PDA

View Full Version : Who is Tom DeLay?

MadsDad
23rd Apr 2005, 15:33
I regularly read the 'Doonesbury' cartoon strip and, of late, it has been mainly about some scandal about Tom DeLay. Who I had never heard of.

OK, Google gives the current story from which this bloke appears to be a fairly average politician of any ilk. i.e. Self regarding, Venal, Self Important, Overbearing, Obnoxious, Lying etc This is all fairly average for a politician so what is the background in this case?

Who is this guy and, more important, where is he coming from, that is causing all the fuss and bother?

Jerricho
23rd Apr 2005, 15:34
I'm Tom DeLay!!!

Sorry mate. If it weren't me, it would have been someone else........a few names come to mind ;)

Flypro
23rd Apr 2005, 15:39
Actually it's a typing error. Should be Time Delay........I'll tell you about it later!!:ok:

MadsDad
23rd Apr 2005, 15:46
Hi Sc.

Now back to your homework.

HowlingWind
23rd Apr 2005, 16:13
One realises one is pushing the JB boundaries a bit far by posting a serious reply, but to answer MD's query, the, umm, gentleman is distinguished from other "fairly average politicians" by the virtue of being the Majority Leader of the so-called House of Representatives in one of the former colonies. That gives him a licence to steal and ensures a thriving future of book deals and speaking engagements once he tires of his current endeavours stealing people blind and corrupting justice in favour of the "interest groups" that funded his campaign.

Come to think of it, he is a fairly average politician, albeit one with a fancy title...

DC Meatloaf
23rd Apr 2005, 17:08
Tom DeLay is the most powerful man in Congress. Not by title, though he is fairly high ranking, but in actual ability to get stuff done. Not a particularly nice guy, and one who may have made some questionable ethics judgments (though what member of Congress hasn't?). Nice juicy target for the Dems who are sick of getting outmaneuvered by the former exterminator.