PDA

View Full Version : Cardiff-Longhaul flights!!!

pipertommy
22nd Apr 2005, 12:45
Cardiff is due to start longhaul flights next year with Thomson-fly!To read more see the airport website!Finally some positive news:O ( plus a Boeing 737-800 for european routes)

GW76
22nd Apr 2005, 13:29
Would that be Thomsonfly ?;)

pipertommy
22nd Apr 2005, 14:04
Oop`s cheers !!Thank you my fellow Scot!:O Corrected

WindSheer
22nd Apr 2005, 19:39
This could cause some massive problems at CWL. The fact that the pier has to be sterile for all flights departing to the US is a headache. This happening daily could cause sever disruption to the regulars!!

Stand allocation could be a headache aswell. The airbridges have to be used fairly, but this could then result in one of the 767's being remotely parked - good fun filling those buses.

Time will tell!!

GrahamK
22nd Apr 2005, 22:29
1 Boeing 767-300ER a day surely wont pose any problems for CWL?

BRS_Dispatch
23rd Apr 2005, 08:10
Shouldn't really cause a problem. 752/762 on 6 with the 763 on 9 or vice versa. That means that 7 is free for the air 2 bob 320. Plenty of stands for the 738's and when Baby pull out there will be another 2 free stands.

WindSheer
23rd Apr 2005, 08:18
BRS_Dispatch that is my point entirely.
You have immediately pionted out that 6 and 9 will be occupied by BY, although that can't be the case.

If is to be done fairly then others have to have a share of the bridges. The other residents at the moment are FCA and MYT/SSV. It will be completely wrong if they alternate between stand 7 whilst the two BY's are on the other bridges.
Remember CWL like to charge for the use of the ambilift!!!

But more importantly as I mentioned above, the three bridges are all on the same pier, If you have a SFB going out the pier needs to be sterile. There could be two other a/c going to med' destinations at the same time.
Could be fun:uhoh:

BRS_Dispatch
23rd Apr 2005, 10:05
Depending on what time the flights depart, there is no reason why the long haul aircraft can't be parked on 14 and towed onto a bridge once all the bucket and spade flights have departed. So a "strile" pier wont be a problem. Does the weekly SFB flight cause a problem at the moment? Not really. Besides, if a US flight is parked on 9, gates 2, 3, 4 and 5 can still be used.

terrier21
23rd Apr 2005, 10:17
TECH STOP!!! HA HA HA
(sorry had to get that in!)

WindSheer
23rd Apr 2005, 12:57
The weekly SFB does cause problems for the others, as it seems everything has to come to a stand still for it.

Tech stop??
Na, Us Welsh boys have a longer length of tarmac between our legs!!!;)

aeroconejo
23rd Apr 2005, 13:23
Tech stops will be very rare. A Britannia 763 has been operating from CWL to BGI (Bridgetown, Barbados) through the winter with no problems.

On the subject of techstops.....there is a sweepstake at CWL to pick the date of the first Tech Stop for the Continental 757 from Wurzel Int'l to EWR :}

aero :cool:

BRS_Dispatch
23rd Apr 2005, 14:33
On the subject of techstops.....there is a sweepstake at CWL to pick the date of the first Tech Stop for the Continental 757 from Wurzel Int'l to EWR

I say May 20th...:ok:

The weekly SFB does cause problems for the others, as it seems everything has to come to a stand still for it

It dosn't. I have dispatched a VZ 763 to SFB parked on 9 whilst an TS A330 on stand 14 was being borded (using buses) through gate 4.

aeroconejo
23rd Apr 2005, 21:59
BRS_dispatch is beginning to sound like speedbird_heavy

:hmm:

aero

:ok:

WindSheer
24th Apr 2005, 14:43
I think your right.....:ok:

Ranger 1
24th Apr 2005, 17:15
BRS_Dispatch, bet you a pint it won't Tec stop CWL:}

MerchantVenturer
24th Apr 2005, 17:49
In the press release on the Cardiff Airport official website is the following sentence relating to the long haul routes to be commenced next year.

The airline's new programme for summer 2006 features direct long haul flights to Cancun in Mexico and Puerto Plata in the Dominican Republic, both of which are a first for Wales and the West Country.

Well, I have a fairly strong recollection that in summer 1998 BY flew fortnightly from CWL to Puerto Plata, possibly via somewhere like GLA.

Around that time BRS had occasional charters to the Dominican Republic as well, but almost certainly not non-stop.

BRS_Dispatch
24th Apr 2005, 19:41
BRS_dispatch is beginning to sound like speedbird_heavy

Nah...Never heard of that member before...:E

BRS_Dispatch, bet you a pint it won't Tec stop CWL

Proberbly not because a little bird has told me that they are having problems shifting seats!

bycrewlgw
25th Apr 2005, 06:55
Yeah BY did operate flights to POP it was a LTN-CWL-POP flight.

Vampy
25th Apr 2005, 07:07
The airline's new programme for summer 2006 features direct long haul flights to Cancun in Mexico and Puerto Plata in the Dominican Republic, both of which are a first for Wales and the West Country.

and.....

Well, I have a fairly strong recollection that in summer 1998 BY flew fortnightly from CWL to Puerto Plata, possibly via somewhere like GLA.

The emphasis here is on the word 'direct'. Yes they may have had flights to Puerto Plata in 1998, but they weren't direct as they went through Glasgow (or Luton).........

WATABENCH
25th Apr 2005, 07:51
Well done on your long haul services my over the bridge friends, but what the hell happened to this EK deal????????? thought the announcement was imminent? 5 months ago now?:E

Hobo
25th Apr 2005, 08:05
BRS what makes you say "when baby pull out"? they seem to be doing ok at CWL.

alterego
25th Apr 2005, 10:51
Lots of people have predicted the end of Baby at CWL.

The truth is Baby will stay and may even grow. The deal with the Red Dragon boys seems to be working okay. The base as a whole is profitable.

Of course time will tell but it could be a long time!

MerchantVenturer
25th Apr 2005, 11:29
The emphasis here is on the word 'direct'. Yes they may have had flights to Puerto Plata in 1998, but they weren't direct as they went through Glasgow (or Luton).........
Vampy,

Thanks for that - I had half a feeling the press statement was playing the semantics game.

I think most non-industry SLFs (the majority of the SLF species and it includes me) would consider such flights more accurately labelled as 'non stop'.

I was always under the iompression that 'direct' could include an intermediate stop but not a change of aircraft.

Anyway, the main thing is some more long haul routes from this sector of Britain. Let's hope they are a success - I don't see why they shouldn't be.