PDA

View Full Version : Chief of the Airforce : "My Force is run down"

Gunship
23rd Apr 2005, 10:39
At least old Carlo admits it .. Real Orca .. the way I remember him ?

From the Daily Despatch ..

Media reports that underfunding of the air force had caused the service to run down were correct, SA Air Force chief Lieutenant- General Carlo Gagiano said yesterday.
In view of recent media reports and in line with SAAF Vision 2012, Gagiano confirmed that the continued and prolonged underfunding of operational systems had caused some aircraft systems, logistic support equipment, SAAF air-base infrastructure and operational support equipment to deteriorate.

The deterioration was such that an injection of capital was required to restore these ... to a state where they were fully operational again, he said.

Gagiano told reporters at the Roodewal bombing range that the rehabilitation of the runway and taxiways at Waterkloof air-base was urgent and would cost R126 million, which he did not have in his budget but which he hoped government would provide, considering the national importance and heavy use of the base.

Commenting on the state of the C130 Hercules fleet, he said only two of the nine aircraft would continue flying until this time next year.

Gagiano said he had three Boeing 707s to provide airlift capacity into Africa. Of these only two were usually available.

“These aircraft do not, however, make provision for outsize cargo. The (Airbus) A400M initiative is truly a lifeline for the SAAF and will, together with future decisions on the transport aircraft mix, rejuvenate the SAAF’s transport capacity.”

Turning to helicopters, he said a number of factors impacted negatively on the air force’s operational readiness.

The most important was the high number of ground crews resigning. The mainstay of the helicopter fleet, the Oryx, was due for an in-service upgrade.

The delay in phasing out the Alouette III due to problems with the Agusta A109 delivery, had also resulted in an increased need for maintenance and consequently decreased service ability.

In the combat line, the SAAF currently had 12 Impala aircraft available and were flying them to their full capacity and would be phased out in September. :E (a few more accidents before being scrapped ? Should have been scrapped in 1990 !) :E

The SAAF has 29 Cheetah aircraft and had recently decided to extend their service life to 2010 to ensure a smooth handover between Cheetah and Gripen. :E (what 4 - they are finished) :E

Gagiano referred to a recent accident in which a black trainee pilot was killed. Media reports at the time blamed affirmative action for the accident.

Referring to the fact that the pilot, Second Lieutenant Ramaithe, had failed some tests, he said many other pilots had failed similar tests before and were currently operational pilots in the air force and in the country’s other airlines. :ok:

“He unfortunately got lost on a low level navigation exercise between Bloemfontein and Mafikeng and was unable to regain his bearing. I have been lost as a Second Lieutenant between Pretoria and Polokwane in a Vampire, but was fortunate enough to find my way again,” he said, indicating anyone could get lost and have an accident. — Sapa

Herc130
23rd Apr 2005, 13:04
EECH, BOSS, can't find my way, DF she is not working, IFR (I follow roads) she's behond my capacity!!:confused:

I seet heer on my Martin Baker, eech, this handle between my legs are not so nice, OH-OH the fuel she is gone, no what, I pray to my fore father for answers, he does not answer, now I am Dead:{ ,eech, it is the fault of all these rascist instructors.:}

B Sousa
23rd Apr 2005, 13:25
Sadly starting to sound like ZimBOBwe..........

The Claw
23rd Apr 2005, 17:40
Bert, I think you mean Zimbuggered........

Reminds me of a story when RAF instructors had the same problems in Kenya during the '60's.

The pupil flew until he ran out of fuel and crashed his Chipmunk.

During the enquiry the student said, "Isch...but da gauge wasn't showing "F" for FINISHED !?"

The baffled inspectors then asked him what he thought the "E" stood for.

"Isch......"E" is for ENOUGH of course !"

I'll get my hat and coat...........

REAL ORCA
24th Apr 2005, 12:01
Gunzzz

Don't want Oom Carlo's job even for one day!! He forgot to mention that we used to read the roadsigns and the place names of the small stations when we got lost- maybe it will avoid the next accident.:ooh:

B Sousa
24th Apr 2005, 14:01
"He forgot to mention that we used to read the roadsigns and the place names of the small stations when we got lost- "

Sorry.as a Helicopter type, I thought that was very normal, guess you must be talking about fast movers doing the same thing.....wrong..

Gunship
26th Apr 2005, 10:26
From business day :

There have been delays in key programmes, including that of the Rooivalk
attack helicopter

WHEN an early 1940s South African Air Force Dakota was aeroplane taxied
along the runway preparing for a takeoff on Friday night from Makhado Air
Force Base in North West Province, one of its wings clipped a tree and was
damaged. :E

The dent in the wing tip was not serious and the aircraft could be repaired
in half a day, but the plane had to be inspected for structural damage.

On board the Dakota was a group of defence correspondents who had spent the
day at a firepower demonstration and a press conference about the air
force's long list of problems the .

The air force itself has taken more big blows rather than dents over the
past over the past month, but rather than due to accidents many of them may
stemming from a combination of poor planning and underfunding.

It is The new chief of the air force, a fit-looking former fighter pilot, Lt
Gen Carlo Gagiano, who is now saddled with these burdens.

He insists the problems are all short-term and the new air force will be in
place over the next five to ten 10 years with new Gripen fighters and the
latest generation of A400M military air transporters.

And, he says, more than the current 8% of pilots will be black.

What is unusual is Gagiano's candour on the range of problems which could be
an effective means of pressuring Parliament for higher-levels and
better-planned budgeting.

Gagiano He places much of the blame for the air force's current set of
problems on "continued and prolonged underfunding of operational systems",
which he says means that aircraft, air bases, and support equipment have
deteriorated.

Seven of SA's nine C130 workhorse military transporters used to supply
troops on peacekeeping missions have had to be grounded and it is unlikely
that they will fly until May next year.

There have been delays in key programmes, including that of the Rooivalk
attack helicopter.

That's The delays are due to staff departures at Denel, and means it the
craft will not be able to be used to give fire- power support to South
African troops in the Democratic Republic of Congo for a year.

"The C130 problem is a huge blow," admits Gagiano.

The US manufacturers of the C130, Lockheed Martin, recently issued a global
"stop-fly order" because of wing spar problems.

They aircraft are due to be inspected soon, but even if some are then given
the go-ahead to fly, they may not be able to leave the Waterkloof air force
base because work must urgently begin on a massive relaying overhaul of
runways there. at Waterkloof Air Force Base.

The runways at Waterkloof was were originally designed for fighter aircraft
and C130 transporters and not the jumbo jets and massive military
transporters which that have increasingly been increasingly operating from
the base in recent times.

Indicative of the lack of planning is that although the need for a runway
upgrade was known has been apparent since 2003, R126m for the work at
Waterkloof still needs to be allocated from the defence budget.

Apart from possibly preventing some C130s from flying, the work at
Waterkloof will disrupt VIP air traffic, including the president's plane,
which will have to be diverted to Johannesburg International Airport.

And in an extra burden on the air force will be providing a helicopter
shuttle service will have to be provided to Pretoria from Johannesburg
International for passengers on the president's jet.

The shortage of C130s means that the air force is having to stretch its
extending the use of its three Boeing 707s to supply South African troops on
peacekeeping missions. Another problems is that only two of the three
Boeings are available at any one time.

The high number of resignation from technical ground crews, responsible for
the servicing of aircraft, is also compounding problems.

To address this, Gagiano wants to find new ways to boost morale, but it is
taking place the staff shortage comes at the worst possible time as the
fleet of widely used Oryx helicopters is due for an upgrade after 15 years
of use.

And due to the delays in the introduction of the light, general-purpose
Agusta A109 helicopters, the life of the Alouette fleet, introduced in the
1960s, has had to be extended.

Later this year the air force will be coming up witha present a new vision
statement. That is likely to include a wish list for new unmanned aerial
vehicles, but also a commitment to better planning and a well-grounded and
consistent budget.

porra
26th Apr 2005, 12:25
I have it on good authority that the PUPE pulled up to 7000' and told ATC that he was lost and needed help...

"Friendly" Jo'burg ATC barked something about no radar contact till 9000', pupe decended again and you know the rest...

BAKELA
26th Apr 2005, 19:10
Either the Daily Garbage has got it wrong again...looks like it as there's nothing new but for the Dak's wing (not Crosseying my words here am I?) :E or the copy and paste did not work too well. Typical press crap! Got the jist of it though. SAAF in s:mad:t! BIG TIME!

Porra,pulled up to 7000' and told ATC that he was lost and needed help... Being at (or around) Lichtenburg that makes sense...get up a bit higher! Been there myself... at FL110, unknowingly at Lichtenburg en route FAUP-FALA...at 9 PM local with 8/8's CB's (for 40 miles), St.Elmo's fire dancing on the prop and the windshield, climb rate 1200ft/min with throttle closed and carb heat on in a single piston with no transponder, no VOR, no DME, no WX radar (obviously for the SAAF in the mid 80's) only ONE VHF and ONE ADF (which was useless) and very little fuel (about 35 mins). Flew the classic triangle and after 8 minutes were told by JHB Radar that they had me positive and gave me a steer for FALA!

"Friendly" Jo'burg ATC barked something about no radar contact till 9000' Maybe PUPE had attitude problem? Won't be surprised if he had! Dogs only bark if they are barked at or f:mad:ed around! From the rest of the posts on this forum I doubt whether the girls/guys on duty have a problem even though the bigshots at ATNS might have...

and you know the rest... Yep! Sad but we do. Not the last I s'pose we'll read something like this. :(

Dr Know
29th Apr 2005, 17:30
They did not teach Carlos how to save an Airforce when he did Staff Course at Saafcol!

Goodluck with that one.

Sounds like the Titanic to me!