PDA

View Full Version : Height Restrictions

I Just Want To Fly
26th Apr 2005, 11:11
Many airlines seem to have height restrictions of 163 - 183 cms

I understand the importance of these, particularly the minimums - you have to be able to reach the o/h lockers.

I am 184.5cms does this mean I have no hope at all of getting into QF? Will my dreams of one day being based in Sydney as a Longhaul F/A (of course, ONLY AFTER I have done my dues waiting and then with MAM or JQ for 10 years or so)....... be denied boarding?

I know NZ accepts up to 185cm, and EK doesn't say anything on there website. Any other suggestions?:confused:

I have flown more than the average person, (that isn't a F/A of course) on just about every aircraft type, even those weird Tupolov ones that always seem to fall out of the Russian skies. The only time I have ever risked bumping my head on anything was in the Crew Bunk of an SQ 744, where I think even the petite SQ F/As had to bend over.

*** BOKU TOBITAI ***

jan brady
26th Apr 2005, 11:43
Try EY. I believe thay have just got a minimum of 170cm;)

emmathestar
26th Apr 2005, 14:50
most airlines are 5'2- 157.5 cm! luckily im dead on 157.5!

Enigma76
26th Apr 2005, 17:04
Are there any airlines (regional or otherwise) who do not specify a minimum height?

OZcabincrew
27th Apr 2005, 06:44
Hi!!!

Qantas does have a maximum of 183cm which i am right on. There have recently been though a couple people who are 184 etc who have just come online, they must be very good at hiding the bend in their knees or the person checking just didn't do a good job? The reason i believe there is a maximum with QF is that on certain 737's there are tv monitors located above the aisle and therefore would be a saftey hazard if you were any taller. I am 183 cm and i can walk underneath them but they still just skim the top of my head. If you were any taller it would be uncomfortable to have to bend each time you go under a monitor. Still definately go for it though!!!!!!!! as you said i don't know how long it would take you to get into long haul, maybe 50 years who knows!!!

Good luck anyway!
Oz

SkySista
27th Apr 2005, 07:18
i don't know how long it would take you to get into long haul, maybe 50 years who knows!!!

Sounds like United!!!! :E

Sorry. I couldn't help it, I'll be good, I promise.... ;)

HZ123
27th Apr 2005, 12:52
Surely this spec is discrimination and they could only discriminate against those applicants that were too short and unable to reach overhead storage / lockers.

OZcabincrew
27th Apr 2005, 14:20
I guess being too tall as well can be a OH & S issue with tv monitors etc, maybe there's another reason for it too? can anyone enlighten us on this?

Oz

Enigma76
28th Apr 2005, 13:39
Does anyone the minimum height restrictions and if there is any flexibilty? I am just over 5FT 1 in

OZcabincrew
29th Apr 2005, 10:28
Hi!!!!!

As far as i know, height restrictions are there one for safety reasons and also because its an easy way to cull interviwees. If they need to cut 50 people, then people that don't meet the height requirements are easy targets, same as those without senior first aid and RSA etc.

Oz