PDA

View Full Version : Dazed and confused

acw350
27th Apr 2005, 15:48
Hi all just really looking for some advice.

As many posts start "i am sure this has been covered before!" but ..........

I am currently nearly finished my atpl groundschool and in the final stages of deciding on where i need to place a deposit for my flight training. I am at an airfield which is convienient for accomodation and have a varied choice of schools to choose from.

The school i am at no names given is very good at the ground school but appears to just lack something when it comes to the flying side and i am a bit put off by it. But if i stay i get a good price and the chance for a complete recomendation from a reasonably good training provider. Or my second option is to cut my chances and go to another school on the airfield pay a little bit more and know i will get the job done because they are good but not get the recommendation because i did not do everything there.

Anyone with any good views i would very much appreciate them.

Regards

Mega wannabe !!

buster172
27th Apr 2005, 21:37
Hi acw350,

I'm not sure this is a good view, but it is mine :)

I think if you work hard and get first time passes you have recommended yourself.

Even though you may not get a 'personal' recommendation from this other school, owing to what you said about the new schools reputation, you may be more likely to receive the training that gets those first time passes.

If the school has a good reputation in the industry, to the airlines that is, then when you send a CV/go for that interview, the people hiring will have an idea of the training you received. I think it all depends on what you’re aiming for. The little airlines I want to fly for are more interested in you and your 'experience' not just where you got the tick in the boxes.

Its a big decision for sure.

All the best,

Buster

:ok:

Nice flaps
27th Apr 2005, 22:12
acw350

In your position I would certainly go to another school. It is especially important for the flying side of your training that you feel comfortable in the school you have chosen and are receiving the best possible instruction for you as an individual. To stay at a place you have reservations about, on the basis that they may give you a recommendation would not make sense IMHO. You may also find that said recommendation does not turn out to be the golden ticket you think it might be anyway, depending on the FTO in question.

The training you are about to undertake is the foundation for the rest of your career. I attribute obtaining my job to a combination of things, none of which were a recommendation.

All the best,

NF