PDA

View Full Version : Thomsonfly to base loco in CWL???

aeulad
28th Apr 2005, 09:45
Looking at the new brochures for summer 2006, several of the Britannia destinations from Cardiff are operating out at the same time each day, several days a week. For example;

Cardiff>Alicante
Dep 1355
Tue
Fri
Sat

Cardiff>Malaga
Dep 0630
Tue
Thu
Fri
Sat

This pattern is very akin to a scheduled operation. Are Thomsonfly planning low cost flights out of CWL to compete with WW?

Regards

Mike

flower
28th Apr 2005, 09:52
It is one of the many rumours doing the rounds, but then we have had so many rumours about CWL until it happens i wont believe it.

MerchantVenturer
28th Apr 2005, 10:33
At the time it was announced last week that Thomsonfly were to operate some long haul charters from CWL in summer 06, it was also announced that a 738 would be based at the airport next year as well as the 757 that has 'lived' there for many years.

The following is the relevant bit from the press statement on the CWL website last week.

Meanwhile, Thomsonfly is adding new European destinations and increasing the frequency of its existing services from Cardiff by supplementing the existing Boeing 757 (235 seats) with a Cardiff-based Boeing 737-800 (189 seats) from next summer.

New destinations beginning in summer 2006 include Monastir (Tunisia), Bourgas and Varna (Bulgaria), and Crete (Greece), while frequencies to Malaga, Alicante, Palma, and Tenerife will be increased. New Thomsonfly destinations from Cardiff are also planned for the winter.

easyJet at BRS fly double-daily to both AGP and ALC winter and summer, so I would have thought there was scope to increase baby's rather modest offerings from CWL to these sunspots, certainly in the summer. This is what Thomson fly appears to be doing though whether it will be possible to book 'cheap' seats only hasn't been made clear.

Dogs_ears_up
28th Apr 2005, 14:01
The intention is (as I understand it) that all Thomsonfly.com flights become mixed within the next two years - i.e. the distinction between charter and loco becomes blurred and then disappears. Shortly, the Britannia name will disappear completely, and all aircraft will operate under the Thomsonfly.com brand.

It therefore becomes possible to purchase a seat on board as with any other loco, or to use the same seat as part of a pre-packaged or self-packaged holiday. If it helps, think of the existing TFly and Britannia as merging and becoming one large loco that also sells seats to a Tour Operator.

At least I think that is the plan... :confused:

GrahamK
28th Apr 2005, 23:17
You mean TFly becomes another Monarch?!?!

WindSheer
29th Apr 2005, 08:34
Its nice to see someone has realised CWL's potential.
There is a strong Lunn Poly presence in Wales so it should work well - especially with the amount of cr@p MYT/Going places are in.

Its a shame FC/FCA are slow on the uptake:ugh: