PDA

View Full Version : Emirates(Dubai) without family...?

caubrobro
28th Apr 2005, 02:59
Hi guys, just been called to d interview...but I'm concern about my vacations there....
Does anyone knows how it is living/working at Dubai/Emirates without family ? Would I be able to come back home at least 3/4 times a year , 10/15 days each ? I guess EK would not be happy with this kind of living hun ?
please, if you are a EK pilot, give me a inside view ! thanks !

Payscale
28th Apr 2005, 16:58
Well. Let me put it this way. If your main concern is vacation, then maybe the middle east is not the place for you. Maybe you have children and want to stau close. Dont come. Here things change daily. The contract you sign will be changed without notice. Dont misunderstand me. Its a great place, but you must be flexible. Thats how they make such massive results. Cheap labour and long hours

Believe Brother
28th Apr 2005, 17:47
You cannot come to Dubai thinking you can commute. All it will do is lead to frustration, and strain on the family. If you don't think it is right for your family, best to stay where you are. As payscale says, rules change here regularly. The latest is a 'fatigue module' input in roster builds, which has essentially eliminated any chance of more than about 4 days off in a row. It is also difficult to get days off around leave now due to crew shortage. However, why not come down and do the interview, have a look around, and then decide. EK must realize that they need you now, probably more than you need them. When you see it first hand, maybe it might just suit your family?

caubrobro
1st May 2005, 11:36
Thanks guys !

But I'm still looking for a more specific answer.
Does anyone actually do this :
Work for EK without family in Dubai ?
Going home 3/4 times a year ?
Is possible to divide leaves + days off to have a block of at least 14 days free ?
...being a F/O 777 or A330 .
Thanks.
:O

donpizmeov
1st May 2005, 12:05
I think Believe Bro kinda answered this for you. The chance of getting 4 days off in a row is really low. This month I had a group of 4 days off, but magically a reserve day has been dumped in the middle of them. And the roster is already for over 99.5hrs...so would be illegal to fly on this day anyway without destroying the remainder of the roster.
Rules re leave have also changed. We use to be able to bid for days off before and after leave, and it worked. Recently however no days off are being given prior to leave being taken, and only one day off is being given at the end. Prior to my last lot of leave I was given three days off, an then a trip which returned at 2200hrs on the evening prior to my leave commencing. I was in the top bid group that month and had bid for the days off....go figure.
So to answer your question, can commuting be done...well yes it can, and is being done. But it is very hard work. If you are willing to just take a week of leave here and there, and not around the peak leave times, you should be able to get home. That is if you are lucky enough to be by a computer when the leave bid period opens, as the days are eaten up pretty quickly. Realisically though, I think you should not count on the extra days off before or after, as they probablely will not happen, but if they do they will be a bonus.
Remember that over here you have to write and get permission to leave Dubai on days off. Usually they say ok...but on occasions they will say no...has happened and will happen again.
Hope this helps.

Don