PDA

View Full Version : QF LAX Base?

fly_guy100
29th Apr 2005, 01:21
A Qantas flight attendant based in SYD said that Qantas is in the "talks" of opening a LAX base. It would make scense because of all the flights from LAX to Austrailia, kinda makes it a hub. I hope I don't get bashed for this as I was told this information from a QF f/a. What do you guys think?

DEFCON4
29th Apr 2005, 02:00
QF crunched the numbers before and the costs against savings didn't stack up .Hence the LHR base instead of LAX Base

qfcsm
29th Apr 2005, 02:02
Sounds like a good idea.

QF could recruit locals, give them basic pay and have them beg for tips to use as allowances!

And I suppose the FAAA will threaten strikes or nuclear war if QF goes ahead...

Maybe someone should ask Gary quick draw McGraw to come back as an industrial officer. Those were the days :E

White Pointer
29th Apr 2005, 02:36
Would it really save them (QF) that much? The crews would have to operate and slip before coming back. Perhaps they would save a bit with reduced pay/conditions, and maybe the accomodation and allowances are marginally cheaper in other ports, but apart from that not much is achieved.

jettlager
29th Apr 2005, 07:25
No shortage of "illegals" in SoCal willing to work for peanuts.

Given QF plan to go daily to JFK maybe geoff can hire them to operate LAX-JFK-LAX.

I don't think Syd based crew are going to agree to do it.

Jettlager

DEFCON4
29th Apr 2005, 08:52
6,000 room nights a month,minimum slips of 36 hours,plus allowances versus health insurance,union membership and US wages plus accommodation in Sydney..there wasn`t enough cost saving.QF management aren`t even sure the LHR base is going to save them $18 mill.Dixon told a group of LHR based crew that the base would be closed if the cost savings weren`t realised.