PDA

View Full Version : What is MAM? (Qantas)

I Just Want To Fly
21st Apr 2005, 12:20
Greetings to everyone.

Thank you so much for sharing all your experience and knowledge and gossip.

Can someone explain what MAM means...

For those of us who are only just starting the process of applying, let alone interviewing...

Cheers

SkySista
21st Apr 2005, 13:34
Recall this being asked a while ago...

will tell you what I know... which is very little! :}

MAM = Maurice Alexander Management. Company which provides the casual crew for QF.

MAM site (http://www.mam.net.au)

Feel free to correct me Oz, Iguana, Rollz, et al.... ;)

Sky

Iguanahead
22nd Apr 2005, 00:34
Spot on SkySista.

Mam supply casual crew for Short Haul QF. It seems of late this is the only way you get to fly with QF, hasn't been permanent employment for some time. The Mamers seem pretty happy with the conditions so "I Just Want To Fly" good luck with the application.

Cheers. :ok:

I Just Want To Fly
23rd Apr 2005, 16:40
Thanks for the info.

I submitted my info on the MAM website. Does anyone know if they are looking, or how long it normally takes from here.

Cheers

OZcabincrew
25th Apr 2005, 13:56
It took me a year and a half to get the job. However i went through the whole Qantas recruitment process, not MAM. Qantas are back doing the interviewing for casuals now, if Adecco were still doing the interviewing, you would've had the job by now and already be flying! Thank God they've gone!

Oz

jb_flyer
25th Apr 2005, 14:33
Is that so Oz? :E

lol, some are STILL waiting! Initially interviewed in September, and having heard a total of 0 information since the panel interview a week later...

But I do know my references were checked, and that the file is still there!

LOL, but my wait time is stil significantly less then you guys, who were on a wiating list for ever. At least you had an answer but! hehehe

Oh well... back to limbo land.

JB

OZcabincrew
26th Apr 2005, 05:26
Hi!!!!!

jb_flyer, i don't know what's happening in Perth as next month there are about 40 PER long haulers transferring to PER short haul due to the downsizing of the PER long haul base. I don't know what effect that will have on any more casual recruitment? As you know, its all been a bit quiet lately.

Oz

jb_flyer
26th Apr 2005, 10:32
Oh yeah well aware of all the reasons why Perth is a little different at the moment... Must be hard for ll your guys out on the coalface as well.

My only hope is that MAM will not become oversaturated. Being the only way in at the moment, makes it difficult otherwise, but the worst thing I can see happening is that too many people are employed. The minute there is a slump in flying (locally, regionally wherever) you guys will be the first to loose out... Lets hope they take into consideration the guys who have been there for the Long Term when allocating hours etc.

Or even better... find you guys permanant jobs like you were told, but as has been said before, who knows! QF changes on a daily basis...

JB

gigs
26th Apr 2005, 21:53
well im constantly being made non av to accomadate work for the new people.their is no preference given for years yes years of service for being a casual.you can get many many hours and great trips if you are a special person and thats putting it nice.i guess qf want to role you out after a few years and replace you with fresh staff.they better try harder because its not working. cheers gigs

oh yes forgot to write must remember to buy that free duty free for crewing/no their not at all like that but yes some are/and,yes i comdem it totaly.gigs

OZcabincrew
27th Apr 2005, 02:52
Hi!!

I agree gigs. I have heard of one or two people who have befriended one or two people in central and are continuously getting the trips etc while some people are being converted to NREQ quite often. Central definately don't have a system of allocating hours fairly, and no one say it is on lowest hours first or alternating hours between individual ground schools, because that's not the case. I must admit though, i'd hate to be a scheduler, too hard!

Interesting times ahead! Didn't someone post on here recently, or maybe another thread, that if in the next EBA they manage to extend the time zone to 5 hours, short haul will possibly be getting Mumbai too????? hmmmmmmm

GalleyHag
27th Apr 2005, 05:13
You should try and have this issued addressed in your EBA.

gigs
27th Apr 2005, 05:57
we must be all telling porkies about allocations because the union says it just doesnt happen.......sounds strange for desk 1 to negotiate an eba and desk 2 to agree..i think its a very strange situation????...in any case upsetting staff by favouring others is counter productive for qf anyway.poeple want to work less/ i know i have.

OZcabincrew
27th Apr 2005, 06:38
Hi!

the situation of how crewing allocate and how certain people seem to get trips all the time etc has been brought up with Maurice and the union yet nothing seems to happen. I am happy that i have been getting the hours anyway and i don't know anyone in central, haha, infact i don't even call i wait for them to call me (apparently what we should be doing anyway per Maurice), but i can understand that if you aren't getting the hours, i understand people calling central & asking if there's any duties, makes sense i guess.

As said previously, i don't think they realise how much casuals can stuff the system around either, they will soon realise if they keep stuffing casuals around.

interesting times ahead!

Oz