PDA

View Full Version : Metal cutlery allowed on board again

Dylsexlic
25th Apr 2005, 08:57
the Department for Transport advises that airlines operating out of the UK from 25 April can again use metal cutlery for cabin services and that airport security personnel will have much more flexibility in allowing sharp items onto aircraft.

Nail files should be OK as will be knitting needles, tweezers and scissors with blade lengths of up to 3cm. :ok:

TheOddOne
25th Apr 2005, 09:37
Oh good. That means we can eat our Saturday night curry in the Ops building with proper implements again instead of having to use our fingers! (The rules applied just the same to those of us who live & work airside as well as the pax.)

I believe the 'official' reason is that everyone has strengthened cockpit doors now but there's a rumour that everyone's fed up with the fact that the American airlines hadn't followed the guidelines. This gave them an unfair competitive advantage compared with those that had taken all their nice cutlery away.
'course won't make any difference to me 'cos the seats I can afford still dole out plastic knives and forks...

Cheers,
TheOddOne

malagajohn
25th Apr 2005, 10:11
Flew back to and from the USA last week with Iberia and pleased to report metal cutlery is available at the back of the bus

Flip Flop Flyer
25th Apr 2005, 12:06
Flew CPH-WAW yday on a Q400 :yuk: with SAS; metal cutlery back in C-class :ok:

Pointer
25th Apr 2005, 12:20
:ok:

Ohh a children’s hand is easily filled

:)

Pointer :E

classjazz
25th Apr 2005, 15:17
Er...how many knitting needles fit in under the "3cm"category - just wondered??

WHBM
25th Apr 2005, 15:30
Er...how many knitting needles fit the "under 3cm" category
Clearly a business opportunity for an inventor of telescopic knitting needles ..... :)

Pointer
25th Apr 2005, 15:50
Now now... that would constitute a "conceald weapon" :suspect:

hasta lueGO
25th Apr 2005, 17:16
The 3cm rule applies to pointed scissors. Knitting needles of any length are allowed. Cutlery is still not allowed in passenger hand baggage; although yes, airlines are allowed to re-introduce it onboard.

Ropey Pilot
25th Apr 2005, 17:58
Because of course while a pair of scissors would make a handy stabbing weapon a knitting needle could not penetrate anything! (I noticed they never banned pens - have they not seen John Cusack in "Grosse Pointe Blank")

The rules never seemed to make any sense in the first place - I fail to see how a pair of nail clippers could cause any damage at all!

slim_slag
26th Apr 2005, 08:12
Suspect decision to give metal cutlery to the cattle in the back will be based on economics.

So now the Guv'mint accepts the cockpit door is unbreachable by pax, can we get away from the stupid notion that pilots need to defend their workplace with guns?

fireloop
26th Apr 2005, 10:08
Never mind the fact that those plastic knives were as sharp as a razor. Metal knives never posed a real threat.

Ah yes, "Grosse Pointe Blank"... one of my all time favourite movies! Good to see a real connesseur of classic movies here.

View From The Ground
29th Apr 2005, 23:40
The rule was always crazy whilst they still allowed...suprise suprise...glass duty free bottles.....I personally would rather have a blunt cutlery knife held to my throat than a jagged piece of glass...This was just one of many examples of security regulation for appearance sake

Dylsexlic
30th Apr 2005, 09:16
My favourite story about security was at a large West London airfield. After a previous scare, Passenger Screening security was enhanced and on the day of a ministerial visit, all the departure level screening positions were open and there were no queues. This was excellent.

The party then went to inspect the arrivals process and promptly, 4 departure positions were closed and the staff were dispatched to Arrivals. Queues quickly built up again whilst Arrivals was smooth and well oiled.

Security at any level is just for show.

strake
4th May 2005, 07:45
Hmmpfh....came back from Miami with Virgin last Friday and still plastic cutlery.

By the way, does anyone know how often the UC menus change on Virgin. On the East Cost and Tokyo routes, they seem to have stayed the same since December 04.... the leek sausages are losing their appeal...:ugh:

PilotsPal
4th May 2005, 16:48
Took my tapestry with me last weekend from LHR to GLA. I didn't take my favourite needlework scissors just in case but there was no objection to a tapestry needle.

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
5th May 2005, 08:31
Strake,

It appears to be across the board. UC menu on the LHR-LOS-LHR route hasn't changed since before Xmas either, i.e. the two variants they use are the same, if you catch my drift.

Cheers,

NEO.

strake
5th May 2005, 08:45
NEO.

I know exactly what you mean.

I also now understand why the CC meticulously in collect the menus after every flight:D

However, it would be nice to have a change sometime soon....

fledgling
5th May 2005, 09:09
I always thought it strange when we flew back from Bali with Garuda (Sept 2002) and were upgraded to Business, that we were given metal knives & Forks.

This was in a 747 where the easiest access was from upstairs (Business) and not Economy.

To me it would make more sense to have banned metal cutlery in business and have allowed it in economy. But then again, terrorists don't travel business class do they?