PDA

View Full Version : FI(R) employment etc

SEL
21st Apr 2005, 22:04
As a recently qualified FI(R) with a CPL rated on the usual piston types, I would greatly appreciate any advice about actually getting paid to fly. Having tried all my contacts and endless emails, posts and phone calls, all I’ve had are vague promises when things pick up. So, what do you folk reckon, any other ideas? Anything I’ve missed?

Camp Freddie
21st Apr 2005, 23:56
hey Mr SEL,

did you do the FI(R) course at the school you normally fly ? or did you travel to somewhere else to do it?

I say this because in my experience many people get started at the place where they are most known and have spent a lot of money.

I have never instructed at any other school other than the one where I did my instructor course and all the other instructors at the same place also did the course there.

while you were spending all that money were you working on the networking side of things? or just vaguely hoping that a complete stranger would be more than happy to hire you ?

regards

CF

thecontroller
22nd Apr 2005, 02:53
Blimey. Are things really that bad in the UK? What if you have close to 1,000 (piston) hours. Are there more opportunities?

TheFlyingSquirrel
22nd Apr 2005, 08:32
The UK seems to be full of desperate operators all fighting for survival - telling you anything to extract every last penny from you with false promises of work and prospects - The business model is wrong - the American system of pile it high and sell it cheap is much more productive - I know the costs are higher here in fuel, but they really don't do a lot to help themselves. £250 per training hour against $225? The way instructors are paid in the UK ensures ground school is minimal and generally very bad - At least the Yanks charge you for it so you can complain at the end if it's no good !

Whirlybird
22nd Apr 2005, 10:35
Well, since I need more work I'm not sure I should tell you how to compete with me!

OTOH, if we don't help each other, no-one else will.

I found that emails and letters were a waste of time. Phone calls are OK, but make it clear that you're prepared to do anything - part time, trial lessons only, filling in when required. See if you can leave them a phone number so they can phone you if someone's off sick or similar.

But better still, drop in. Say you were just passing. Look presentable, be friendly, convince them you're the sort of person that students will like. They know you can fly, so it's personality and willingness to do what others won't that might make the difference.

Then, if you get offered ANYTHING, take it. Even if it's a two hour drive for a half hour trial lesson. You've got to start somewhere. Mind you, I once turned down a three hour drive each way for a twenty minute trial lesson...but I'm not even sure if that was a good move.

I know someone who got started by offering to find his own students. I got offered that at the start, and agreed. It's hard, but not impossible. So it could be worth suggesting.

And don't go anywhere that I might want to.;) :)

And if it works, remember that you owe me one. And please mention my name when the school needs yet another instructor. ;) :ok:

Telstar
22nd Apr 2005, 12:18
SEL, Check your PMs.

Spunk
23rd Apr 2005, 16:35
Here is a good one.... start your own flight school. :}

CRAZYBROADSWORD
23rd Apr 2005, 16:45
Just how far should you have to bend over to get airbourne why should pilots who are some of the most hard working taleted people I know have to put up with a load of ****e just to earn peanuts.I say put your face around pester people with CV's and if they need you they will call but don't lower your standards or else how are the rest of us in the industry ever gonna be able to get good conditions if there is always someone who will do it for less.

Whirlybird
23rd Apr 2005, 18:47
CRAZYBROADSWORD,
I just re-read this whole thread. Please tell me how networking and being prepared to work anywhere when needed in order to get a foothold in the industry equates to "putting up with ****e" or "doing it for less". :confused:

CRAZYBROADSWORD
23rd Apr 2005, 20:42
You know I would but I know who you are..........................