PDA

View Full Version : Simcheck?

arpansingla
25th Apr 2005, 21:38
Hello people just a question for you all...

I read a lot on these forums about when you go for an interview you have a 'simcheck'. What exactly does this involve, and is it based on a particular model of aircraft? I'm a bit confused! :confused:

redsnail
25th Apr 2005, 22:07
Sim check is an abbreviation for simulator check.
It can take many forms but the most common is based on an example of the fleet the company in question has.

eg easyJet usually do sim checks using the B737 etc.

Most sim checks are looking for a basic scan ability (instrument rating stuff), raw data and basic hand flying skills, teachability (can the person learn from their mistakes, self critique and thus improve) and their CRM (communication skills).

They'll consist of but not exclusively, a take off, follow a SID (stanard instrument departure), some handling (steep turns), a problem in flight, followed by an ILS or VOR/DME to land.

arpansingla
26th Apr 2005, 21:28
Thanks Redsnail

So if i were to finish a modular route of flight training and had done no jet simulator hours (as i presume all the flight training for CPL/IR are not in Jet sims moreover in senecas, pipers etc) and i went for a simcheck/interview with BA for a jet job what would happen?! Would this mean i would have to do a Jet Orientation Course or MCC?

Thanks
Arpan

redsnail
26th Apr 2005, 21:43
The sim check isn't set up to see if you can fly that type so it isn't necessary. The sim check is designed to see if your scan is up to speed and you can learn. An MCC appears to be handy for employment and is a necessity to get an ATPL. (However, an airline can and should provide that for you. Sadly, many don't.)

JOC isn't required. It's just another course dreamed up by training providers designed to separate you from your money. There's no licensing requirement at all.

A good IR and keeping your scan is far more beneficial than a JOC.