PDA

View Full Version : Dash 8 Loco Lights

OneBall...
27th Apr 2005, 22:47
Hi guys, Quick question for the Dash Drivers:

I've noticed some of the -8s around cruise down final with their landing lights flashing, alternately ON and OFF. My questions are:

1. Is this an automatic or manual function?

2. If it's manual, who does it, the FO??

3. If it's the FO, does the capt have to instruct each switching, as in:

"Left langing light ON, Right OFF"

"Right landing light ON, Left OFF"

and so on and so on.....

Or is it something much simpler like an auto-function or something.....

And why don't they all do it?

Serious replies only please......

blueloo
27th Apr 2005, 23:01
Sounds like 'pulselights'. You can select On, off , or pulse. In which case the pulse mode has them flashing, and i believe they can also be set to flash on receipt of TCAS TA/RA. In an attempt to improve visibility.

Sue Ridgepipe
27th Apr 2005, 23:37
3. If it's the FO, does the capt have to instruct each switching, as in:

"Left langing light ON, Right OFF"

"Right landing light ON, Left OFF"

and so on and so on.....

And you expect a serious reply?:rolleyes:

Capn Bloggs
27th Apr 2005, 23:40
Sue, I second that. Oneballs, get with the program! :O

Capt Claret
27th Apr 2005, 23:59
Oneball

I believe it's an attempt to prevent/reduce bird strikes.

The theory is that birds can't easily distinguish and approaching aircraft if there's no relative movement between said bird and aircraft.

Pulsing lights apparently create the illusioin of relative movement, and supposedly allow tweety to get out of the way.

Capt Fathom
28th Apr 2005, 00:26
More than that Capt. It's to increase the chance to be seen by other aircraft. Especially in G airspace and MBZ's.

Pimp Daddy
28th Apr 2005, 00:51
Auto function, select to PULSE.
From memory all the Sunnies aircraft have it, the Southern ones did and the Eastern ones are being fitted as we speak (EAA are always a bit behind the times).

Improves visibility as said in MBZ etc, also appears to reduce birdstrikes.

http://www.preciseflight.com/transport.html

Normasars
28th Apr 2005, 04:33
One must then pose the question:

Why don't all types have this function then?

Surely if it were true all Boeings and Airbuses would equip their types with this mod!!!!!

Kanga767
28th Apr 2005, 05:17
Hey I've seen that!

I always thought it was my eyesight!!

Kanga

Laikim Liklik Susu
28th Apr 2005, 05:42
Yanks have been using it for AGES - every Southwest 737 I have seen has them.

Kind of effective at not only anti-bird, but VERY distinct recognition "grabber". You sure notice them, even a long way off.

No doubt, as they become more common in Aus and worldwide, the nuts will have UFO sightings. "It flashed on and off. Ain't no aircraft!" :p

AerocatS2A
28th Apr 2005, 05:46
I've also seen Islanders with this.

I think Aspiring Air's Islanders in Wanaka, NZ have alternating landing lights, makes them very visible.

blueloo
28th Apr 2005, 06:09
Qantas 737's are being equipped with it now. I think TJM may have it installed already.

OneBall...
28th Apr 2005, 09:32
Thanks guys.. that explains it.

A very good idea for heightening visibility of an approaching aircraft both to birds and to other pilots although somewhat mesmerising....

Kind of like staring into a camp fire or The Coyote watching the head-light of that train coming closer and closer until....

And it's a relief to know they don't make the poor suffering FO work the switches endlessly as part of his "routine".

Interesting that other types are being retro-fitted.

Capt Fathom
28th Apr 2005, 10:54
I can't believe you thought the FO would have the time to spare to flick the lights on & off! :ugh:

OneBall...
28th Apr 2005, 11:05
*Sigh*

I didn't. Those comments were prompted by my ironic and dry sense of humour, such as it is.

Buster Hyman
28th Apr 2005, 11:08
It really works. Whenever I step onto a dance floor when the lights are flashing, all the birds disappear!

Sunfish
28th Apr 2005, 17:33
What next? "Shoo Roo" transmitters?

Pimp Daddy
28th Apr 2005, 18:21
What next? "Shoo Roo" transmitters?

Nah - in this day and age there is guaranteed to be a high pitched whining from at least one of the crew so shoo roos would just be doubling up.

yowie
29th Apr 2005, 11:13
Buster,I thought it was just me!:rolleyes:
These pulselites have been around in the states for years,seen them on J3's to 73's,Oz just catching up again,just ask Dick!:cool:

hurlingham
1st May 2005, 02:29
SHOO-ROO's don't laugh but:
I understand that a couple of private strips do have Shoo-roo's installed. Reports I have had is that they work

SeldomFixit
1st May 2005, 06:03
That would explain the white flashing light on Airbii tailcones - to prevent birstrikes.........:)