PDA

View Full Version : BA reapplying...

flying_lawnmower
27th Apr 2005, 13:02
Just wondering if you DEFINATELY have to wait the full 12 months before reapplying to BA... Got to the last stage last time and itching to have another crack at it...
Anyone got any info as it doesn't say anything on the new "Flash" website layout????
:ok:

buttline
27th Apr 2005, 17:31
I too got the ambiguously worded PFO from BA. Phoned up to try and get feedback and ask if was just recommended not to re-apply as opposed to an instruction not to.

Was told feedback only available to internal candidates and the assessement is valid for one year.

flying_lawnmower
28th Apr 2005, 14:10
Ok, so that means that the one year stands...

Frustrating as they keep advertising and would love to have another go... Thanks for the reply...:ok:

Airbus Girl
28th Apr 2005, 19:15
Someone I know tried to get into BA but failed on the sim check - this is someone who has previously been top of the class in training, type rating, sim assessments, etc.... and flys jets for an airline. He told me that he got a call from John Monks advising him to reapply. There was a fairly full debrief about the sim check and feedback on performance, etc. My friend reckoned he must have been a marginal pass and later heard that John Monks was phoning a few people up. BUT, and its a big one, when my friend asked when he could reapply he was told he'd still have to wait the full year!!!! I don't know if what my friend was saying was true, but if so, then it seems a bit odd that a) BA are ringing people up begging them to reapply and b) then telling them they have to wait a year before doing the whole 2 days again.
Anyhow, the point is, feedback obviously IS available.

flying_lawnmower
29th Apr 2005, 09:58
Thanks Airbus Girl, i too was in the lucky position of getting lots of Feedback from the sim which was extremely helpful...

Just frustrating that you have to wait the full 12 months as i sooooo want this job and want to jump straight back on the saddle to get it....

The 12 months has gone pretty quickly i only have 6 more months to go, but it just kills me when i keep seeing them advertising when i know i want it so much...
Cheers:ok:

l8starter
29th Apr 2005, 10:38
For what it's worth-because it'only heresay-I was flying with a skipper,who had recently flown with an F.O who had recently failed the sim;and "allegedly" after the detail the instructor suggested that he might like to re-apply for another attempt in a months time !????!

As I say only heresay.

Good luck

TRon
29th Apr 2005, 18:35
Is it from the date of application on the website or from the assesment day?

MAX
30th Apr 2005, 10:18
My guess would be assesment day. After turning down a position I was told the hold pool is also 12 months from the 'first' assesment and not the sim.

Good luck.

MAX:cool:

flying_lawnmower
1st May 2005, 19:08
Thanks for all the feedbeack guys, as i said earlier on in the thread, 6 months has already passed by and i just hope that BA will still be recruiting in November when i can apply again...

Good Luck to everyone in the same boat, and lets hope that by this time next year we'll all have achieved what we want...

Happy Flying

F_L :ok:

wingandprayer
1st May 2005, 19:42
You guys are lucky. Can't even get the first go despite having more than they are asking for, even with a rating and sufficient hours on a BA type.

If you look at the website, they have now changed the format. Better apply again for the 4th time in as many months.

MR777
14th May 2005, 09:59
Would anyone who has done the sim like to comment on how the session went? What the detsil entailed, route, problems etc, and if you got any feedback what the areas they said were good and bad. I have a sim in a couple of weeks and I am trying to understand what happens and what they like and what they dont!!

Happy Landings :}

The Greaser
14th May 2005, 10:03
No feedback, no hints on how you did - but you know whether you did well or not don't you after a sim?
Anyway on my assessment I flew STN-MAN, Buzad SID, airway to Trent and then DAYNE STAR, holding at MCT and then procedural localizer approach, no problems, no diversions.
Partner did MAN-STN, SID to Honiley into the LOREL arrival for STN. As we approached Barkway we were told STN would be shut for 2-3 hours. We called company and they advised us that Luton would be the preferred alternate and so we diverted to LTN, into the NDB hold for a couple of laps and then the procedure for the ILS, landed. Game Over.

There are other threads about with some other details as well.

Good Luck

mr ripley
14th May 2005, 10:36
I was 'The Greaser's' partner on his sim detail and we have both got offers. The briefing that we got on the day really helped and set the scene for what I believe BA were trying to get from the detail. Whilst knowing SIDs, STARS, airfields, approaches and injects that have been used may be of some comfort, as our assessor said:

'we know that there is info on the internet about the sim, please approach the detail without any preconceptions about what you may think might happen'

I think that BA are looking for trainablity and how you work together over pure flying accuracy. It would be churlish to invite 'dislocation of expectation' when the scenario veers away from the PPRUNE model.

The detail that I flew with 'The Greaser' seemed to go relatively smoothly, but talking to friends who been for the sim, they have had a varied experience, mainly due to the interactions with their partner.

Regards

The Greaser
14th May 2005, 10:50
As Mr Ripley says, it helps if you get along with your partner, as CRM is obviously a large component of what BA are assessing. The assessor also will throw in some mental arithmetic questions just as you are under the highest workload as well (ie just when entering a hold or joining a localiser) such as 'if you are burning 1700 kg an hour what is your endurance if you have 6 tonnes of fuel' or 'how long will it take to climb from FL90 to FL350 at 1700fpm.

You Gimboid
20th May 2005, 20:29
There's not necessarily any harm in making a few c0ckups as well - I thought I'd made a horlicks of a couple of exercises, but still got a job offer.

One thing I would say and that is if you do make a mistake, just acknowledge it, put it behind you and drive on. If you start thinking you've blown it then the remainder of your detail will suffer as a result, and you probably will! Recover and fly a reasonably good trip for the rest of the detail, and chances are you will salvage a pass.

Make sure you learn all the pitch/power and configuration stuff for the 1-11 that they send you. I was told they are not expecting perfection, but do expect to see improvement in your handling, good CRM, and leadership from handling pilot. He also told us that you are only assessed to DA/MDA so the landing or go-around are not assessed.

Good Luck!