that BAA Glasgow have done nothing to encourage Easy Jet to develop routes from GLA or EDI. While Globespan may be (and indeed Air Scotland) going to fly to AMS I actually find that frustrating. The route is already well served. Would it not be nice that someone took the old bull by the horns and tried something else within Europe from Gla anbd Edi? CSA took the plunge from both GLA and EDI to Prague. Globespan followed. Sure over capacitise AMS if the market is there but surely the Scots want to fly somewhere else low cost? Surely?

Nivsy

Pointer
30th Apr 2005, 22:29
i can only say one thing.... bring it ON...YEAH more AMS flights !!

and offcourse cheaper... what else if you fly Scotts and Dutch ehh?

Pointer :E

EK-LHR-LGW-GLA-MAN-B
1st May 2005, 10:36
GSM flew GLA-PRG befire CSA did.

DELTABOY
1st May 2005, 11:33
My god, GLA-HRG! hope its a slip for the crew, its on the limit out of LGW, let alone what its like out of Scotland & its a killer for the cabin crew to operate. :{

airmemphis
1st May 2005, 18:37
DELTABOY,

I think GSM will get a dispensation from the CAA to operate it both ways with the same crew as long as the company gives them a greater period of time off. I doubt they'll have layovers considering this will be a WEEKLY service.

Well at least that's my theory, I could be wrong.

Runway 31
1st May 2005, 19:30
How do Thomas Cook manage to Sharm El Sheik?. They fly there from Glasgow in a 757.

nivsy
2nd May 2005, 21:34
Is it really that big a difference in respect of crew hours? I reckon a few time round the stack at LGW followed by lengthy taxi way to gate etc compensates. Often aircraft routing to GLA/EDI get direct routing from ATC - ok sometimes depending on the time of the day but i should think that actual flying time/crew time would be pretty damn close these days between Southern airports and GLA/EDI.

Nivsy

DELTABOY
3rd May 2005, 08:11
Yeah, I guess it could be done at a push, but just think of the horrendous delay situation the pax would experience if there was to be a hold up anywhere during the day. It only needs a hour or so with a tech, ATC delay, baggage hold up or missing pax & the crew would be well out of hours, resulting in the requirement for a minimum rest period which could be many hours, whilst the irrate GLA bound pax sit in a crowded terminal building. Perhaps they could operate it like Monarch used to do on the LGW-BJL-LGW & carry a positioning crew down to operate the return sector, but then again its all about cost saving these days & operating everything & everybody to the limits, I know when I worked for XLA we operated the SSH & Taba flights in & out of MAN with the same crew, used to be approx 6.5 hrs each way, sometimes a bit more with head winds, it was like operating a Boston there & back & you felt like pish at the end of it! & then drive home....very dangerous & irresponsible on the airlines side I think :*

doo
3rd May 2005, 13:40
Ant truth to the talk of Globespan and longhaul?