PDA

View Full Version : New Win XP user req help

roach
22nd Apr 2005, 19:09
As the subject says...help!
Am used to Win 98se and have just bought a new toy which is running XP and hve managed most of what I want but this is a problem....I have set up users for the family and am connected through an ADSL frog to the internet, if I change user (whether I log off or just change has the same result) I have to reconnect to the internet, is this right and if not how do I keep connection running?
Thanks in advance...oh yes, there will be more of these questions I am sure....tonight could be a long one!

The Voice
22nd Apr 2005, 21:36
Hi Roach,

I am running XP Pro, this is what I do.

Start > log off > switch user, but I don't log off the system at all it just simply switches straight over.

Coconutty
23rd Apr 2005, 09:38
Not sure if Windows XP classes your ADSL connection as a Dial Up connection, and even if it does I don't know if this will work when switching users, as I have never tried it in such a situation but it might be worth checking this :

Open Internet Explorer.
Click "Tools" / "Internet Options" / "Connections"
In the Dial Up and Virtual Private Network area click "Settings" then "Dial Up Settings" then "Advanced".
Take a look at the check box for "Disconnect when connection is no longer required"
This might be why your computer disconnects when the current user logs off - if you uncheck box the connection may then stay on until you manually close it.

Hope this helps.
:ok:

roach
23rd Apr 2005, 15:30
Sorted! Thank you very much.