PDA

View Full Version : Old Grumps allowed Assault Rifles

tony draper
23rd Apr 2005, 17:38
Thats It !! the BNP def get my vote,their Manifesto promises us old chaps who have done National Service are to be allowed to keep a AK47 or M16 at home, hmmm, think one shall hang on to one's Martini Henry,finally a political Party with a good idea.
:rolleyes:

23rd Apr 2005, 17:44
But, I bet if you read their manifesto very closely, It will be a criminal offence to keep any bullets, unless you apply for a bullet licence, which will "only" cost 250 per year.

Isn't a Martini Henry one of them really old things, that don't use bullets, but instead, you have to stick powder and balls down the barrel?

tony draper
23rd Apr 2005, 17:47
Yer don't get to my age without having a stash of ammo about the place 419.
Sticking balls and gunpowder down the barrel of a Henry is prolly exactly what you youngsters would do.

HowlingWind
23rd Apr 2005, 17:53
One imagines Herr Draper to have an entire cache of weaponry, regardless of what some silly law might or might not allow. This measure just provides a bit of leeway not previously available.

One would not venture towards Draper Towers without an invitation, and only then with much trepidation...

Capn Notarious
23rd Apr 2005, 18:50
And he has a highly trained small white hound, ideal for ankles or if you have wide trouser legs!!!!!!!!

Gouabafla
23rd Apr 2005, 19:03
Drapes, as far as I can work out, you wouldn't be allowed to keep your AK.

The idea is that young'uns would do national service and then get to take their guns home with them when they were finished. Just what we need, somebody to train and arm the yobs!

noisy
23rd Apr 2005, 19:25
Just what we need, somebody to train and arm the yobs!

Come on now, it's only what happened in the 50's

Caslance
23rd Apr 2005, 20:41
Thats It !! the BNP def get my vote I say!!!! I'd have thought they were a bit too left-wing for your tastes, Mr D. :E

tinpis
24th Apr 2005, 02:17
Me old grandad had a Martini Henry in his cupboard he brought home with him from the Boer War.
Single shot lever load (martini) .303 centre fire and would have been pretty bloody deadly accurate in the right hands judging by the length of the barrel.
A thieving cousin beat me to it.
Be worth a few bob nowdays.

Solid Rust Twotter
24th Apr 2005, 07:22
Prefer the .577/450.

Immense respect for those unfortunates shot with same and surviving, only to have to travel great distances on horseback to recieve treatment.

'Tis rumoured there exists a Boer War cache of same in the hills behind one's house, still in the grease and accompanied by several thousand rounds of ammunition. One has been searching for it for years. Ammo not to be used, rather handled carefully, but the Martinis........

acbus1
24th Apr 2005, 08:18
...........can be shaken or stirred.

allan907
24th Apr 2005, 09:06
Stuffing your powder and balls down the end of a Martini would probably explain the distinct tailing off of the birthrate after the Boer War etc.

(and lots of old soldiers walking around with a certain degree of bandiness about the leg department):}

Bern Oulli
24th Apr 2005, 18:16
Yer can still get 'em, those Martini Henry .577/450 things. Gotta shell out between 550 and 800 notes though. One is sorely tempted - no FC required if you don't propose to shoot it.

tony draper
24th Apr 2005, 18:26
All my gang in sproghood had Martini Henrys, local church hall threw a load of em out for the bin man,musta been a drill hall at one time ,of course us sprogs all nabbed one, unfortunalty they were sawn across the breech,good for playing Japs and Americans round the back lanes though.

Solid Rust Twotter
24th Apr 2005, 22:11
Friend who owns an AMO is a collector of Boer War firearms and memorabilia. He owns a number of MH rifles, all with Transvaal govt and boer/German markings. Sobering to think they were used in anger. The British soldier who rode to a field hospital with one of those rounds in a hip or stomach was a far stronger man than I.

Saw a King's Mauser sold as well. Insane price was paid by an American collector and one's first thought was that a piece of history was lost to the country forever. On second thoughts, it's probably a good thing as the present govt has no interest in preserving history, as witnessed by the raids on the military museum and the confiscation of exhibits.:(

Who was it said "Those who will not learn from history are doomed to repeat it."?