PDA

View Full Version : Doncaster Robin Hood "first new airport in over 50 years". How wrong ?

WHBM
28th Apr 2005, 09:22
The new DSA Doncaster Robin Hood airport, opened today, claim in a press release on their website they're " the first full service airport to open in the UK in over 50 years."

Am I mistaken to think of ....

London Gatwick
Glasgow Abbotsinch
East Midlands
London City
Belfast Aldergrove
Bristol Lulsgate
Humberside ?

Any more ?

ATNotts
28th Apr 2005, 09:29
Sheffield Airport (SZD)

The SSK
28th Apr 2005, 09:42
Tees-side, or whatever they call it nowadays.

It used to be RAF Middleton St George in the early 1960s, I remember Javelins based there

Ronaldsway Radar
28th Apr 2005, 11:29
Anyone know it's new ICAO code yet??
RR

Golf Charlie Charlie
28th Apr 2005, 11:36
Belfast City / Harbour ?

chiglet
28th Apr 2005, 11:44
EGCN
watp,iktch

PTH needs tarmac
28th Apr 2005, 12:00
Sorry, but I suspect you are all wrong as the operative words are "full service" whatever they mean. DSA have carefully devised their own definition for this term to exclude all the airports you have listed. With a bit more work they could probably claim they are the first airport ever!

I agree that with the rest of you that DSA is not really the first airport to open in the last 50 years but through the cunning use of the English language they are making themselves sound much more important than they otherwise would. Most of the public will not know any different and believe it at face value.

PTH

garethjk22
28th Apr 2005, 12:15
Does it really matter?
in the past 40 years they are the first full service airport, LCY and SZD are VERY limited in what they can do.

But in all honesty, why make such a fuss over something and nothing ... it's open, rejoice, open a bottle of lambrini or something

WHBM
28th Apr 2005, 12:49
Don't get me wrong, I wish them every success, and what is more feel they are on the way to it. But the over-hyperbole isn't needed.

I would have thought that a "full service" airport would be served by "full service" carriers (a standard industry term). DSA only has "low cost" carriers, charters and freight so far.

MadsDad
28th Apr 2005, 13:11
But the runway is long enough to take the new A380.

(Source, radio 4, this morning).

Dogs_ears_up
28th Apr 2005, 14:04
Does it matter? It's just more PR Bull, as practised by the government. If it makes them and their customers happy and creates jobs in the process, then why not let them have their moment in the sun.

brabazon
28th Apr 2005, 14:46
Is some one being "economical with the truth"? Maybe it's not important, but it smacks of inability to check the facts, not too difficult a job these days. Mind you it's a bit like someone on the radio who said that yesterday's A380 flight was the first madien flight of a new aircraft for 39 years! And the BBC who said that it was its maiden flight and that the aircraft had in fact not actually flown before - doh!!!

WHBM
28th Apr 2005, 15:46
Well the BBC has really made a pig's ear of it now:

"Robin Hood is the first large airport to be opened in the UK since Stansted in 1966" :rolleyes:

However did they invent that ? I don't think anything changed at Stansted in the 1960s at all !

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/south_yorkshire/4491025.stm

eurostar builder
28th Apr 2005, 15:59
Is there any Aircraft based here other than thomsonfly

Is there any flying clubs or hangars used for light aircraft

Or an airiel shot of the place