PDA

View Full Version : Virgin silver card

gliderman69
26th Apr 2005, 07:29
Hi All

After flying BA for years getting up to sliver card level and being upgraded more often than not.

However new comany flies Virgin, lost the silver status on BA :( managed to get to silver quite quickly no virgin but found out that this is not as much of a bonus as BA.

No entry to lounge etc..

Never upgraded unless miles are spent..

BA silver seemed to be a step up in treatment.

So what are everybodies opinion is Virgin Silver worth it? Any Virgin gold holders here do you get better treament at gold?

Flying to Toyko next month and taking the other half fingers crossed for the free upgrade since its her first long hual flight butting guessing its never going to happen!

Should I go back to flying BA is the silver card still as good I was silver about 3 years ago it really hurts when they take it away :D

Gliderman

Globaliser
26th Apr 2005, 09:03
As you've discovered, not all silver cards are the same: BA Silver is very valuable, even though they only call it Silver. In the oneworld alliance it's the same level (with the same sort of benefits) as Qantas Gold and American Airlines Platinum. Make of that what you will.

BA Silver is much harder to get and keep than VS Silver. In fact, my partner was recently just sent a VS Silver card in the post, out of the blue (as it were) - even though both she and I have long since failed to qualify for anything other than VS' most lowly tier.

So if you can get the BA Silver back, you should definitely try to do it.

26th Apr 2005, 17:40
I've never had a Virgin Silver card, but I would say the Virgin Gold is definitely worth having. The lounge at Heathrow is fantastic, and if you have a gold card, you can use it whatever class of ticket you are travelling on.
You can also use the upper class check in desk for any class of travel.

The_Banking_Scot
26th Apr 2005, 17:50
Hi,

I agree with 419. Virgin Gold is worth having for lounge access ( and Revivals when returning to LHR),priority boarding and Upper class check in ( and security fast track at LHR/LGW).

My first operational upgrade was whilst I was silver ( returning from SFO and was omved up from Premium Economy to Upper Class)- I normally travel Upper class now in any event so do not worry about op-ups.

Regards

TBS

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
27th Apr 2005, 12:21
I agree with 419 and TBS too. The difference with Virgin is that the step from Red to Silver is a small one, but the jump to Gold is huge.

Apart from the benefits already mentioned, when the Gold status is renewed annually you get a free return flight for a companion in the same class as you to any VS destination. Not bad !!

MichaelJP59
17th May 2005, 10:54
Only use I've found for my silver card is being able to check in via the Premium Economy while travelling economy.

A friend has a gold card as he regularly travels Upper Class - having said that he never really needs the lounge access privileges etc. as he's always travelling Upper Class anyway!