PDA

View Full Version : WiFi Network problem with 2 computers

HughMartin
22nd Apr 2005, 21:00
I have a wireless network which successfully worked with a laptop wirelessly linking into a Belkin wireless modem/router which in turn was linked by cable to a PC.

I have since bought a 2nd PC which has integrated WiFi. Unless I switch off the new PC WiFi, I can't get the laptop to connect wirelessly. It is picking up the network but is not aquiring a network address.

Similarly, if the laptop is up and running, the new PC can't pick up a network address when it is switched on.

In summary, whichever WiFi device is switched on first seems to prohibit the second device connecting.

Has anyone any suggestions which would allow both WiFi's to connect at the same time?

Saab Dastard
23rd Apr 2005, 17:28
Initial thought - your wireless router is only set up with one address in its DHCP scope.

Second thought - both PCs are configured with the same fixed IP address.

Either situation would give rise to the problem.

Eliminate the obvious, then look for the esoteric!

SD

HughMartin
23rd Apr 2005, 20:10
Thanks very much Saab but neither of these are the guilty party.

Both computers are listed in the DHCP client list with different IP addresses.

If I power up the laptop and then the wireless PC, I can get both operating together. If however I have the PC up and running first, I can't then get the laptop to connect. It shows a good signal strength and recognises the network but cannot aquire an IP address.

The router is set to automatically assign a wireless channel. I assume routers are designed to cope with more than one wireless device at once. Can anyone advise if otherwise??

HM

PS. Why do you spell your first name with two a's. I would have thought it would only have one !

Saab Dastard
24th Apr 2005, 18:51
HM,

I'm getting confused now -

This statement: "If I power up the laptop and then the wireless PC, I can get both operating together. "

Seems to contradict your earler statment that:

"if the laptop is up and running, the new PC can't pick up a network address when it is switched on."

I would definitely look at how the router is configured to assign IP addresses, handle IP address reservations, MAC address recognition and security.

If they both can recognise the network then the issue is not with the wireless channel in use.

All devices on the same Wireless network will use the same wireless channel. Routers are able to cope with multiple clients, although contention for available bandwidth tends to become an issue far more quickly than with conventional wired Ethernet.

PS - 2 As as in the car (although I have given it to the wife and now drive an Audi, but Baudi Astard didn't have the same ring).