PDA

View Full Version : B206 or R22???

andyhelo
22nd Apr 2005, 18:29
Im looking to complete my ATPL course by this time next year and need to know if doing the 35 hour flying course in a B206 would have great advantages over a R22. ie for a job, would it be an advantage over someone with a CPL completed in a R22?? Any response is appreciated!

Johe02
22nd Apr 2005, 18:49
Having the B206 on your licence would help you get a job with someone who needs a B206 pilot. .

Have you anyone in mind?

3top
22nd Apr 2005, 21:04
Hi,

how many hours do you have? How many will you have "by this time next year"? Do you have someone on hand who will give you a turbine helicopter with the 35 hour course? How nay turbine hours do you expect to have "by this time next year"?

If you are just about to start the Flying-Helicopters-Game and you have no "connection" to promote you straight to a 206-job, Iwould rathjer save some of that money for a R-44 checkout and some additional hours in the same one.

Your first job will probably be to be an instructor on R-22 and when you get past 200 hrs total, the occasional job in a R-44.

When you get to the 1000-hrs mark shop around for some prospective company that flies 206 and do the checkout with them!
I hear that nowadays you get hired with low time in a Jet-Ranger if you have some serious hours in the R-44!

Good luck either way!

3top
:cool:

Whirlygig
22nd Apr 2005, 23:37
Andy,

When you say ATPL, I presume that you are doing/have done the ATPL(H) ground exams but are doing the the CPL skills course.

The main difference between Jet Ranger and R 22 is 50% of the cost. There are a few helicopters in between! It largely depends on what you want to do after.

If your are doing JAA CPL(H), then you will need at least another 65 hours before you can start the instructor course.

My gut instinct is that, if you can afford to do the CPL course on a JR, then go for it as Jet Ranger hours will be more employable.

Cheers

Whirlygig

Please check out LASORS; this will give you the information YOU need for your licence. Whilst there are many guys here from overseas who give good advice, it may not be relevant to that licence which you wish to obtain!

TheFlyingSquirrel
23rd Apr 2005, 09:32
You're better off saving your money for your IR and building hours as cheaply as possible. You can get turbine time any time, once you've got your hours up. Don't let the operator give you biased advice to help them struggle through another year - i've been there with these people.

andyhelo
23rd Apr 2005, 11:50
I have my R44 rating and around 30 hours on it. It will be september when i start my ground exams, and so this time next year i will be starting the flying course. At the end of the course i should have around 200 hours total. I have someone in mind for a jetranger course, but if employers are just looking for a turbine time, would it be benificial to go to america for example and do a rating there? Anyone know what bond or scotia would be looking for in turbine time, or would it be a waste of time if i did the flying course in the R22?

Hedski
23rd Apr 2005, 12:00
North Sea or just about any offshore gig will need an IR more than it will need lots of turbine. Doesn't do any harm to have more turbine, but the IR is mandatory nowadays!

TheFlyingSquirrel
23rd Apr 2005, 15:14
Don't get caught in the American rating's trap - it does not work - they have a turbine conversion system - which will not be valid in the UKor JAA countries. You will still have to shell out for your rating here when you get back and then pay the CAA for getting it added to your license. Regarding the North Sea operators - call them and talk to them and get used to their names !

B Sousa
23rd Apr 2005, 17:30
Another perspective
Im not a Robbie fan and think 206 time is really great. However the reality of life is that if your a new guy and just getting your licensing from flying Robbies. The best bet is your going to have to work in Robbies until you have xxx hours and can find someone who will put you in a turbine. So until you can really use the turbine time, get by as cheap as you can.........
Good Luck

Droopystop
23rd Apr 2005, 17:49
Save your money and do it on the R22 and put it towards an IR or FI(R) course. Turbine rating is more or less useless unless you are on a promise and even then I would be sceptical. Also, the CPL flying course would be easier in an aircraft you are familiar with. You may well end having to do the type rating as well as the 35 hour course. There are plenty of people who have got jobs on the NS with no turbine time (I only had 8hrs on a 120).