PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter Pilots = Criminals

Spunk
22nd Apr 2005, 11:43
Reading some earlier posts containing words such as "legal advice, crime against, etc." made a thought crossing my mind again.

Are all helicopter pilots criminals???

I used to work for a company where there wasn't a single pilot, besides me of course :} , who hasn't been accused at least once of offending against some kind of air law.
In most cases the company lawyer, by that time you want him to be considered working full time :} , was smarter than the counterparty and only in some cases the pilots were actually convicted.
We had all sorts of accusations: flying too low, flying too high, non-authorized off-airport landing, noise complaints, flying in svfr without having the svfr minimas, endangering a crowd of curious onlookers, hindering police work, flying into restricted areas which haven't been established when we departed. etc....

For some reason in all those cases I had the impression that for helicopter pilots it's no longer "innocent until proven guilty" but "guilty until proven innocent". Even some local politicians spoke up and announced on public TV that "I will personally take charge that those pilots are brought to book".

Well, well, is this antipathy against us pilots justified, is it because in the past we failed to speak up to acchieve our own interests but were always more concerned about cooperating with the rest of the world (mainly school teachers :8 coming home from work at 1:00 pm) or is it really just people being jealous????

Me, for my part, I'm sick and tired of people complaining about noise made by helicopters, about helicopters being a potential risk for nuclear power plants and I'm totally fed up with having to ask some :mad: "Greenies" before I want to go some place.

Comments????

Vfrpilotpb
22nd Apr 2005, 15:33
Spunk,

Some of us Brits could feel that way about the way that certain blinkered members of the press and public go on with regard to Four wheel drive vehicle owners, after all why do we need a vehicle thats got the ability to go on the unbroken soil of our native County's,

Some people just love to join a group of Anoraks just to be able to complain about anything, Take it on the jaw, and smile at em, nothing gets em madder than a nice smile!!:) :cool: ;)

Vfr

Lu Zuckerman
22nd Apr 2005, 17:27
To: Spunk

.....about helicopters being a potential risk for nuclear power plants

I was hired by the Atomic Energy Agency base at Richland, Washington to determine the probability of a helicopter hitting the reactor building. The only helicopters in the area were two A-Stars, both of which were operated by pilots working for the Atomic Energy Commission.

I tried to convey the futility of the analysis but they insisted. I finally came up with the probability of 1 10 9 and they accepted that figure. I submitted my report and it took over six years of vetting and the report was never submitted to the Atomic Energy Commission who commissioned the report in the first place.

During that time they closed their aviation division so there were no more helicopters that could hit the reactor building. After 9-11 they reopened the aviation division and unless there was a pilot that was suicidal there never would be a collision between the helicopter and the reactor building or possibly, one time in 2,739,726 Years.

:E :E

22nd Apr 2005, 20:47
'teachers coming home from work at 1:00 pm'

I should be so lucky. If I could, I'd get a part time afternoon job to pay for some flying ..

Rich Lee
26th Apr 2005, 18:33
one time in 2,739,726 Years Perhaps, but that one time could be tomorrow.

Lu Zuckerman
26th Apr 2005, 19:15
To: Rich Lee

Based on the laws of probability you are correct. However the pilot would be dead before he got near enough to the reactor. These aircraft carried a crew of three heavily armed ex US Army Rangers and/or US Navy Seals and they would kill the pilot if their death was imminent. Either that or they would collectively point the muzzles of their weapons at the pilots’ head forcing him to land..

:E :E

helmet fire
26th Apr 2005, 23:07
Rich,
....and Yellowstone goes off every 600,000 to 700,000 years in a super eruption. We are at the 680,000 mark, so you have a 1 in 20,000 chance of this.

makes the 1 in 2,739,726 for something far less dangerous (assuming here that the inertia of the helicopter was sufficient to penetrate the building structure and get to the core) look a little irrelevant n'est pas?

Oh, and Yellowstone could go off tomorrow. Hi to all you Californians!!

Meatbomber
27th Apr 2005, 07:49
let`s think about this real quick...

HUGE massively reinforced concrete structure vers. 5000lb helicopter ...

well i guess it`s not as massive a threat afterall ;)

Vfrpilotpb
27th Apr 2005, 09:40
Ah but!

Dont you think some clever Turban headed pilot may have a DU tipped Heli!!!;)

Vfr

ShyTorque
28th Apr 2005, 12:24
Possibly, yes! Some rotor blades have DU tip weights.