PDA

View Full Version : Cathay, union settle long-running pilot sacking dispute

r304ndy
25th Apr 2005, 14:45
Cathay Pacific Airways has settled a nearly four-year-old dispute with its pilots’ union over the sacking of dozens of cockpit crew during an industrial dispute.

A spokeswoman for the Oneworld alliance carrier confirms from Hong Kong that the settlement offer was accepted by members of the Hong Kong Aircrew Officers Association (HKAOA) at a recent extraordinary general meeting.

A union representative is not immediately available for comment but the Cathay spokeswoman says the deal provides for some of the sacked pilots to re-apply for more junior jobs on the airline’s freighter fleet or accept a cash settlement.

“The union has accepted our offer,” says the spokeswoman. “The pilots have the opportunity to reapply to join as new pilots. Cathay is also giving a lump sum to the union and it is up to the union how they want to distribute it.”

As part of the settlement the HKAOA has agreed to stop providing financial support for lawsuits against the airline by the sacked pilots. The out-of-court settlement proposal was originally voted on earlier this year and narrowly rejected by the union’s membership.

Cathay has been at odds with its pilots’ union for years over pay and rostering issues and in July 2001 HKAOA members launched labour action that badly disrupted flight operations.

The airline sacked 52 pilots during the dispute – three in a first round followed by another 49 soon after – although it later reinstated one with a demotion. Union members then began providing financial support to the sacked pilots through higher union dues and the HKAOA began supporting legal action for alleged unfair dismissal.

Source: Air Transport Intelligence news

kenfoggo
28th Apr 2005, 10:31
Most men spend a life time trying to show they cannot be bought. The A.O.A proves just how easy it can be.

ironbutt57
30th Apr 2005, 07:42
After harrassing potential new hires with their "recruitment ban", and the rest, now they sell out? Sounds like ALPO, the dog food union and their crap with Continental "permanent replacements", then forgive and forget when it's convenient....sends a message doesn't it? :ugh: :yuk:

BusyB
30th Apr 2005, 10:35
Ironbutt,
You don't like people making comments about the Gulfair 340 incident if they don't know what they're talking about but you see fit to comment on this!

What else are you an expert on?

ironbutt57
30th Apr 2005, 12:15
I don't air my employer's alleged dirty laundry (that's a private matter at this point), on the internet.... as a victim of the 1983 Continental strike...yes, I followed the union line and didn't cross the "line"..so, yes I am intimately familiar with union solidarity, and the consequences thereof, but the CX recruitment ban is very different, and public, as they asked potential employees to forego a career opportunity in the name of union solidarity, as it should be, and many many did just that....good on them!!!!

HOWEVER, now it appears that in the name of expediency, the pilots who refused to accept/pursue employment at CX on a principle, and the 49'ers have been "sold out" as myself, and many others were, when ALPA forgave the scabs in 1994 ...so care to elaborate??? I walked the walk..did you? Don't compare apples to oranges my colleague "busy bee" my refusal to comment on GF's "misadventure", and my OPINION on the 49'er issue (however misguided you think it is) are very different topics..agreed?

Anything short of re-instatement of the 49'ers, and recruitment of those who passed up employment because of the ban, is in my OPINION, a SELLOUT ok?

Wizofoz
30th Apr 2005, 14:12
The AOA also pledged to "support the application " of pilots who turned down a job with Cathay during the ban. After realising the ban was futile and lifting it, what did this pledge entail? NADA!!

I'm sure if the AOA had added a clause to this agreement that any such pilots be re-considered along with the 49ers, the company would have agreed. But did they?

It was a case of "Help us in our struggle, 'cause we don't have the b@lls to do it ourselves, after which time we SWEAR we'll look after ourselves and do nothing for you"!!!

ironbutt57
30th Apr 2005, 15:15
Thank you...where's "Old china Driver" when we need him....so the moral of the story is...look after yourselves...because nobody else will.......the proof is in the pudding...ALPA, and now IFALPA and their recruitment ban...... I lost twice twice...CO 1983 as a "probationary second officer" no strike or voting priviledges, and again at Eastern...1988...same position....bad luck I suppose...no not entirely..got a widebody command now and very happy...so life is what u make it....and UNIONS???? good thing...just make them put their money where their mouth is....

Warhawk
3rd May 2005, 08:37
Maybe we should temper our condemnation of the AOA in this matter (And no I'm not a member having left HK many years ago)? The AOA is operating in Asia (ie no real "democracy", few employee rights and employment philosophies not much better than Victorian sweatshops), and in my view, against one of the most vicious and insincere airlines in the business.

Comparing the AOA's situation with the USA, Europe or Australasia is apples & oranges. You do not have anything like the legal rights or community support one finds there. Do not expect CX to respect your own expectations of fair play or honesty, or in my experience, even abide by their own contract. (ie Aircrew condx of service et al).

The AOA was probably doing its best without putting their own heads on the block. Getting into the CX's bad book is often easily and undeservedly done and hard to reverse. They have proven their vindictiveness and inhumanity in the past and anyone who ignores this is probably asking for it! (IMHO of course).

The AOA has probably just faced facts and done its best - pity the AFAP didn't do the same in 1989. A shining example of what pig headed uinion leaders can do to their members when choosing to stick ones head in the sand and "fight to the last".

Whilst the plight of the 49'ers sux big time, they at least have a way to eventually get back to something like their past lives. They have my pity but I bet many of them now feel some relief as well!

:bored: