PDA

View Full Version : Baron Wheels-up Durban International

Life'sShort-FlyFast
22nd Apr 2005, 07:58
I understand that a Baron 58 ZS-NAH did a wheels up landing last night at DIA. Apparently numerous attempts were made to get the wheels down with no luck. The flight had some or other government official on board. The aircraft was landed on the grass and the job was well done, no injuries.

Solid Rust Twotter
22nd Apr 2005, 08:11
Another 58 with gear problems. Had one at FAPE just a couple of months back.

Maintenance issues? Are these aircraft being released to service by the unlicenced inspectors at SACAA? Wild stabs in the dark here so more info when it's available would help clarify.

Gunship
22nd Apr 2005, 09:28
Two down on the same day - both with politicians on board .. :yuk:

Beta Light
22nd Apr 2005, 13:31
Only politicians can afford to fly charter Guns,.............. with TAXPAYERS money.

Kep Ten Jim
23rd Apr 2005, 18:34
Why did he choose to land on the grass? You do a lot more damage landing on grass than tar in a wheels up.

Gunship
23rd Apr 2005, 19:31
KTJ , I pressume you know what you are talking about.

Every wheels up I have seen was done on grass with very little damage.

Would like to hear more about your statement - I would have never even give it a though :ok:

Thanks

Gunss

skytops
23rd Apr 2005, 19:37
Its not quite as clear cut as that, at least without other information, is it Jim?
E.g. soft wet grass vs hard grass? If he was commited to land at DIA then there is the consideration of having the seal runway closed while debris is cleaned up? If airport unable (not willing?) to lay foam down on main runway then less fire risk on grass?

Gunship
23rd Apr 2005, 19:49
Yip Skytops I am also thinking along your lines.

In the late 70's and 80's C210's had this habbit of stuck wheels (and I think retrac 182's as well) and I saw 3-4 at one Airport alone.

Do not know if there was no foam available or what but everyone was planted on the grass with minimal damage. :ok:

I can only assume that foam is a big factor ?

Kep Ten Jim
24th Apr 2005, 01:25
Not much in it with an aeroplane the size of a Baron, I suppose. But the heavier the aircraft, the heavier it sits on its belly. Any slight protrusion - gear doors, panels, etc. tend to dig into the earth and get ripped back or at least, buckled. Tar offers much less resistance and although there's more of an abrasive effect from tar, there's not the same amount of buckling and twisting.

Beta Light
24th Apr 2005, 02:56
As an instructor I was tought , and I trained my pup's to consider grass, as Guns said for preserving runway and more importantly more friction = less stopping distance. Also less chance of fire. Keep in mind the big picture, is grass well maintaned ( as is the case in Durb's) I am also talking light aircraft here.

In this case, no blood , good job!

Pity about the politician....

Chase
24th Apr 2005, 06:24
it's true, i have seen a aircraft land on grass before with wheels up. it created alot of damage to the aircraft. it is better to put it down on the tar rather than grass. i know from first hand experience.

Gunship
24th Apr 2005, 09:54
Chase your first name is not Spof perhaps :E

Sorry silly joke .. and only the "older generation" wil remeber ;)

Well as in the PE Wheels up thread where the guy had minimal damage on tar I think the crux to me will be the maintenance of the grass !

I have seen some excellent grass sides but just as bad one's as well.

KTJ - yip you are right re the doors and extra's as well (The C210 is very clean - so maybe that was a big factor !) ?

cherokee160
24th Apr 2005, 10:54
true true, the maintainence of the grass plays a big role. so once again, if one land on tar u know that the tar will be hard and smooth, no dumps and lumps. so you will know what to expect.

grass however is unpredictable, with it's ditches etc etc

thats my take on the situation anyway. :D

ou Trek dronkie
24th Apr 2005, 11:37
Gunss,

I definitely agree - concrete, for the reasons stated above at least. Lots of things hidden in the grass !

Beta Light :

Not a very clever remark, ou kêrel and one which might bounce back on Pprune, especially if the lady or gentleman were of a certain disposition. You are not the only offender.

oTd

:O