PDA

View Full Version : Demise of F1250

L1A2 discharged
26th Apr 2005, 10:14
wef 1 Apr 05.

No 1250s will be issued, instead *we* are getting .... a MOD F90.

If I'de wanted a F90 I would've joined the Army in the first place. :(

lineslime
26th Apr 2005, 10:21
Oh dear, does that wean no rank on dislay on the ID card?

ZH875
26th Apr 2005, 10:45
Oh dear, does that wean no rank on dislay on the ID card?No rank on ID Card won't make any difference, the Wodney's will still be identifiable, because they will continue to drive in their service headwear.:confused:

Cat5 in the Hat
26th Apr 2005, 12:12
According to JSP blahblah:
service number, surname, initials, rank, date of birth, height and expiry date (four years from date of issue or at discharge/retirement, whichever is earlier)

ORAC
26th Apr 2005, 12:14
Get rid of ID cards altogether. The RAF is small enough now you should all know each other.....

Nil nos tremefacit
26th Apr 2005, 13:22
This will lead to a European Union military ID card, mark my words:\

BEagle
26th Apr 2005, 13:32
Unless your lot get voted in. Which is highly unlikely!

Roll on the €uro - and stop thieving banks charging transaction fees every time people use their credit/debit cards outside the UK.

Cambridge Crash
26th Apr 2005, 15:22
EU Military ID Card? Well, there is the convincing NATO Travel Order.

Post 9/11 I entered the US on an Antipodean Passport (having been in transit through South America), with a hand-written NATO Travel Order, in the US-only queue. Not a flicker of the eyeball or, indeed, any itching of the trigger finger as the USINS chap stamped my passport, which was full of squiggly-writing visas and entry/exit stamps.

But try to get on a non-RAF establishment with a RAF F1250...

CC

vecvechookattack
26th Apr 2005, 18:30
Am I correct in assuming that the "F1250" is an ID card? An RAF ID Card? Does that mean the all the AF's will be getting a new ID Card?....Bugger.

BootFlap
27th Apr 2005, 11:43
I assume this new MOD F90 will have a magnetic strip or chip in it, so I can move all my details from one Stn to another and check in at the Guardroom with a single 'swipe'. It will have my current vaccinations and other details on it, so I can just pitch up wherever I need to be and hand it over to the duty adminer for 'in-processing', whether he/she/it is Pongo/Fine upstanding RAF type/WAFU?

Now that would be handy, and I for one would not be particularly bothered if my rank was not shown, I would let my natural leadership and military bearing shine through!

In the great scheme of things, if it makes it easier to do our job, then great. If it change for changes sake and cost money that could be better spent elsewhere, then it is not great.

tablet_eraser
27th Apr 2005, 12:03
Will the new ID cards say "ROYAL AIR FORCE" at the top, or "BRITISH FORCES"? I don't for one moment suppose any reference to HM or "royal" will be there if the individual Service names are dropped. Of course, should the latter be true it seems like one more step down the road towards a British National Defence Force.

Maybe someone in the know could comment?

Divergent Phugoid!
27th Apr 2005, 22:16
I wonder if this thread is 27 days late in being posted??:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

buoy15
28th Apr 2005, 01:19
On Det in Sigonella, we arrive at NAS 2 Main gate early morning in a hire car; the Capt held up a piece of toast covered in marmalade
The gate guard (Itallian), let us through to the TSC.

Logistics Loader
28th Apr 2005, 04:54
I got onto Aviano AB with a library card....
good security drills from our american cousins

PerArdua
28th Apr 2005, 07:54
Where has this information been published? Tried JSP and DCIs but cannot find any mention. If it is aligned to JPA then we shouldn't all rush to get one!!! there will be plenty of time!!

As long as the new one can get ice of a windscreen then it will do fine as F1250 don't work here at all!!!

PA

MrBernoulli
28th Apr 2005, 08:31
I got into a large stn somewhere in Oxon by using a National Insurance card!. Pulled what I thought was my 1250 from the wallet, waved it and the car pass to the civvy security on the gate, and they waved me through. It was only when I was placing it back in the wallet that I realised my mistake.

Not as much fun as buoy15's story though.

Zoom
28th Apr 2005, 11:13
ZH875
Squaddies and erks won't require them either as they can be easily identified by their shaven heads, tattoos, spitting and bad language. Very similar to football hooligans.

Nil nos tremefacit
28th Apr 2005, 12:30
OC Rock at north German base I was based on drove all the way to Swiss border on the way to meeting in Italy to find that NATO travel order only works in NATO and he hadn't got his passport! How we laughed.:D

BEagle
28th Apr 2005, 14:18
As did we laugh when Lord Percy of the Navbags had to divert to Montevideo. Sadly they were not allowed off base because, despite having such very useful items as socket sets, coloured pens and half a dozen pairs of flying gloves in his many navbags, he didn't have his passport with him. Offers of NATO travel order and F1250 to the Urugyans were met with polite refusal.....

Sarahs
29th Apr 2005, 12:08
Im due to get the new one next week.

Will let you know what it looks like then.

Sir Loin
29th Apr 2005, 15:14
Managed to get onto Boscombe Down once with a piece of toast!

100% Truth.

Mind you, had been there a while, and did know the Plods:ok:

SpotterFC
30th Apr 2005, 00:50
According to SROs this also means the demise of the dependent's ID Card - so my wife will now have to go to the guardroom and ask for a pass TO GET TO HER OWN BL**DY HOUSE once her current pass gets too tatty/washed/broken.

Top planning by the admin ar5eh01es.

again.

engineer(retard)
30th Apr 2005, 11:12
"Managed to get onto Boscombe Down once with a piece of toast!"

Another UK black stealth project penetrating the enemy lines disguised as breakfast.
:ok:

Door Slider
30th Apr 2005, 12:46
Zoom

Well said and how true of many a suaddie, fortunately not all though.

Climebear
1st May 2005, 18:38
SpotterFC

Top planning by the admin ar5eh01es.

Nice bit of blame spreading there. Nicely avoiding that ID cards are the domain of the wonderful RAF Police whose officers are in the Ops Sp Branch (adminers just get the job of processing the paperwork) - given your name, this will be the same Branch as yours!

DSAT Man
2nd May 2005, 08:22
I recently had the misfortune to have to attend a meeting in Main Building. As all meetings usually start around around 1030, to allow people to get there from Wherevershire, I found myself joining a queue of 6 people at about 0945 to get into the damned place. After waiting around 15 minutes to access one of 2 windows, I showed my F1250 and had myself photographed for another pass. This then had to be made up and put into a clear plastic envelope with a nice necklace in it (a bit like the one I already had!). I then had to wait for my Sponsor to come down for me even though I knew where I was going.

Fifteen minutes later, my Sponsor showed up by which time more people had joined a quickly growing queue which snaked around the entrance hall. I counted 35 souls! I calculated that it would take nearly 90 minutes for the 35th person to reach the window.

Why doesn't your F1250 suffice and why isn't there a better way of processing visitors to the head shed?

The Helpful Stacker
2nd May 2005, 13:47
I received a new F1250 the other day (I'm off to 18-30 Basrah soon and the old one was looking a bit tatty). According to the expiry date it was issued on the 13 April which by my calculations means they are still issuing F1250's even though they were supposed to be defunct after 1st April.

Scud-U-Like
2nd May 2005, 14:14
SpotterFC

I don't know the reasons for the withdrawal of the dependant's ID card, but low uptake by dependants may well be one of them.

May I suggest that the minor inconvenience to Mrs SpotterFC of getting a new stn pass every few years, is more than offset by the benefits of "her own bl**dy house" being situated in a virtually crime-free gated community.

buoy15
2nd May 2005, 17:18
DSAT

You were lucky !

Had you gone to the other window, you would have done a blood, urine and DNA test, plus a check on your security clearance, ethnicity, and extras like, currency on CCS, IDT, EO, Diversity management, H&S, dress code, suitability to attend the meeting and which way your going to vote on Thursday!!

Slipped through the net: Well Done !!

Safeware
2nd May 2005, 17:28
DSAT Man,

Maybe they should take a leaf out of Abbey Wood's book - much more sensible system.

sw

airborne_artist
2nd May 2005, 17:44
Must have been about '85 - biggish ex. in UK to test, amongst other things, guarding of key points.

Biggin Hill was one such key point.

I was then a member of the TA version of the balaclava-wearing moustached organisation, and we had been given BH as a location to test. Rules did not allow any offensive action.

One of our number was 35, but looked much older. A general's uniform (from WW2, complete with WW1 medal ribbons) was procurred, and a car-dealer member produced a shiny black Granada from his lot, and it was adorned with a 2* plate borrowed from a contact.

General is driven up to gate at BH, and out hops his "ADC" (ex RGJ Captain, uniform still fitted) who explains that the General was just passing and wanted to look in on how things are going. Much bowing and scraping, General and ADC ask to go for a leak - ADC opens briefcase and leaves pseudo PE4 in wastebin.

More bowing and scraping and off they go.

OC guardforce most upset to be told by umpire his unit was now toast.

Another time I'll tell you about the time we did a W London RAF base beginning with N ...

exleckie
5th May 2005, 18:06
So what is going to happen to the dependants ID card?

Will it revert back to the confusing and loose system of issuing local and easily forged pass? It seems ironic that the years spent trying to get a standardised dependants ID card which was transferrable between units is now a wasted efficiency.

Or, will dependants now get a tri service ID card????????????????????????????

L1A2 discharged
5th May 2005, 19:20
exleckie et al, don't know the answers to the questions posed. Waiting for info on a reason for doing it, suppose its a cost saver though.

exleckie
5th May 2005, 19:50
L1A2.

Isn't everything these days though?

When will they learn?

Previous threads acknowledged.

SpotterFC
5th May 2005, 21:45
Climebear

Cops in Admin(Sy). QED
ar5eh01es maybe strong - naiive idiots better (thinking they would save money seamlessly).

ExLeckie

If a triservice card is inbound then fair enough, but SROs said that new system (which is bi/tri-service) cannot cope with such passes (presumably because spouses have no service number - database unique key.)

Scud-u-like

Very grateful for crime-free environment. However chances of new passes lasting a year - NIL. Don't think the temp pass sytem will do that. Annual renewal would be fine, but quarterly? Bit excessive. I take it you live off-base/are single?

Pontius Navigator
8th May 2005, 15:26
Wife in US pass and permit office in Izmir. Spam "How did you get here?"

Flew in Lufthanza yesterday.

Spam "HDYGH?"

NATO Bus from the airport.

HDYGH?

Puzzled - walked round the corner from the Hilton.

HDYGH?

Getting more confused - came through the door, walked up the stairs, turned left, went through the door and here I am.

HDYGH?

Eventually rephrased - "how did you get passed the guard on the door?"

Penny dropped, Oh, I just smiled at him, it was the same guard as was on last night when we came in to the restaurant.

Doh!

Purr Harder
19th May 2005, 08:08
They can have my 1250 when they prise it from my cold dead hand.

F90 PHAH, a step to far for Jointery me thinks

Zoom
19th May 2005, 09:08
The old Fablon-ed F1250s were easy to forge. A pilot friend was playing 'intruder' during a Taceval at a front-line fighter base. He made a fake F1250 using a piece of blue card, some mumbo-jumbo wording in Letraset and a photo of a pig. He toured the base for an hour or 2 using his '1250' to get into all the usual places and was asked for and showed his ID card on many occasions. Finally one of the smarter guards twigged and arrested him. His got an absolute roasting from the stn sdr for 'not taking the Taceval seriously'! He rightly maintained that he had shown up a fundemental weakness in the base's security arrangements.

insty66
19th May 2005, 09:38
I collected my new F1250 yesterday.
I applied for it after April 1st.
The layout has changed but is still a 1250, says so on the back.
So that's that then. No MOD90 for me

Worringly it has an expiry date, before my service is (due to be) over. Should I be told something?:uhoh:

Climebear
19th May 2005, 14:15
SpotterFC

Cops in Admin(Sy). QED

Wrong - they are no longer in the Admin Branch - they are now Ops Sp - same branch as the FCs - Ops Sp (Prov/Sy).

Do keep up

SpotterFC
19th May 2005, 20:50
Excellent - another batch of Ops Spt (Any) postings for us to quietly take over. Our master plan is beginning to work!

Don't tell anyone though.

If we get down to it, no-one below SO1 was going to take a decision like this, so I guess it's actually the GD branch we need to blame - same one as [insert job here] are in?

Talking Radalt
20th May 2005, 06:30
He made a fake F1250 using a piece of blue card, some mumbo-jumbo wording in Letraset and a photo of a pig

Ermm, isn't that what Binnsworth have been doing for years? :)

BEagle
20th May 2005, 07:15
The old-style F1250s could lend themselves to a bit of fun....

When I was at Wattisham, one evening we found that 'Wee Stevie' had gone flying and had left his F1250 in his SD cap. So, a few minutes with a black chinagraph added a different hairstyle, horns and spectacles etc.... Come the next day, as Wee Stevie showed his pass at the barrier, the guard pi**ed himself with laughter. WS nearly had a sense of humour failure until the guard showed him the F1250 - he hadn't spotted our art work until then. But he did see the funny side of it, being the good chap he was.

The other story I heard of fake ID photos was of a chap employed at AWRE who went around with a photo of Kruschev in his pass for weeks until someone noticed. Then he was fired!

teeteringhead
20th May 2005, 07:17
Was always amused by the deliberate errors in fake 1250s used by "intruders" in dear departed Cold War Taceval days. Things like Date of Birth 1066, Height 327 cm etc etc.

I always reckoned that Spetznaz would have been smart enough not to make mistakes like that.......:rolleyes:

MSF
20th May 2005, 07:56
airborne_artist

....ortholt, by any chance?

Were you one of the guys, who after gaining access to the base during 'Brave Deserter' in the late 80's(my shift buggered off for the weekend) was picked up and driven to ATC by OC Plod?

henry crun
20th May 2005, 08:11
Back in the days when pay parades were held for other ranks I was taking one for about 130 Boy Entrants at St Athan.

The clerk called out "987 Boy Entrant Bloggs", who marched out, threw up a snappy salute, and offered his open left hand which should have held his 1250.

I looked and it was a similar card but said
"This Is To Certify Boy Entrant Bloggs is a Member Of The Magicians Circle".

"What is that" said I falling into his trap, "Oh, sorry sir" where on he quickly closed and opened his hand and there, of course, was his 1250.