PDA

View Full Version : Are the CAA going to allow Class 2 holders to instruct

Do you know who I am
25th Apr 2005, 19:04
Hi there, I have heard that the CAA may consider allowing Class 2 PPL holders to do an instructors course and instruct (for money or not I am not sure) subject to hours and limited to certain lessons. I do not want to upset Instructors but I have not known many instructors to be around for long as jobs do come around and more recently 3 trial lessons had to be cancelled at my club today as they only had 1 instructor on. On a Class 2 if I had done the instructors course I could have done that. Plus with the way flying keeps on increasing in price I think flying clubs could go under, for example some costs of my club. Flying with Instructor £120 plus 35 landing fee £155. If fuel goes up anymore or should instructors be hard to get well who knows what will happen.

I do not wish to disrespect current instructors as I feel sorry for them that have loads of hours and still get no work when people that have 1 trial lesson go on to get jobs in the airline industry, more recently a girl in our patch had 2 lessons, applied to the airlines and got a place with Easyjet (wonder why?)

So to conclude should Class 2 be allowed to instruct. Take Care DYKWIA

Empty Cruise
25th Apr 2005, 20:34
Aaaaahhh - thinking - thinking - umh, no... :}

Introduction of FCL-1 was a big enough blow to FI professional standards. Now we have people come right out of flight school - and with all the wisdom of 265 hrs. of aviation go on to teach people how to fly. Now - did that myself, so not barking up any trees here. But I sure recall how hard that was - and was not happy with the time-frames laid down by the FTO for conduct of briefing, lesson & de-briefing.

A recent survey on navigation / GPS use / RT standards in the UK showed that lack of instructor knowledge / confidence or maybe recency showed that the current training standards did not equip the average new PPL holder well to handle the current airspace structure or equipment level in many modern aircraft. Only if they were members of a good flying club with high safety awareness & high recency standards did they - over a short timespan - aquire proficiency enough to cope comfortably with the task at hand. Therefore - I feel that we should not allow more people to instruct, but rather fewer. If this wiev gets me flamed - so be it :ouch:

Concentrate the work on fewer guys & gals, pay them a decent wage & raise the professional standards bar by several notches. I have no doubt that several class 2 holders are very professional & capable of passing that attitude on. But in a broader picture, in general and taking most cases into consideration - I feel that allowing more people into the trade will not affect the overall safety standards positively.

This is not to suggest that many class 2 holders would not make great FI's - and it is to suggest that flight safety standards are our first & last priority. So before any moves are made to allow more people to instruct, we need to examine it in the light of flight safety. If anyone can make a qualified argument that flight safety might improve by allowing class 2 holders to instruct - while at the same time proving beyond reasonable doubt that - at the least - flight safety will not be negatively affected - then I stand to be corrected. :cool:

Until such time - I suggest we let flight standards have the benefit of the doubt. We do not need more quantity - we need quality. Many class 2 holders would be able to maintain or raise the standards - and I would love to see them work improving instruction given all over EUR - but I for one would rather err on the side of caution.

Brgds fm
Empty

Brooklands
26th Apr 2005, 12:54
I think think that there may be a bit of a misunderstanding here. I suspect that DYKWIA was referring to holders of a class 2 MEDICAL. UK regs require a class 1 medical for a CPL, which you'd need if you wanted to get paid as an FI.

Brooklands

shortstripper
26th Apr 2005, 16:25
There was a time that class three medical PPL holders could instruct for renumeration (if they held an instructors rating). Many of todays slightly older PPL's were taught by them safely and well. Their level of knowledge was usually far higher than the low houred CPL FI's of today ... and they had a decent command of English too :}

SS

DFC
26th Apr 2005, 20:15
Are the CAA going to allow Class 2 holders to instruct?

They already do.

Are the CAA going to allow PPLs to be paid for JAA instruction?

No

Are the CAA going to allow people to hold CPLs with Class 2 medicals?

No

Every few months we have this question from a person who "just wants to instruct" and would be a very good instructor........but won't do it unless they get paid.

If one wants to be a PPL instructor - get your club to pay the cost of your course (sponsorship) and in return train their members for free.

Regards,

DFC