PDA

View Full Version : Another BRS downer

Fool's Hole
22nd Apr 2005, 09:00
Bristol INTERNATIONAL Airport has just 2 customs personnel and indeed desks on entry into terminal after a flight.
I was SLF yesterday and was shocked to join a queue of 3 loads of inbounds in that little "cow milking" rural room of theirs.

It took the best part of 10 minutes to get to the desk to be shown through. I find it disgusting, moreover - the passengers surrounding me were all commenting too.

If bristol INTERNATIONAL wants to be seen to be doing the business then DO IT RIGHT. Invest in a couple more desks and personnel. Reduce the queues, get the travelling public to want to return, not like me - feeling disgusted.

disgruntled Fool's Hole, not an a**e hole!

terrier21
22nd Apr 2005, 09:34
Fools Hole or A##e Hole well I am not that sure.

Do you mean Immagration?!!!

If you do I think you will find that the airport has more than two personnel and you will probably find that the airport is looking at putting in a 3rd channel.

As Im sure you can appreciate with your apparent knowledge the airport is being extended and can only do one thing at a time!

ATNotts
22nd Apr 2005, 10:17
....and if the UK grew up and joined the Schengen area you'd be able to get through to baggage reclaim in no time.

No chance of that though!

MerchantVenturer
22nd Apr 2005, 18:15
I'm confused by this post as well.

The Customs and Excise staff usually deal with pax after they have collected their bags from the carousel. In my experience as a fairly regular pax at BRS the Customs presence is irregular. Sometimes there seem to be none present at all. And anyway, has the airport any say in Customs staffing levels?

If you do actually mean the Immigration personnel, again does an airport have an input into the number of staff allocated to it?

I note you say 'Another BRS downer'. What are the others?

I have had a look at some of your previous posts and you seem to have a thing about BRS being rural. Well, it is situated in the countryside, but I guess that any attempt to site it in the middle of Bristol might meet one or two objections, even if a flat site could be found in such a hilly city.

And because it is in a rural location, does this make it second class in some way?

WindSheer
22nd Apr 2005, 19:30
He means Immigration.

Its a fact at BRS at the moment that the immigration guys are at their capacity.
The airport have mucked up big time - they have invested money into departures but seem to forget about arrivals.

Its the same at most airports, they dont realise that 50% of their passengers are arriving and not departing.

The summer at BRS will be chaos if they are not careful.:uhoh:

BRS30
22nd Apr 2005, 20:41
I believe that alot of work is going into the whole area before immigration, to make sure that the summer is managed.

Possible 3 desks for this summer and a proposed increase for the following summer.

The whole arrivals area is undergoing massive development both Intl and domestic.

I am sure that no one wants the summer to be 'chaos'

Standard Noise
22nd Apr 2005, 21:24
Fool's Hole - here's an idea for you, go and use another airport! No one is forcing you to use Bristol.:mad:

Anyway, three weeks ago, I arrived back at Stansted from Italy and there were only 5 of the 'sour faced passport checkers' on duty, it took 20 mins to get past the desk and another 40 mins to get our luggage.
So it seems the bigger airports aren't really much better. You should try Stansted sometime, it might make you appreciate what an easy airport it really is to use.

Pandy
23rd Apr 2005, 04:55
10 mins isn't that bad. Arrived 17.30 LHR T3 (ex AUH) on Good Friday & it took at least 15 mins for Euro passports holders to get through immigration, whilst the 'alien' desks were almost empty & (mostly) staffed. And Good Friday was a quiet day. Delays regularly occur at T3 for Euros where, guess what, there are only principle two desks.

You can get into Saudi Arabia faster as an alien and they really do have strict immigration procedures.

WindSheer
23rd Apr 2005, 08:10
Heathrow has got to be the worst for bags!

You come in on a long haul flight, then your bags have to make another longhaul journey from the parking stand to belt number 546645778C :p

WATABENCH
23rd Apr 2005, 08:36
Actually I used LHR T3 last month and cleared immigration and picked up bags in approx 40 mins, hell of a lot better than the 1.5 hrs it took to clear in JFK! I also used BHX in aug, I had my bag and was off in about 25 mins.
Even after your hour long wait in the queue in BRS you still have to wait another hour for your bags!! why rush things maaaaaaaaaaaan, this is the west country, as the spanish would say 'Manyana'!! or the Jamaicans would say 'just chill man' or as us lot would say 'take your time my babers' hmmmm
:}

Fool's Hole
23rd Apr 2005, 17:28
OK guys, I meant IMMIGRATION!
I thought 10 minutes was just too long in a never ending S bend, only to be met by a "Sour Faced" to$$er at the end of it.
Being the age I am, I have no time left for anything but the good things in life, no patience - hell I have earnt it.
Spending it in a queue is not one of them!

Cheers FH

BRS_Dispatch
23rd Apr 2005, 18:06
Buy a personal jet then.....

redfield
23rd Apr 2005, 22:30
On his salary?:}

terrier21
24th Apr 2005, 09:03
I think the problem you will find is Space!!!

Meaning if you have 500 people waiting in an area the size of a tennis court it will look and feel longer than if you are are all in say the size of a football pitch. That is the reason the barriers are there. Not ideal I know but if you have two flights down with no barriers they will be all the way up the stairs and out of the doors.

Say you wait 10 mins for immagration to let you through the time you wait for your baggage appears less. Often you can walk from stand 4 clear immagration and have your baggage waiting for you!

Avman
24th Apr 2005, 10:20
....and if the UK grew up and joined the Schengen area you'd be able to get through to baggage reclaim in no time

aah yes, and make it even easier for the millions of "refugees" who want to come to soft Britain! :rolleyes:

I'd like to see visas reintroduced for all nationalities entering Great Britain :E

ATNotts
24th Apr 2005, 12:09
The issues of Schengen and Refugees are totally different.

What do you suppose happens when a "refugee" lands up at an immigration desk. Why, he/she says to the nice officer "I would like to apply for assylum" - and the officer duly lets them in, and they go through a ridiculous appeals process, lose their, appeal and disappear into the UK (or for that matter any other EU state's) underclass and black enonomy.

The don't get chucked on the next flight home (more's the pity).

Sometimes you would think that the UK is the only European country that has a "problem" with immigration and assylum. We (in UK) really should get out more!

- sorry, totally off-topic.

nivsy
26th Apr 2005, 16:52
Interesting discussion. Used BRS a lot and while I commend the flight increases do agree that baggage pick up and immigration - for the amounts of movements - are a little shoddy. Arrived once and Easy Jet captain (flight from Glasgow) proudly announced his 25 minutes ahead of schedule arrival - then promptly apologised that its unlikely ground staff and baggage handlers will be their to meet us on stand as they had 3 other arrivals to deal with. As it was (doemstic arrival and i had hand baggage no idea how long the delay was). Anyway i still think BRS does very well for its size bearing in mind the choice of increasing destinations and also lets be honest as previously stated route via LHR and after your mile long walk to baggage reclaim you still have another 45 mins to wait more or less.

Nivsy.

terrier21
26th Apr 2005, 19:41
Recently it has taken on average 14 minutes for the first bag to arrive off an Easyjet flight, Easyjet have been informed that Servisair will try to get their bags offloaded within 20 minutes. Charter flights are obviously longer but surely common sense would tell you that if you arrive along with 4 other flights chances are you are goibg to have to wait a little bit longer than usual.