PDA

View Full Version : Emirates - Now the Presidents are resigning!

Dissapointed
26th Apr 2005, 04:55
I cannot believe that no one has posted this already. A few days before the profit announcement and one of the Presidents quits. Maybe he was getting fed up with inflation here as wel!

Aer Lingus said today that it had appointed Emirates executive Dermot Mannion as its new Chief Executive, replacing Willie Walsh, who left the company in January. Aged 47, he took up the position of Finance Director with Emirates in 1995 and was appointed to his current position of President (Group Support Services) with Emirates in 2003.

Backwater
26th Apr 2005, 07:28
Fair do's to him. It seems a good career step to jump to CEO of his home country's flag carrier.

guybrush
26th Apr 2005, 13:15
Actually, that doesn't necessarily mean that he was fed up. Maybe he found the prospect of being CEO very atttractive. You never know.

Cheers:ok:
guybrush

Vorsicht
26th Apr 2005, 14:18
Somebody will have to place MF in the near future. DM was probably in the running along with TC and GC. Not to mention any other ring in they could attract. It would appear that Mr Mannion either felt that he was no longer in the running, or perhaps he just yearned for a real guiness instead of the crap you get here.

My guess is that if you had spent 18 years helping build a company and you had a shot at the CEO job, then you would probably stick around.

I don't suggest for a minute that he is not up for the job, just that only one person can get it. It is quite normal in large companies for high level executives to be headhunted by other companies when they have been overlooked for promotion.

All I can say is god help us if TC moves up a level

VeniVidiVici
26th Apr 2005, 21:33
Isn't TC already the President of Emirates? What next level within EK can he rise to? Or did you mean an Emirates Group position?

Desert Nomad
30th Apr 2005, 05:00
DM stated that the only reason he would have left EK was for the position he was offered. I'm ready to believe him. To be given this oportunity was great for him, it's a hell of a lot more challenging than the job he has at EK. He's been one of the great Directors at EK, there in the background more than the others but doing great stuff. Some of the financing options he worked were brilliant. I think the group will miss his talents but good luck to him at Aer Lingus a difficult road ahead for him there

soompak
1st May 2005, 13:30
Good luck to DM, however, once I was told that people with Finance or Legal background do not fit properly in the CEO position !

Reasons:
Finance man will not easily agree to salary increase and allowances, will not spread airline route because of expenses at the initial operation, for the same reason do not enhance the service and will keep on cutting manpower as profit is reduced.

Legal man will manage his airline on the toes and strickly works to rules and regulation with no flexibility.

These reason may not be totally true but it has happen to some airline in the past.

Vorsicht
1st May 2005, 14:02
Soompak

That would explain the situation at EK then!