PDA

View Full Version : mail route jobs down under??

nick14
26th Apr 2005, 13:30
hi all,
Been busy today haven't i!! Anyway to the matter in hand. Does anyone have any info or experience of flying mail in australia or anywhere like that? Is it worth the effort just to start a flying career after gaining fATPL?? where can i find out more?
Thanks
Nick

kwaiyai
26th Apr 2005, 15:31
Hello Nick,
Might be worth asking that on The Downunder section. I spent 10 years in GA before moving where I am flying Bigger things. Dont regret it to much either.
Regards,

redsnail
26th Apr 2005, 15:33
Didn't fly mail on my first job in Oz (Kimberley region, WA). I flew freight, govt pax, scenic pax, you name it. My 3rd job involved freigt/mail/pax in outback Queensland.

Remember, the term fATPL is a marketing short hand way of saying CPL/IR with ATPL theory subjects completed.

Gaining employment as a pilot in Australia isn't as easy as just lobbing in there and expecting to start work the next day. You need to be able to work in Australia for starters, convert your JAA CPL over to an Australian one (not that tricky thank goodness) and then join the hundreds of hopefuls out in the bush waiting their turn to start.

The competition is very very tough. However, the bush flying I did was a tonne of fun and very glad I did it. :D