PDA

View Full Version : CPL Skills Test Routes?

Future Pundit
27th Apr 2005, 21:30
Please could examiner/instructor help me with this my query?

I am due to start a modular SE CPL at OAT this summer an am presently hour building by flying nav routes around the local area trying to get used to the airspace.

Are there any preferred routes for the nav part of the skills test from Oxford or does the examiner just pick a point to plan a flight to? Also, how long is the en-route nav part?

Any help would be great to help my navigation traing.

18greens
28th Apr 2005, 22:58
But thats cheating!! How can you hope to be a pundit by cheating?

Do the course, fly the techniques you are taught by the school and the skills you learn will help you in future life as well as the CPL test.

As I recall the total test is 2 hours, nav is about a 50 mile route for leg one. The destination is often a fairly insignificant point (very small disused airfield in my case) , not a massive town and not a standard route.

Enjoy the course, I found it great fun.

Future Pundit
29th Apr 2005, 21:55
Thanks 18greens.

I think I phrased my question badly. What I am really interested in is the type of navex that is required, ie to an a/f or to a point rather than always through D class airspace etc. I am trying to fly as much as possible to get used to the type of airspace that I will be training in and increasing my flying accuracyin the process.

raisin
4th May 2005, 16:02
You just need to be comfortable flying through any airspace in VFR that you might encounter on a commercial flight. I'm not sure if the examiner has to take you through Class D airspace or a MATZ, but I would of thought that by the time you actually sit your test you should be able to comfortably handle that situation.

As regards destination, it could be anywhere. I did mine out of Glos, and although I didn't get it on my test, I was sent to Inkberrow once which I'm sure is only marked on the maps by the CAA as it's a b**** to find.

Good luck....