PDA

View Full Version : why a pilot???

BOZZATO
22nd Apr 2005, 18:49
Hello there:ok:

A strange but interesting couple of questions to all those line pilots out there:

What made you all decide to become pilots?

and

How long did it take you?

Any feedback on the subject would be greatly appreciated

:ok:

Dibble&Grub
22nd Apr 2005, 19:33
A momentary madness that started me on a path became an obsession then a career. That was 38 years ago and I am just starting to get the hang of it; 32 types and 16000 hours later.

Flying is a journey - not a destination.

DG

GrkPilot
22nd Apr 2005, 19:41
I was born to be a pilot, dream for most of us...

Farrell
22nd Apr 2005, 21:33
Used to live beside the airport and spent many a long summer's day sitting off the threshold of the old runway 23 at Dublin.
Back in the days when Aer Lingus still had the Boeing 707......God, I loved the smell of kerosene; the noise and the power when those things used to take off!

A mixture of never wanting a desk job, and having a very cool and enthusiastic relative who used to give me bundles of Flight International magazines also fueled my interest.

I can also remember watching pilots walking through the terminal at Dublin, they used to have white-topped hats back then - kind of like the old Pan Am uniforms. There was a certain air to them (no pun intended!); a 'je ne sais quoi' - but I wanted to be like that.

It's taken me 30 years to finally get around to training - but I'm loving every minute of it!

Genghis the Engineer
22nd Apr 2005, 23:16
I was very firmly destined to be an Engineer - designing and making things was my childhood passion. I went for aeronautics because it was the nearest to astronautics.

But I started my training at 17, and a couple of years later realised (I was spending a summer working at Westlands) that all the really interesting Engineering jobs went to people who knew about flying as well.

So, I went off and started learning. Umpty ump years later, with 90 types in my logbook, I'm pretty convinced that what I decided when I was 19 or so was pretty much spot on - I have no desire to ever stop doing either Engineering or flying.

G

Bigmouth
23rd Apr 2005, 19:53
Because I was too lazy to work for a living.

brain fade
23rd Apr 2005, 20:38
BOZZATO

I suppose you've heard about the young child who was asked what he wanted to be when he grew up?

'A pilot!' says he.

No son, you can grow up or you can become a pilot- you can't do both!

Says it all really.:ok:

Shaggy Sheep Driver
23rd Apr 2005, 21:07
What else? Just what else is anything like so enjoyable as flying?

SSD

tinpis
23rd Apr 2005, 21:39
What else? Just what else is anything like so enjoyable as flying?

Er..shagging sheep?

classjazz
24th Apr 2005, 07:38
BOZZATO:

I recall a notice on a crew room board some years ago which seems to put it in perspective;

"The average pilot, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring.
The pity is that these feelings just don't involve anyone else"

I think this was referring to male pilots. Female pilots have their own peculiarities.

Solid Rust Twotter
24th Apr 2005, 07:46
Female pilots have their own peculiarities.

...Like larger nadgers and loads more aggression than the males, for a start.....

Incomiiiiinnnnnggggg!! :E

TwoDots
24th Apr 2005, 11:20
So it sounds like we all love the job ......

Why then do we MOAN about it so much ?

Ontariotech
24th Apr 2005, 12:35
Probably because it's easier than scremaing.

I am a groaner anyway.:ugh:

Wee Ali
24th Apr 2005, 16:38
Because it is more interesting, exciting & challenging than anything else in the world.

Because it was my first & will always be my greatest love.

Because I can.

Because I love the way it p155es off ignorant people who think because i'm a wee lassie I should be in some crap poorly paid menial job!

Because it's there!

Sleeve Wing
24th Apr 2005, 18:13
Ever watched a swallow, seagull, buzzard, kite - and felt jealous ?

Now we can aspire to enjoy that 3-dimensional freedom.

I've been seriously trying for over 40 years but I'm getting better !!

:ok:

Mark Smith
24th Apr 2005, 19:50
Ever since I first saw all the planes lined up one after another coming into Heathrow I decided that's what I want to do.

Smudger
25th Apr 2005, 22:09
That's all it needs, Mark... I was flying with a relatively new FO a couple of days ago, we were having breakfast on the flight deck of my 73 on the way in to Nice, over the Alps on a clear day, and he said, " This is the best breakfast I have ever had in my life". (He is 32). That is why we do what we do.

Hobgoblin
26th Apr 2005, 01:42
When I was about four or five years old the next door neighbour was always being picked up for work in a green and white Bell Jet Ranger. It would take of and swoop over my house so low I could stand in the rotorwash. When I close my eyes I can still smell the kerosene...

Hooked me for life.

atyourcervix73
26th Apr 2005, 10:40
I remember when I was 4.....a nice family friend took me and my old man for a ride in a little cessna.....to this day..Im hooked.

maxalt
26th Apr 2005, 11:40
Because it pays well. And I don't have to deal with the revolting public, especially since they put a bullet proof door between me and them.

Paterbrat
26th Apr 2005, 12:37
Put on a flying boat at the age of three from Naivasha to Port Bell lake Victoria, hooked. Just retired after 41 years of aviation, still hooked. It's a dreadfull addiction.

acbus1
26th Apr 2005, 19:05
Started in flying liking it. Subsequently ruined by a truly disgusting employer and insufficient youth to move on soon enough. Trouble is, disgusting employers are rife.

Reading this thread has been like reading a Richard Bach "story".

Must go an throw up now. :yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

Empty Cruise
26th Apr 2005, 19:22
Sorry to hear your story acbus1... :(

And yes - it's not like a Richard Bach novel out there...

...on the other hand, it's sufficiently like a R.B. novel that a scandihooligan kid with so little imagination that he could not imagine himself doing anything else & so poor hand-eye coordination that he was 19 before he learned to ride a bike :} got hooked and has been at it for 6 years & is just starting a job as 737 cdr, enjoying every minute of it.

Yes, the sh*tty employers are out there - but unless you allow yourself to be manoeuvred into a corner, they cannot take out the joy of flying :D

They can back-stab you, they can bad-mouth you, they can fire you & they can generally try to make a mess out of your life. But if you've kept your options open & never signed your life away - there is very little a bad employer can do to stop you enjoying your job. There are good rosters/slings, and there are bad ones - but you can always manoeuvre :ok:

Would not recommend it to anybody, and if I'd known then what I'd have to go through to get to where I am now, I'd never have done it. But being where I am now - wouldn't trade it for anything :D

Brgds
Empty

steve181
27th Apr 2005, 11:34
When i was a wee fella i use to cello-tape "LEGO" men to my kite, i'd look up at the kite in the sky and pretend I was the LEGO man.

I showed an interest in aviation from a very young age, even though i knew no one in the industry and we lived far away from the airport.

Like many people here I was definitely born to be a pilot!

kluge
27th Apr 2005, 16:26
Being taken as a very little kid to the RAF Finningley airshow (and every year thereafter), hiding under the car when the Vulcan flew over the crowd, pitched for a max power climb and shook the ground. I will never forget that.

According to mum - that's when the 'it got me' ! I think I was three !

oh - and trying to put wings on my 'pedal cart'

Hobgoblin
20th Aug 2005, 04:19
Does anyone else remember ruining umpteen of his/her mum's umbrellas parachuting off the house roof?

I think I must have fallen on my head a couple of times 'cause I'm still at it. ( flying, not base jumping with umbrellas!;) )

tinpis
20th Aug 2005, 05:35
I used to put my pet mouse in my free flight model planes.
They didnt like the control-line ones the G force I expect. http://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/mousecheese2.gif

PatTheDog
20th Aug 2005, 05:52
Sounds like someone is going for a cadetship..... Sounds very QANTAS.

Surely your not asking Jet Blast for answers!!!