PDA

View Full Version : prague

McAero
22nd Apr 2005, 15:29
Ok ladies and gentlemen, I've just booked up for a trip to Prague in a few weeks time. Never been so let me hear all these wonderful stories that I'm sure you all have.

Where the best pubs are etc etc...........and even maybe some other things I might want to do whilst over there. Any accomodation recommendations also appreciated.

cheers.

Maude Charlee
23rd Apr 2005, 12:23
Lovely city to visit whatever your particular tastes may be.

Firstly, it is a very small city, with the majority of touristy sites located in a very small area around the Old Town Square. It is very scenic, easy to get around and the people are extremely friendly.

Loads of bars and pubs wherever you might be, but the cheap beer isn't as common now as it was thanks to the influx of stag/hen parties and prices aren't far off what you might pay back home unless you hunt around. Around the Old Town Square is outrageously expensive and a total rip off. Head down some of the side streets, especially to the south side of the square, and you'll find much better prices. If this is what you're after, then Prague won't disappoint.

Loads of interesting buildings to visit, but the Castle is maybe not what you might expect and the area around it, though attractive, is somewhat lacking in places to visit/things to do. Invest in a guide book if you are going to go sightseeing, as there is too much to cover in a long weekend.

Plenty of shops (though it does get a bit repetitive seeing endless glass shops, puppet stores and garnet jewellery), with the designer shops in the Jewish Quarter and the big department stores round Wenceslas Square, all within an easy walk from the Old Town Square.

Airport is a bit of a trek from the city centre, and the taxis will try to rip you off big time (15 plus - "good price for you"). Cheapest option is to get the bus (about 50p) to the Dejvicka metro station and then into the centre from there (about another 50p). Takes an hour, but worth it provided you don't have loads of luggage.

Loads of hotels. If you try the Check Tourist agency website (see link at end) you'll find a far better choice of hotels than on hotel search engines, and better prices too. We stayed in the Meteor Plaza on Hybernska (a Best Western hotel for about 70 a night) which was very pleasant and well located for all the sites - only a 10 minute walk from the Old Town Square. Great restaurant over the road called the Hybernia, which definitely served the best food we had in the city. Unfortunately Prague is not a gastronomic treat by and large.

If you're a culture vulture, then check out the Municipal Hall (Obecni Dum) to the east of the Old Town Square. Fabulous building, and a regular venue for classical concerts and opera. Go inside and check out the restaurants, and the American bar in the basement. Gives you an idea why Prague was once such a grand city.

A truly worthwhile city to visit and one I'm sure you will enjoy.link here (http://www.motylek.com/)

McAero
23rd Apr 2005, 13:27
Can't thank you enough. That was a lot of information and I'm sure I'll find it useful when I get out there.

Cheers again

Mc :ok:

Mac the Knife
23rd Apr 2005, 14:12
Watch your bag/pocket!

Mrs Mac just got back from there and had her wallet lifted.

Someone found it in the gutter (minus cash but still with credit cards etc.) and handed it in at the hotel before she could even get back there!

Lovely city, nice people.

BALIX
23rd Apr 2005, 20:47
It's got trams :ok:

Trams are a great and inexpensive way to get around but make sure you follow the correct procedures otherwise you will (if caught) be subject to on the spot fines from inspectors who I believe don't fall for the thick tourist excuse. There is an underground as well which uses the same ticketing system.

It is a few years since I was there so I can't quite remember the rules and regulations but make sure you know what to do before your first journey ;)

Maude Charlee
24th Apr 2005, 10:12
From what I can remember you buy your tickets from a machine before you travel and simply validate it in a little electronic box on the bus/tram or as you pass through the barriers on the metro.

Looking after your belongings is common sense advice in any city, especially one chock a block with tourists and money. Prague certainly doesn't give the impression of being a threatening or dangerous city.

pistulaza
24th Apr 2005, 10:27
Great girls, easy to find in a lot of Night Clubs, leave your wife at home.
Go in Prague with a wife is like go in Munich and take beer from Home...
Enjoy Your Staying and take care about your poket wallet.:mad:

Woof etc
25th Apr 2005, 02:36
Technical museum worth a visit.

Kbely Aviation museum.

If you stay out of the town centre the accomodation is a lot cheaper - the public transport is brilliant so its not a problem if you are out of the centre. Transport is laughably cheap and and the underground is much better than London Underground. 8 Krones ( about 17p) buys you an hour of public transport: Metro, trams and busses - just activate the card at one of the machines on first leg of journey. Short journeys cost 4 Kc.

Have a couple of beers in a local beer hall - remember to place your beer mat on top of your glass when you are done otherwise your glass will continue to miraculously fill itself -learnt that one the hard way.

Uvleku Pub is worth a visit - well known.

Carbide Finger
25th Apr 2005, 07:31
Great city.

The numbers on the menu next to any kind of meat is the weight of the portion size.

I didn't realise this until I had 3.5kgs of Roasted Smoked Pigs Knee on the table in front of me. It was however a fantastic meal.

You should have seen the smile on the waiters face when he brought the extra portion chips I had ordered!

CF