PDA

View Full Version : CPAP Machine

toothpic
21st Apr 2005, 23:22
Hi,
Having recently been diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnoea, I am now using a CPAP (Constant Positive Airway Pressure) machine whilst I sleep.
My wife and I are hoping to fly long haul later this year, possibly to South Africa, or maybe HK.
Has anyone any experience of using a CPAP machine on a flight, obviously it requires a 240 electrical supply. Will I have to fly business class or will the facilities for a power supply be available in economy, obviously as yet I dont have details of the specific flight/ a/c type, but wondered if anyone has any usefull experience of this problem.
Toothpic

patdavies
22nd Apr 2005, 12:11
I have one of these - a Remstar Auto. It has a 12v input as well as AC mains.

You can purchase a car adaper/empower adapter so it can be used on the aircraft seat supply - it draws a maximum of 70 watts the same as a laptop.

Some airlines do not allow anything but laptops to be plugged in, and then not just to charge them - BA take note.

PAXboy
22nd Apr 2005, 13:33
No direct experience. I would write to the carriers on the route and tell them your situation. Make it celar that you have not YET booked and asked if they can assit you. Use the results of these to plan your flight!

If you go to South Africa: from the UK, there are four direct carriers. from Gatwick, Nationwide and then SAA, BA, VAA from LHR. The journey to JNB is about 10.5 hrs and CPT about 12.0 hrs flying time non-stop.

In my experience, in-seat power is only available in Premium Economy / World Traveller Plus and above. However, I think that both of these seats are worth the extra money/Frequent Flyer Miles.

It would be interesting to hear, in due course, the reaction that you get from the carriers!

timmyneedham
23rd Apr 2005, 21:35
I've got one but it is a Fisher-Paykel and has a water chamber to moisten the air. I have to say that I have not tried to take it on board because the water leakage potential would make it a no-no. Also, I can't imagine what it would be like trying to get the thing through security. '....er, it's a machine which helps me sleep' ...etc etc...
In any case as someone who has had a machine for some years, it won't kill you to sleep without it for a night. I have taken mine all over the world with no problems, and pretty much the only nights I have not used it have been nights when I have been on board an aircraft.

One more thing, used properly it will transform your life.

PM me if you want any other help or advice.

TN

toothpic
24th Apr 2005, 22:02
Hi all,
Thanks for the all advice, having looked my unit has a 12V supply connection, and although it has a water chamber it is removeable, so thats ok. Tim I would love not to use it for the flight, but as it is long haul I wouldnt want the other passengers to have to endure my snoring, compared by my wife quite favourably to a very noisy jet engine.... LOL

Will let u know if I get any decent feedback from carriers.

Kev

ExSimGuy
29th Apr 2005, 19:30
Good luck - keep us posted!

But does your wife mean "like a R-R Spey", or a more environmentally-friendly R-R Trent? :O

(I mis-read the original post - thought it said "C*AP machine" and was MOST intrigued!)

Gouabafla
30th Apr 2005, 16:13
(I mis-read the original post - thought it said "C*AP machine" and was MOST intrigued!)

Me too. I thought it was another Boeing versus Airbus thread

patdavies
1st May 2005, 22:43
I have always had my machine as carry-on - it's just too fragile and too important to go in the hold.

Never had any problems with security - it is after all marked as medical equipment.

Rabid Dog
11th May 2005, 03:11
My patients have not had any trouble getting the machine through security etc., but it always helps to have a letter from your doctor.
As to whether you can use it in-flight, I would think that your chances are pretty slim - maybe you'll ahve to catch a daylight flight, or arrive a bit more tired thatn usual.
Good Luck!
RD.

montafon
12th May 2005, 11:27
It might be worth mentioning that once when watching the airport fly on the wall documentary about LHR someone was featured taking one of these on Quantas, who seemed very helpful...

apaddyinuk
12th May 2005, 13:03
Well its all very simple. People with various medical requirements need to fly and the airlines do know this. All you need to do toothpic is get a letter from your doctor confirming that you are fit to fly but you require this device to be with you throughout the flight, then contact the airline you hope to fly with and they will get their Health Services in touch with you and they will sort it all out without any problems I would imagine.
I remember having a passenger with a device attached to them that went into their bloodstream for some reason (not a doctor and i wasnt really dealing with it so im clueless) which had a portable battery supply with it. They flight was only 8 hours so it lasted but obviously CPT or HKG is a lot further then that!