PDA

View Full Version : Question for RAF Loadmasters.

Jeff72
22nd Apr 2005, 03:26
Hi,

I am would like to speak to some RAF helicopter Loadmasters and Pilots regarding the loadmaster training process.

My question is regarding the conduct of sorties in which both the pilot and loadmaster are under instruction. I have been advised this occurs from essentially day one for both.

I would appreciate some information on exactly how much of the training is shared and at which point in the training cycle this occurs.

Regards
Jeff Nicholson

heights good
22nd Apr 2005, 15:57
The quick and easy answer is from the minute you start flying training. Rotary guys are allocated something like 15-18hrs for dedicated crewman costed sorties from starting flying training to combat ready status. This is spread out over approx 2 1/2 yrs.

Heights good

Tiger_mate
22nd Apr 2005, 16:13
"My question is regarding the conduct of sorties in which both the pilot and loadmaster are under instruction. I have been advised this occurs from essentially day one for both."

Not true, the pilots have already completed a Squirrel course in basic handling and instrument flying. They are far beyond ALM (or WSO as they now are) when they start their training. Some Crewmen have never flown on a helicopter at all; joining pilots with 50+hours already under their belt.

Crewman do only get about 20 hours dedicated, the remainder of their training is done second fiddle to a student pilot. However it works quite well, especially when twice as many pilots are being trained and therefore each crewman can complete an exercise twice or more.

I would appreciate some information on exactly how much of the training is shared and at which point in the training cycle this occurs.

The "join" point is the pilots advanced multi engine stage using the twin engined Griffin or Bell 412EP. This is the first time that the pilots have worked other than single pilot.