PDA

View Full Version : Work in SA

Pin Head
26th Apr 2005, 22:38
Is it true it is impossible to find work in SA. Are there any jobs there at the minute, or will there be. Is it similar to oz, i.e. impossible?

Pin

High69
27th Apr 2005, 00:18
PH.
It's never impossible. There is always a chance, but it depends on what your objectives are and whether you possess the necessary qualifications required? You know ... the usual jargon?

Are you targeting the Airline's (God forbid)? Perhaps you are aiming for charter work - your likelihood of success doubtful - but as always ... it depends on your level of experience (and on other occasions, skin color).
Do you have intentions for contract work? That may be a step in the right direction, provided you have the applicable rating's (King Air 200, B1900 to name a few).

As I said, it depends on what you've got to offer and the expectations you may have. :confused:

Pin Head
27th Apr 2005, 09:10
DHC8 and EMB145.

Any use?

BAKELA
27th Apr 2005, 17:23
DHC8 and EMB145 the Airline's (God forbid) 'Nough said.

wigga
4th May 2005, 02:07
What about work for a new CPL licencee?

210's? 206's? Is there much work going?

Solid Rust Twotter
4th May 2005, 05:36
Try Moremi Air in Botswana. I believe they were looking for three C206 drivers recently. You have to get out here, though. Sending a CV and waiting for a politely worded invitation will get you nowhere. Remember, you're competing with a load of local guys as well.

wigga
8th May 2005, 12:55
Are there many guys looking for work? Lots of flying training? Are there lots of unemployed CPL's looking for work?

I live in Australia so it's a bit hard for me to wonder up there without knowing how you guys work..
I have a CPL, 500hours including instructing and charter and i've always wanted to spend time in Africa, the animals and the games parks, would make some awesome flying I bet, you guys are extremely lucky! Don't know about a forced landing in the savannah though! :D

Do any of the local charter companies have websites or contact numbers?

I have no idea where to start! But i would love to do a few years worth of charter in your country.

Solid Rust Twotter
8th May 2005, 13:12
Well, the African Aviation forum is a good place to start. Just do a search for jobs in Botswana, Zambia, Kenya, Tanzania and so on. There are a number of Ozmates and Kiwis currently in Maun.

As far as competition goes, there are unemployed ATPLs looking for work in SA too, but the companies have some weird recruiting procedures. Sometimes they're too slack to even look through the pile of CVs and just give the job to the next guy to walk through the door if he's available. Swings and roundabouts.

The SACAA are making life difficult for foreign crews (no SA licencing w/o work permits and so on...) which doesn't bode well for reciprocity in the rest of the world. We'll end up with a situation where expats come flooding back and even less jobs will be available.

SA may not be your best option but it is possible to get a flying job here if you meet the requirements.