PDA

View Full Version : Annoying pop up on pprune

Navy_Adversary
28th Apr 2005, 17:40
I have Adkiller and it zaps most of my pop ups, however there is one on pprune, ebay, bbc etc etc.
I must get hit a dozen times a day and although my adkiller usually zaps it, it does change identity a little.

It is the " xadsj, offeroptimizer" pop up, anyone else having problems and any tips on how to even stop it appearing before adkiller, I have been inundated with this one.

FWIW I run Norton anti Virus and also Zone Alarm and of course Adkiller, it must be tagging on to something somewhere.
TIA

Ridley
28th Apr 2005, 18:00
I can say this unequivocally, we have no pop-ups on PPRuNe.

You have a hijacker on your browser. They initiate pop-ups on random websites, making you think they were started by a site, which never had a pop-up to begin with.

Search for 'Browser Hijacking' in this forum, and you should find some usefull information on how to rid yourself of it.

Ridley

BRL
28th Apr 2005, 18:00
I use the browser Opera and I have not seen a pop-up for years.......... :ok:

18-Wheeler
29th Apr 2005, 00:27
I use the browser Opera and I have not seen a pop-up for years.......

Same here.
Been using Opera for over four years now I guess, and never had a pop-up.

Navy_Adversary
29th Apr 2005, 09:04
Thanks for that guys, I have now downloaded Opera. This morning a rogue dialler tried to install so that was the final straw.
Now a couple of questions but I am not very PC literate, how do I transfer all of my favourites from Internet Explorer to Opera?
Also do I need to uninstall Internet explorer from my PC or will we cause more problems than it cures?
Anything else I need to be awre of as this all seems very strange after years of IE.
TIA

18-Wheeler
29th Apr 2005, 11:00
Now a couple of questions but I am not very PC literate, how do I transfer all of my favourites from Internet Explorer to Opera?
---

Opera has an import function, it's very easy ->
File - Import and Export - Import IE favourites.

Also do I need to uninstall Internet explorer from my PC or will we cause more problems than it cures?
---

Nope, leave it there if you like.

Avtrician
29th Apr 2005, 11:18
You can even try this, at the moment I am running a version of Linux called Knoppix, that came a mgazine cover. Bung in the CD, system starts in a couple of minutes. Use one of the browsers built in (Mozilla at the moment)
as its running on a cd, nasties cant get to your computer (not easily anyway) . If there are any problems just restart.

Navy_Adversary
29th Apr 2005, 17:45
18W
Isn't it easy when someone shows you how to do it, took me all of 5 seconds. many thanks for that.
I also run Pest patrol, the amount of cookies from this offeroptimizer etc was amazing, I have now deleted them all and some others as well.
With pest patrol I can make sure that I have no further problems with my, is it squark 7575(hijacker):D