PDA

View Full Version : 20th century Roadshow

candoo
21st Apr 2005, 21:13
Interesting programme - no doubt many like me looking to see any value in stuff we chucked away and will regret forever.

Best bit for me was the guy from Amsterdam who had a collection of 400 (I think) airline "hostess" outfits. Some brought back memories - BCal in the 70's :yuk: , some were clearly just impossible to work with on a busy aeroplane. More importantly this guy has severe collectors respect from me, even if I find the subject a little bizarre.

Then we had the concorde peeps - a new thread perchance?

Onan the Clumsy
21st Apr 2005, 21:28
You mean this guy (http://www.uniformfreak.com)?

He's also a prooner (http://www.pprune.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=165345&highlight=uniformfreak)

jabberwok
22nd Apr 2005, 03:22
Not bizarre at all - those uniforms are a integral part of aviation heritage. I bet they bring back more than a few memories to Pruners too..

More to the point - should we have a vote on the best and the worst? Uniforms I mean - not the contents.

;)

BlueDiamond
22nd Apr 2005, 03:37
When we said farewell to Ansett, some of the cabin crew turned up in uniforms from times past ... attracted much attention too.

There are probably many things tucked away in attics or sheds all over the place that have enormous value and go unrecognised until someone comes along and says, "Oooh look ... a Rembrandt/Stradivarius/gold doubloon or whatever. There's value in "junk."

:ok:

candoo
22nd Apr 2005, 08:12
Onan - that's the one!

Cliff - As I said respect for the collection and you surely have one of the best claims to add to the "been on television" thread.

teeteringhead
22nd Apr 2005, 13:56
Oooh look ... a Rembrandt/Stradivarius/gold doubloon or whatever Have to do the Tommy Cooper joke here:

TC walks on stage witha violin and a painting.

"This is a Stradivarius and a Rembrandt"

pause

"unfortunately"

pause

"Rembrandt made [email protected] violins and Stradivarius was a [email protected] painter!"

Boom boom!

Bern Oulli
22nd Apr 2005, 18:51
The item that brought back memories for me was the 1960's Vauxhall Cresta in yellow and white. I had one the same colour when I was a sprog ATCO cadet. Ah, that wonderful bench seat at the front. However, this vehicle on the road show had an onboard record player!. Mounted in the dashboard and played 45's with the centre knocked out like what they put in juke boxes. Slot at the front and slide it in like a giant CD. I never knew that.

candoo
22nd Apr 2005, 19:54
Bern Oulli - also thought that fantastic, way ahead of it's time, a record player in your car! Guess it was better for smooching to when parked up rather than blasting out down bumpy country roads.

MadsDad
23rd Apr 2005, 12:15
Bern Oulli. I didn't see the program (and I don't remember a car dashboard mounted record player) but I do remember a 'personal mobile record player' being marketed, in about the mid 60's which sounds similar (it was a sort of pre walkman walkman).

This was a box, the size of a large handbag, that you slung over your shoulder. The records (45s) went into a slot in the top. I remember the stylus was mounted on a track that ran over the record (a swinging arm wouldn't have worked, of course). Anyway you hung this over your shoulder, put your record in then wandered down the road listening to it.

I don't think I ever saw one for real and as far as I know it wasn't a major success.

Bern Oulli
23rd Apr 2005, 19:17
Well, you learn something every day. And Candoo, speaking of smooching, that bench front seat, no floor mounted gear change or handbrake to get in the way, no seat belt of course. You could be horizontal almost before the car stopped. Brilliant design.