PDA

View Full Version : Station Visit

Raffles01
27th Apr 2005, 14:02
Afternoon Ppruners!

I've just had confirmation of a place booked at OASC (Pilot/ WSO) in a couple of months and I thought a station visit might do me a bit of good having not gone down the ATC / UAS route.

I've tried contacting my AFCO a couple of times but it was like I was speaking Greek to them. They said these didn't really exist and that was that!

I've also tried the usual Pprune search for phrases such as station + visit, familiarisation + visit and general + chat + with + aircrew + types, but to no avail.

So if anyone could help it would be much appreciated. Would I get one in such a short space of time? Are they usually catered for? Who would I have to ring to arrange one?

I was thinking a visit to Linton would be best as the guys and girls are in training and I have a few questions I'd like to ask. Or are front line stations more willing?

Bah! Was hoping to get through to OASC without having to post any wannabe q's on this forum but I could do with a bit of help on this one guys!

Thanks.

airborne_artist
27th Apr 2005, 14:10
Did you bin your application to the RN, or is this in parallel?

Raffles01
27th Apr 2005, 14:21
No not at all, this is in parallel. I had my RN interview last week and they asked me to notify them of my success/ failure at OASC in terms of the aptitude tests as this would be sooner than if I were to take FATS separately. If I don't get one I don't get the other. I'm keeping my options open in a time of tough recruitment.

BigGrecian
27th Apr 2005, 14:47
Choose a station (I would suggest a fast jet station) and look up the telephone number via the operator. When you get through hold to speak to a MOD operator and ask for the CCO - Coporate Communications Officer - speak to them and they'll be able to sort you out with something.

Raffles01
27th Apr 2005, 14:51
Okay BG thankyou very much for that. I didn't know it was the CCO I had to speak to so I didn't want to waste anyones time at the station trying to explain my situation. Cheers.

Judge Rembrandt
27th Apr 2005, 16:45
Raffles,
Firstly good luck with selection - you are quite right, selection is not just tough, it is cut-throat at present so be as well prepared as you can. If unsuccessful with GD P or WSO have you considered NCA? Cranwell do famil visits prior to selection - you may wish to take advantage of one of these. Contact TCO on Cranwell Ext 6699 to arrange. Also, as an aside, which AFCO was unable to assist in your enquiry? Not a witch hunt - the AFCO trainers here are always looking to improve their Cse/service to staff and feedback is always welcome.
Rgds,
JR

sonicstomp
27th Apr 2005, 18:03
When I was in a similar position (in about 1994), I wrote a letter to about six different OC's of various front-line sqns (all FJ) asking to visit....

This worked a treat - got a one-week visit to 617 (when they were at Marham) and a week at 100 (when they were at Wyton)...

A letter goes a bit further than ringing the Stn IMHO...

Good luck at OASC!

Regards,

SonicStomp

Raffles01
27th Apr 2005, 18:19
JudgeRembrandt

Thanks for the reply. Check your PMs!

Sonicstomp

Great thanks for that. Could you tell me how long it took to get a reply? OASC is in 2 months. I left it this late as I wanted to make sure I was actually going for testing- hopefully won't regret it!

:\

chrisburden21
27th Apr 2005, 20:11
Having just booked myself a slot on Novembers IOTC I to have been seeking visits to Stations, specifically flying squadrons. I contacted most of the CCO/CRO via email and recieved responses within the week.
Goto the main RAF website and look for the individual station sites for contact details.

There are a few that need written requests.

PM me and I could suggest a few.

Cheers

CB

Pontius Navigator
27th Apr 2005, 21:02
Would you believe it is not CCO?

From Monday it is MCO - Media Comminucation Officer.

Good station to request a visit is Cottesmore as they ahve the more advanced organisation model.

buoy15
27th Apr 2005, 22:10
Raffles

You might need to take some ID with you, plus a hard hat, safety specs and some sort of decontam coverall.

You may also need to be conversant with the stn's policy regarding H&S, EO, Diversity management, Food Act, COSSH, IIP, FOI Act, use of cameras, laptops and mobiles, OOB areas, clean area practices, NDT testing areas, noise related hazards, Fire regulations, Evacuation procedures, First Aid, Mess Rules, lost children's tent, and the paying of compliments etc, etc.

However, I am sure you will be fully briefed on this, which should take up most of your alloted visit time.

Enjoy !!

Vox Populi
27th Apr 2005, 22:21
I can't believe its gone from Community Relations Officer to Corporate Communications Officer to Media Communications Officer.

That is such a bad sign for any organisation....what is going wrong with the RAF??

Or is this a collection of immature senior officers wanting to 'stamp their authority' during their 24 months in charge.

Raffles01
27th Apr 2005, 22:22
Buoy15

No problem! I'm well versed in all these areas, and more, for my date at OASC.....Whats a Mess?
:} :uhoh:

Chris- check PMs!

buoy15
28th Apr 2005, 00:32
Raffles young chap!

A "Mess" is what you might find yourself in if you're irresponsible

However, if you are in the Services, the "Mess" (or Wardroom) will be an exclusive club and conviviable place where you can meet people of your own maturity and stature, where you can relax and enjoy all sorts of activities, from reading magazines, to formal events, like dining nights, hosting VIP's - sometimes Royalty; to informal events like Summer and Christmas Balls, BoB and other Cocktail parties.

If you become a fighter jock, you may choose to set fire to the piano or trash the main bar during a Friday Happy Hour.

Normally, you should only do this if your Boss or the Staish is not present.

You should get lot's of applause and the bill, and it might affect your promotion prospects.

On the contrarory, you may be seen as a 'good egg', and aspire to an AFC or Air Rank

Your choice

Good Luck!!

teeteringhead
28th Apr 2005, 07:57
you can meet people of your own maturity and stature, where you can relax and enjoy all sorts of activities, ... for more details of the above, check out the "RAF Odiham" thread:E :E

Safety_Helmut
28th Apr 2005, 08:23
you can meet people of your own maturity and stature, where you can relax and enjoy all sorts of activities,
Yes, and I believe the government now funds five sessions a week :E

Safety_Helmut

Raffles01
28th Apr 2005, 08:43
Heres me thinking 'mess rules' are the elastic limit of one's trousers after an inadvertent spin on one's first solo Tucano flight!

Thanks everybody for your replies, it's much appreciated.

QuidProQuo
28th Apr 2005, 14:08
Some Stations now have a Community Careers Liaison Officer in post. The AFCO should have their details. The best bet is to contact the AFCO and say you want to visit a Stn with a CCLO - they should sort it. If I remember correctly I think Cottesmore and Brize have CCLOs - may be others. Good luck.