PDA

View Full Version : Subsidised Middle East Airlines

Desertia
21st Apr 2005, 15:16
One thing I do know is that Emirates, Qatar and Al Etihad are heavily subsidised, whereas GF is lightly supported in comparison.

I know business is business, but if AUH and Oman pull out, GF can happily roll on when Bahrain is coining it at $50 a barrel. But what happens when that runs out?

Don't get me wrong, I've got many mates in GF, but there are some right tossers there as well, and we know who they are ;)

As an aside, the "saboteur" purser wouldn't have been an issue if they hadn't pared cabin crew to the bone. Talking to the crew this week, they are sick and fed up of hearing complaints from the passengers about slow service. But what can they do?

Must do a lot for employee morale. Not to mention customer relations.

Cheers,
Desertia

Ray Darr
22nd Apr 2005, 04:48
Sorry to say that your information is not correct. Emirates is not subsidised at all and not a single dirham is given to them by Dubai Government.

soompack....just who is the big-boss @ 'rats, and who is highly placed in the DXB gov't that overSEEs said airline? There may not be official duhrams changing columns (RiiiiiiGHT) but wouldn't you (and most others) agree this is a licence to print money, in another form?

For everyone else...as for GF 151, wait for the report before jumping all over ANYone involved. No coverups like the rumblings here talk about...from what I hear it is openly talked about @ GF.

Cheers,
R.D.

boiler
23rd Apr 2005, 11:54
Qatar and Etihad are not only fully subsidised but they do get their fuel uplift and catering completely free !

You can't be serious? Etihad not suported by the Government? How is it possible for an airline barely 6 months old with only 9 total destinations be able to order planes worth over $8 billion including 2 A380's? How can an airline offer BEY-CMB for $100 and expect to make money? I'ff bet u anything u can't get an ID90 for that price. The Etihad CEO is also the CEO of Gamco, who is also the manager of AUH airport, who is also the head of the CAA in AUH. Doesn't that sound fishy to you? QR are also supported by their government no end. How can you lose over $450 million in one year and not go under unless u are supported? Even if it were just free gas, any idea how much savings that is?

soompak
23rd Apr 2005, 17:02
OK, let us see if Qatar and Etihad announce their annual result as Emirates does.

See airline financial news on 27th April when Emirates will display the results.

HowlingWind
23rd Apr 2005, 23:40
Etihad are not only fully subsidised... Etihad not suported by the Government? With all due respect, Mr. Boilermaker, one believes you are simply reinforcing the point made by Mr. Soompak... :bored:

boiler
24th Apr 2005, 05:36
I am not trying to reinforcing the point made by Mr. Soompak or anyone else. I am just stating a few facts that when taken together, could lead you to a proper conclusion.

Globaliser
24th Apr 2005, 11:09
boilermaker: I am not trying to reinforcing the point made by Mr. Soompak or anyone else. I am just stating a few facts that when taken together, could lead you to a proper conclusion.When you said this in response to soompak:-You can't be serious? Etihad not suported by the Government?one might have been forgiven for thinking that you disagree with soompak's statement, which you quoted, that:-Qatar and Etihad are not only fully subsidised but they do get their fuel uplift and catering completely free !What HowlingWind is trying to point out to you is that you are in full agreement with soompak on this point, but you may have overlooked the word "only" in soompak's sentence.