PDA

View Full Version : Adding New Ratings to an FAA Restricted License

FORTL4
22nd Apr 2005, 16:37
Hiya,

As we know, one can apply for an FAA Restricted Private Pilot Certificate (based on a proper ICAO PPL) in order to fly in the US.

A few years ago, I've done the same using my UK/JAA SEP PPL. I've also trained for and obtained the FAA Instrument Rating, and got my FAA Certificate stamped with "IR: US TEST PASSED".

My question is: if I now obtain a UK/JAA MEP class rating, can I go back to the FSDO and add an MEP rating to my FAA Certificate? Would that mean I can fly ME/IR in the US? What if I have UK/JAA MEIR?

The reason is I'd like to build ME hours in the US but don't want to go through the hassle of another MEP test and the visa application. I know the FAA has a webpage discussing the foreign license, but I remember them only talking about initial applications and not subsequent ratings.

Thanks a lot!

Lasiorhinus
24th Apr 2005, 08:58
My yankee license says on the back that "all priveliges and limitations of the foreign license apply".

So if you are rated to fly whatever at home, then you can fly the same whatever in America.

It gets more complicated when you hold CPL or higher, for then I think you're only licensed in the private category no matter the level of your real license.